Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the good books I see on linux based topics are either ebooks or books from US costing upwards of 30$.

But I am looking for some cheap books in India, bangalore in particular. I need paper books, not digital books. Where can I get them ?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I wonder why you started this thread, dont you know abt Sapna book house (Gandhinagar/majestic) or Gangarams (MG Road)? You will get loads of linux related books there from almost all publications. if you are looking for second hand books then visit Avenu Road. You have to bargain a lot to get a good deal at avenu road ;)

I wonder why you started this thread, dont you know abt Sapna book house (Gandhinagar/majestic) or Gangarams (MG Road)? You will get loads of linux related books there from almost all publications. if you are looking for second hand books then visit Avenu Road. You have to bargain a lot to get a good deal at avenu road ;)
What :shock:
Sapna and gangarams have linux books ? I never remember seeing any. Can I get current generation valid books there ? For example, I am looking for Complete Gentoo Manual, Slackbook, Ubuntu Student's Guide and RHEL Courceware.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
What :shock:
Sapna and gangarams have linux books ? I never remember seeing any. Can I get current generation valid books there ? For example, I am looking for Complete Gentoo Manual, Slackbook, Ubuntu Student's Guide and RHEL Courceware.
some books
*www.sapnaonline.com/MoreInfoBK.aspx?lcID=EBK0186977
*www.sapnaonline.com/MoreInfoBK.aspx?lcID=EBK0163286
*www.sapnaonline.com/MoreInfoBK.aspx?lcID=EBK0180666
*www.sapnaonline.com/MoreInfoBK.aspx?lcID=EBK0091328
*www.sapnaonline.com/MoreInfoBK.aspx?lcID=EBK0069701

if the book which you want is not in stock then they can get it for you. Sapna is more customer friendly than gangarams

PS: I always see lots of Linux related book at those places.. did you check correctly? or were you looking at some other "Things" rather than searching for the books :D ;)

Well, the last time I visited sapna was as a non-geek. And I never ever went into gangarams, since it was located right next to my mom's old office so she could just get me any book I asked for. I guess things have changed today.

And WTH, Sapna has a website ? :shock:

Edit: And I didn't find Slackware manual and Gentoo Manual, the two MOST important books I want :(

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Edit: And I didn't find Slackware manual and Gentoo Manual, the two MOST important books I want :(
Man, get em printed. I have a printout of gentoo docs, but it's quite old now. If you want I can forward you the doc(yes unfortunately had to use it since there's no Oo.org at printing shops) you can update whatever is needed.
Slackbook can be easily printed out.
In mumbai, we have some printing shops where they charge 50p per page comes out quite cheap. The gentoo docs came out for about Rs. 400 including binding.

Also, for many books you have indian editions which are quite cheaper compared to original print. We can find a lot of it at Computer Bookshop, in Mumbai. You can check their website at *www.cb-india.com dunno if you have some similar shops in Bangalore.

Last edited:
Well, printing IS a good idea, but I thought there may be some cheap hard copies available in the market. I mean, if I can get Pirated Da Vinci Code for Rs. 55/-, shouldn't I be able to get Gentoo Manual for 60 atleast ?

Pat

Beyond Smart
Dude, be realistic. You expect Gentoo Manual to be available in Indian book-stores ?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
And I didn't find Slackware manual and Gentoo Manual, the two MOST important books I want :(
Can you please state the author and publisher for the books you want. If the book is published then you can ask sapna to get that for you. You cannot expect a book store to keep books which are not printed.

mehulved

Gentoo docs aren't available in print version. I don't think there's one for slackbook either.
And for Rs. 60? Are you even serious. You'll need to get in touch with some mass scale publisher or something for that.

Gentoo docs aren't available in print version. I don't think there's one for slackbook either.
And for Rs. 60? Are you even serious. You'll need to get in touch with some mass scale publisher or something for that.
I KNOW slackboot is available in print.
60 was just an idea, since there are so many obscure books in piracy bazaar... but I am ready to spend even 300 for a book if need comes.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Man, get em printed. I have a printout of gentoo docs, but it's quite old now. If you want I can forward you the doc(yes unfortunately had to use it since there's no Oo.org at printing shops) you can update whatever is needed.
Slackbook can be easily printed out.

Export to pdf in OOO and take for printing, that's what I do :)

I KNOW slackboot is available in print.
60 was just an idea, since there are so many obscure books in piracy bazaar... but I am ready to spend even 300 for a book if need comes.

Hey no piracy here, the future is open

^Yes , and also people who pirate books dont pay the author for writing the book either.
But isn't this book under GFDL ? :D

And I remember buying the entire Sherlock catalogue in a single volume, sold by a reputed company. The whole catalogue, small print, dual coloumn, no pics, and it was enormous. Cost me just 300 rupees. Why ? Because it was in Public Domain.

mehulved

But isn't this book under GFDL ? :D
It is, and you can approach some publisher and publish it too, giving proper credits of course.
Firstly who is going to collect and compile the documentation? Proof read it? Arrange it in a proper format?
That will require people to research around and collect enough data to determine whether it's feasible or not then present it to different publishers to get one.
Then it would require investment from the publisher. Who is going to do that? If they do and print the books, is there enough market? If they price it low, will they be able to sell the books in sufficient quantity to be able to make profits?

It certainly is possible, it's not as if it isn't but it's the question of who is going to take the required efforts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom