Linux-CHM2PDF convertor now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
A simple Python script that converts CHM files into PDF files.
Requires:
  • chmlib
  • pychm
  • htmldoc
(Old versions require pdftk too)
All of these should be in your favourite distro repository. Currently it works on Linux (and probably most Unixen).
If you have bugs/problems/issues/questions, as a general advice use the Google group link at your right to post them, not my blog or personal emails (I answer the latter, but I want bug reports etc. to be public). If after the discussion we're sure we're dealing with a true bug, post it to the Issues.
Again: Bugs, problems etc. should be sent to the Google group. NOT as comments to the wiki pages, blog comments or anything else. Thanks!

*code.google.com/p/chm2pdf/

HowToInstall Installation instructions

Dependencies

You need those packages installed and working:
Gentoo:
  • chmlib
  • pychm
  • htmldoc
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Debian:
  • libchm
  • libchm-bin
  • libchm-dev
  • python-chm
  • html-doc
  • htmldoc-common
Analogous packages should exist on most other Linux/BSD distributions. Users have reported success on Mac OS X, however currently this is unsupported.
On Fedora, it has been reported that the chmlib package is missing some essential files. You need to look for chmlib-bin or to compile chmlib by hand.
If you install chmlib from source, do not forget to use the --enable-examples on chmLib, otherwise this script will throw a bunch of exceptions, and will fail.
If you use Mac OS X, and you use darwin ports (port on the cmdline), be aware that the chmlib will NOT be built with this option. You can, however, separately download chmlib and build it yourself with this option, install it, and then re-run the script.
Install
  • Download the archive
  • Unzip it (tar -xzvf chm2pdf-x.x.x.tar.gz)
  • Enter the directory
  • Become root
  • Type "python setup.py install"
  • Enjoy
*code.google.com/p/chm2pdf/wiki/HowToInstall

Hope it helps!
thanks to original source:
*www.karakas-online.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10275

F

FilledVoid

I think that QwertyManiac has something similar on his blog posted.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah it was the same one. Doesn't work out always though, some CHM with special contents fail to translate :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
reading programs are available like GnoChm or Xchm,but..editing ones were *not* there!

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
pdf editing is OK for my use in Linux!also there is some qt based pdf editor also available!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Even if u convert it into pdf, editing pdf's also isnt very good in linux, AFAIK.

Regards,
ray
PDFs are more widely supported across several devices (My phone, for example) and I also prefer a common format for all my documents so I convert them out. :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
CHM files are used by...u know..by knowledge hungry..who cannot afford or access those books..mostly...OK stops here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom