Limits to which you have pushed your browser

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
the main reason i don't use 64bit windows is because of extra 15-20gb space it requires.

A fresh install of Win 7 64 bit (or server 2008 R2 as I have installed) takes less than 10 GB. So what exactly you meant by "extra 15-20 gb"? lol

- - - Updated - - -

Also, someone who has to open more than 50 tabs at once has some serious work management issues.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^compared to 32bit & never estimate windows install size from a fresh install.regularly update your windows every month & within a year the winsxs folder will increase from just under a gb to 5-6gb on a 32bit install & even more on a 64bit install.in my experience 15gb C drive is minimum for a smooth 32bit win 7 & 25gb for 64bit assuming you intend to run these installs for years without any format/re-install & don't plan on using hibernation(if you do add extra 4gb to these sizes).

@shiva,it depends on person.for me sometimes opening 150+ tabs is necessary because of the way i search & collect information.

R2K

In the Zone
because noscript(default whitelist mode) offers both security & efficient bandwidth consumption for browsing.i have become so familiar with it that i can mange 200+ open tabs session in browser on my relatively weak system & a limited data plan.of course the way i use it is not meant for regular/typical users so mostly it is user's choice but if anyone use firefox as a primary browser it is a must have addon.regular users can simply switch default whitelist mode to blacklist mode which will make it behave like any other addon but still providing protection against clickjacking attacks.also as far as i know there never was a fully functional official noscript addon for chrome(but there were attempts like notscript & scriptno).

Have you tried ghostery addon for chrome ?

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no need.i require only noscript & i don't need privacy addons like ghostery because of the way i browse.these privacy addons aren't going to make you anonymous anyway to govt agencies/isp if that's what you think.best such addons can do is limit targeted ads.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
^^compared to 32bit & never estimate windows install size from a fresh install.regularly update your windows every month & within a year the winsxs folder will increase from just under a gb to 5-6gb on a 32bit install & even more on a 64bit install.in my experience 15gb C drive is minimum for a smooth 32bit win 7 & 25gb for 64bit assuming you intend to run these installs for years without any format/re-install & don't plan on using hibernation(if you do add extra 4gb to these sizes).

the update backup files can be deleted if you want to.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i meant after running every possible disk cleanup method.i am using my windows install for over 2.5 years now with 16gb C drive(started from win 7 no SP) & installed every update(including .net framework) till now.i barely manage with hardly 1-1.5gb left(no hibernation file either) which some days shrink to ~400mb in a month.this when i don't even use MS Office(whose install & updates demand another 1-1.5gb) & only small softwares.i do have 3gb in documents+download folders but that is something i require because of the way i browse.i can say that if one uses lots of softwares(including the likes of MS Office) & updates windows every month(& intends to run this windows install for years) along with hibernation enabled option,25gb for 32bit & 40gb for 64bit is essential to be on safe side.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I have dedicated 84GB for win 7 64 bit, and it was over 80GB before I formatted it last week.

I too kept an eye on disk usage, but just too many heavy programs were installed. Anyway, below 50 GB is a strict no-no from myside.

Top Bottom