Linux Benchmarking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivek788

In the zone
I was searching on some sites to find info on benchmarking in linux.I found this
Code:
 *www.linuxjunkies.org/html/Benchmarking-HOWTO.html

According to it,I downloaded Kernel 2.0 and the other things listed.
Is it the way benchmarking is done,if any one here has done it...please share ur experience.

Also there are lots of other tools and methods specified,like LMbench,Unixbench and stuff like that.

What are all these?Can anyone illuminate my path?I would like to find a clean,no-nonsense benchmarking method.The one listed in above link seems ok.
I am downloading stuff from
Code:
*www.tux.org/bench/

mediator

Technomancer
Unixbench, xbench etc, I think they r benchmarking programs that show ur box's performance.

High-level vs. low-level benchmarks

Low-level benchmarks will directly measure the performance of the hardware: CPU clock, DRAM and cache SRAM cycle times, hard disk average access time, latency, track-to-track stepping time, etc... This can be useful in case you bought a system and are wondering what components it was built with, but a better way to check these figures would be to open the case, list whatever part numbers you can find and somehow obtain the data sheet for each part (usually on the Web).

Another use for low-level benchmarks is to check that a kernel driver was correctly configured for a specific piece of hardware: if you have the data sheet for the component, you can compare the results of the low-level benchmarks to the theoretical, printed specs.

High-level benchmarks are more concerned with the performance of the hardware/driver/OS combination for a specific aspect of a microcomputer system, for example file I/O performance, or even for a specific hardware/driver/OS/application performance, e.g. an Apache benchmark on different microcomputer systems.

Of course, all low-level benchmarks are synthetic. High-level benchmarks may be synthetic or applications benchmarks.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Am trying it right now, seems a bit problematic though. Like it expects apache-2.2.8, which isn't found on any mirror they've listed so edited it to download 2.2.9. Let's see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom