Limits to which you have pushed your browser

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
before i used to open only 15-20 tabs but for the past year i am regularly crossing 100 open tabs & lately this has increased to ~150+.anyway this also brings some revelations about how much you can push a browser on an average 32bit windows 7 system as i found out because of an inevitable crash after crossing a certain limit of ram usage(i have 4gb but being 32bit 3.5gb is usable).this is a summary of points at which the inevitable crash happened:

process----------cpu--------memory-----CommitSize----handles(missing for 5th entry)

*i.imgur.com/RR0BzL7.png

since i have only 3.5gb ram & pentium G processor i am wondering how many here have pushed these limits even further with their powerful systems.btw i didn't intentionally opened all those tabs just to test.i got useful info from all of these tabs & it was necessry to keep them open because of extensive google searching i do to get what i want.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I got core i7 3632QM+ 12 GB ram, how many do you think I'll be able to open? 600-650?

- - - Updated - - -

OK I just filled 11 GB with chrome tabs. IDK how many I just kept on pressing the new tab button. After some time I noticed that you can't click that anymore and one has to create a new window.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
yours was like a synthetic test but still useful to know that chrome can load 11gb ram.all the tabs i opened have different sites loaded so it was a real world scenario.my observation is that after crossing 1gb in ram or commit size on 32bit win 7 system firefox/browsers based on it inevitably crash after some time with noscript addon either due to improper java script handling or error in rendering images on certain pages even if there is some extra ram still available for browser.you succeeded in opening so many tabs even with 11gb only because they were blank.try opening different sites & even 11gb won't be enough for the tabs you opened because of increased ram usage by various java scripts & flash plugin loaded by various sites.:)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I once opened IRCTC site on IE 7

I once opened IRCTC site in IE 7 using BSNL 2g in my village.

- - - Updated - - -

yours was like a synthetic test but still useful to know that chrome can load 11gb ram.all the tabs i opened have different sites loaded so it was a real world scenario.my observation is that after crossing 1gb in ram or commit size on 32bit win 7 system firefox/browsers based on it inevitably crash after some time with noscript addon either due to improper java script handling or error in rendering images on certain pages even if there is some extra ram still available for browser.you succeeded in opening so many tabs even with 11gb only because they were blank.try opening different sites & even 11gb won't be enough for the tabs you opened because of increased ram usage by various java scripts & flash plugin loaded by various sites.:)

I have 100mb left and still need to download HIMYM s9 ep 12 so no.

- - - Updated - - -

more like 9 GB. 2 GB was being utilized by other applications such as Firefox, System, Steam, etc.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
by trying i meant hypothetically sometime in future.:) i managed to open this many tabs on bsnl limited plan only because i keep my browser open for days.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I tried once in firefox to prove opera, ie, chrome fanbois wrong. I think I won that time. Probably search my posts history.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the single biggest reason(beside others) for me using firefox/palemoon is noscript addon.it has no counterpart for chrome,ie or opera because it requires completely open browser code to work perfectly(ie & opera are closed source while google refused noscript developer as it affects their revenue model by giving option to block even google's own scripts).there are some addons for them which try to mimic noscript behaviour to a degree but that's all they can do.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I too installed no script in Chrome long ago but not really used it to the extent to tell it's effectiveness.

Why do you need it so much?

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
because noscript(default whitelist mode) offers both security & efficient bandwidth consumption for browsing.i have become so familiar with it that i can mange 200+ open tabs session in browser on my relatively weak system & a limited data plan.of course the way i use it is not meant for regular/typical users so mostly it is user's choice but if anyone use firefox as a primary browser it is a must have addon.regular users can simply switch default whitelist mode to blacklist mode which will make it behave like any other addon but still providing protection against clickjacking attacks.also as far as i know there never was a fully functional official noscript addon for chrome(but there were attempts like notscript & scriptno).

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I was always with Firefox. The maximum I have opened is about 25 tabs. Did not check the memory usage at the same time though. Firefox felt sluggish with more than 10 tabs open. On Windows XP. I have never seen Firefox crash just due to the sheer weight of content. It has crashed on random sites once in a while for no reason (Far as I could make out)

Recently I have switched to Palemoon too. It feels much snappier. (One reason could be that it is yet to be saddled with my 30+ add-ons)

-------

Indian Railway associated websites are probably the only place where you go to spend money but yet are bombarded by pop-up/pop-under/pop-hidden and flashy advertisements.

What is it with Palemoon version numbering? Firefox is now at what 27 while Palemoon shows 24 up to date. Is it the way they do it?

NoScript sometimes seems to hide or block something although it is not apparent. Some particular functions of certain websites do not work even when every thing shown is allowed but works on a blank Firefox profile.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Never heard of that browser. So far my friends told me that I am crazy as I use to work with 15/16 open tabs in Chrome/FF, but after seeing this topic I feel I am a baby :p

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
why dont you go for 64 bit windows?
this proves that g620 is a very capable cpu. this looks crazy for me as i wont be able to find the items from 200+ tabs that i have searched before. what i can do is to search again :D .
i am using firefox for years as i am more comfortable with it than any other browser. From my point of view FF takes less ram than chrome.
nobody is using IE here? ;)

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
why dont you go for 64 bit windows?
this proves that g620 is a very capable cpu. this looks crazy for me as i wont be able to find the items from 200+ tabs that i have searched before. what i can do is to search again :D .
i am using firefox for years as i am more comfortable with it than any other browser. From my point of view FF takes less ram than chrome.
nobody is using IE here? ;)

Firefox is supposed to have tab grouping feature which may help in this situation.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the main reason i don't use 64bit windows is because of extra 15-20gb space it requires.for me loss of ~500mb usable ram is preferable over this much hard disk space lost especially when i don't need 64bit for any particular reason.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Just curious to know how you guys manage so many tabs!
I, on average have 8-10 tabs open in Chrome(uses around 100MB), which itself feels like too much to handle. Doesn't it feel like information overload with around 150+ tabs opened at once?

Never heard of that browser. So far my friends told me that I am crazy as I use to work with 15/16 open tabs in Chrome/FF, but after seeing this topic I feel I am a baby :p
Ditto here.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Looks like chrome takes up more space. I just did 1000 blank tabs in Firefox and RAM usage was 3GB. :/

Just curious to know how you guys manage so many tabs!
I, on average have 8-10 tabs open in Chrome(uses around 100MB), which itself feels like too much to handle. Doesn't it feel like information overload with around 150+ tabs opened at once?

THIS!! I just opened 72 tabs to test the browser. I dont usually have more than 6 tabs open at a time.

Shiva

Top Bottom