"limited or no connectivity":Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreigsmarine

Broken In
i got my mtnl 590nu plan day bfore yesterday.So at night i put down a torrent for downloadin and went to sleep.When i woke up in the morning ,i found that the internet icon in the right corner of the screen had a xclamation mark over it and on clickin it, it said "limited or no connectivity".Today again when i woke up ,it said the same thing.when i unplugged the power cord and plugged it again,the problem vanished.
pls help.wats the use of a bloody night plan ,if its not gonna work at night!

mediator

Technomancer
A seprate thread was dedicated to this. Dont worry its a normal problem and u did the right job....coz thats the only solution to it! Further u may repair ur connection if things get messy.

\/endett/\

Broken In
kreigsmarine said:
wats the use of a bloody night plan ,if its not gonna work at night!
I used to get that permanently with my previous ISP,but that didnt affect my speeds....so i never bothered :p

Anyways, read this
If that doesnt help, try usning WinScok tool to restore registry for Winsock.

OP
K

kreigsmarine

Broken In
thnx for ur replies.But the thing is,this happens only at night.i keep my comp on the whole day,and i never get this message during the day.
So is this goin to happen everynight?as i said bfore,wats the use of having free dwnloadin at night if ur connection doesnt work.i've been tryin to dwnload a 400 mb file for 2 daze now ,and bcuz of this stupid connectivity thing,its still 44% completed.
has nyone of u experienced this problem with the mtnl night plan?
\/endett/\ said:
I used to get that permanently with my previous ISP,but that didnt affect my speeds....so i never bothered :p
well for me,whenever this happens,my connection stops workin...

sakumar79

Technomancer
Check the properties of the modem/LAN card that you use to connect to the internet (in Hardware Devices). See if power settings is set to allow computer to switch it off to save power... Turn off this setting.

Arun

OP
K

kreigsmarine

Broken In
@sakumar---thnx bro...i've turned off that setting...but i'll be able to find out if it works by 2morrow only...lets hope it works!!

sakumar79

Technomancer
Youre welcome... To be honest, I find this among one of the recurring problems that I find people posting about and due to personal experience, I can see many times the reason for the problem is the same... Check it out and post if the solution works... IMHO, considering that most of US has unlimited broadband, I cannot figure out why WinXP sets the default to turn off network device to save power...

Arun

abhijeet_ghosh

Journeyman
@kreigsmarine: In MTNL's 590NU plan, you need to switch off and then turn on the ADSL router after 12:00am and then turn it back off before 8:00am to avail free downloads, otherwise they are counted as daytime downloads. Maybe that's why you are facing this problem. Check MTNL's website for details. As a safe guard, turn on your router at 12:30am and switch it off latest by 7:30am since the MTNL server clock may be off by a few minutes (Sify's official clock is off by 30 minutes).

OP
K

kreigsmarine

Broken In
@sakumar----damn...it didnt work...the stupid thing has again started showin g the limited connectivity thing..i feel like smashing my monitor(nothin better around to smash...)...yeh to had hi ho gayi...this has started happening in the daytime also!!repairin the connection doesnt work..it gives an error sayin this renewing the ip address cud not be completed...only solution is unpluggin and pluggin in the power cord..
@abhijeet---nope,wat u mention cant be the problem...i've been doin watever u said since the day i got this connection..i turn it on around 12:30 and switch it off by 7...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Arre did u check the DHCP lease time? Start->Run->cmd->ipconfig/all

Check lease expires entry.. Post it here..

OP
K

kreigsmarine

Broken In
@kalpik--posting the lease xpiry entry
it says:
lease obtained-july 5th 2006 6:09pm
lease xpires -july 5th 2006 7:09pm
hope this is wat u asked for...

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
yes this is ur problem. limited connectivity is usually due to lack of valid IP address
indrease the lease time fo ur router/modem to more than say 24hrs. or use a static IP add. By going to rightclick connection>properties>select Tcp/ip>click properties>enter the IP add, subnet mask, default gateway here (the one that are shown by command 'ipconfig'). YOu are done. now you may also disable the DHCP server of the modem/router.

This is happening as the lease expires for the IP add and the DHCP server then has to renew the IP address to the computer. so when the IP add is being renewed the PC in not getting configured in the correct way.

kalpik

^^ Exactly what i thought.. Hehe.. If u need any more help with it, tell me..

OP
K

kreigsmarine

Broken In
@rollercoaster---doin wat u say,kills the connection!!it doesnt work at all...i had to change it back to "obtain ip settings automatically"..and yes..i had copied all the settings correctly..y is this happening?..btw, i didnt disable the dhpc thing,cuz i didnt knoe how to...and ya..how do u increase the lease time ?
another thing thats been happenin is that the connection dies after a few hrs of leavin the comp on...by dies i mean,theres no "limited connectivity" error...it just refuses to work...doesnt connect to any site..is this also because of the expiry thing?
@kalpik---YES! i need ur help.......

OP
K

kreigsmarine

Broken In
anispace---still not workin.though the situations a bit better now.after addin the dns server addresses its trys to connect to the sites...without the address it wuz straightawat givin the server not found error...

anispace

dattebayo
enter these as ur settings(if u havnt already)>>

*img213.imageshack.us/img213/2807/untitled0ah.th.jpg

Last edited:

kalpik

Ok.. Open *192.168.1.1 on your browser. Enter username as "admin" and password as "admin" or "password". This is your modem configuration page. Now look here for advanced settings/lan settings/dhcp server/lease time.. Im sorry i dont have your modem so cant say exactly where it is! You will have to look for it.. The just increase the lease time from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom