Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So after we pondered what would have been life, if not without computers... lets discuss this..

What would we do.. if we didn't have mobiles these days! I know few people who still dont like smartphones (calling [MENTION=73844]gameranand[/MENTION]).

anky

Youngling
We would still be able to remember all the landline numbers of our friends home! and would ask their parents to get them!
BSNL would be the king!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
We would still be able to remember all the landline numbers of our friends home! and would ask their parents to get them!
BSNL would be the king!

Hell yea.. I remember we use to have a small handy diary.. where we used to store numbers... in pages arranged alphabetically :D

Kind of like that:

*thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/blank-address-book-close-up-old-index-tabbed-33510104.jpg

gameranand

Living to Play
Well, without mobiles and phone system world would had been much more romantic place than what it is now. :D

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Life without mobile is hell specially for Girls ;)

Our whole life depends on it....just think about going out for a day without your cellphone and you will be looking for toll booths when u need it :D

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Life without "smartphones" would a apt title. But without "mobiles", not even feature phone? People gonna have a hard time.
* Communication will dip to new low.
* No secret conversations.
* If you wanna schedule a meeting with your friend, make sure you plan it well. Anything goes wrong?? Good luck finding out what happened.
* Delivery System would be the most toughest job, not to mention it has to pay well.

* Prepare to have all these things with you (depending on your career, passion) : watch, Calculator, Daily Planner, Notes, Contact Diary, Visiting Cards, Camera, MP3 Player, Maps, FM Radio.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Why not? People used landlines for these things earlier, even before mobiles made it to mainstream.

* Communication includes texting, Talking, etc, but the landline only allows talking on the phone which is very situation dependent!!
* LandLine are common phones for the entire home/family as opposed to personal mobiles like we have now! So goodbye to privacy!!

D

Deleted member 345628

It might seem fanatic to want to live without smartphone , but we just substitute other forms of tech , like PC .
I've tried to live without smartphone for a few days and it was so hard .It's same for everyone , it's referred to as "The Technology Trap".

I once had a problem with my smartphone and used a feature phone for a month.

Few problems I personally faced without smartphone while commuting from Delhi to my hometown

Navigating Uknown Cities - It can be a pain in the a** to navigate in cities where physical landmarks and signs are no longer a priority.

Missing out on Uber/Ola - I couldn't use the pool feature on auto rickshaw and ended up paying a lot more than I expected.

Printing out Hard Copy of my travel ticket in Pandemic Time - Cause How could I use a feature phone to render PDF File ?

Cash - I hate it , I ended up with a lot of coins and toffees (form of currency that only consumers can accept )

There are lot of benefits that we enjoy today because of smartphones and personal technologies , I personally have known the value of it. Try to live without it for a few days (even PC) , and you'll sure will appreciate the tech lot more than you used to .

K_akash_i

Journeyman
If u mean smartphone
its just a consumerism model product.i'm only using phone coz my college demands it.Most of the free services are just using ur data they store or sell like ppl do with crypto/stocks :}.i can either live with a basic communication device or nothing
smartphones are just exploiting planned obsolescence,theyre also exploiting our insecurities(like how much a mother is cooncerned about his child,how good can i look,buying these will give me more attraction and superiority etc),social media and other apps are designed aesthetically to please our brains and not get our eyes off'em.Its just another strategy they first give u a little taste then we're forced to buy it or use it by the society.
i have no problem reading newspaper,buying a map if i need to travel around,
problem is just convenience,a functional device which will have only essentials in use (like someone said above like a document reader)will still be good for many people at the same time it wouldnt need highend processors,and other specs,will not need a gigantic battery etc problem is everyone wants more and more even if they wont need it.
i did live without smartphone for like 2 years when i threw the phone and broke it i never felt more good than that and i could see how much others were addicted to the screen(some people look at the screen coz theyre insecure and are afraid to socialize because people are getting unfamiliar with face to face communication).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 345628

Isn't everything Consumerism these days(You might as well buy a smartphone and use it for 10 years with OpenSource Applications Installed ) Why do you need to buy a map if you can just rely on something easy-peasy like GPS .This kind of gatekeeping is bad , there's a quote : "Technology is fairly neutral . It's like a hammer. It can be used to build a house or to break someone's house " .
Productivity-Self Help Gurus videos that inspire people with this sort of ideas, are all grand dads who don't know how to use technology to full potential . I have run across an article where someone highlighted problem of Email Notifications . In the article , the author was trying to explain the problem with Email Notifications and how it ruins his time . You might have surely come across something like that .
But I would say that , each email for me is like one task left undone to act on . Its sort of like to-do-list . And think about applying the article and keeping away from emails which are only mean to work for me . If youre talking about junk emails , you might as well unsubscribe . To summarize , I just want to conclude that , stop following Videos/Articles that demean technology and instead of gatekeeping the same ideas around , try to use technology for your own-good use .
Sure , there might be problems with some kind of addiction behaviour , but you just have to redesign the system such as getting away from social media .

Last edited by a moderator:

K_akash_i

Journeyman
prolly u misjudged me.I dont think i've seen any of the content u mentioned i think the email issue content is pure bs. i meant i can live without em as well as anyone can its just the matter of convenience,
also there are some multimedia phones with all those things u just need as essentials and(like the nokia 2720 flip for current scenario or other feature phones,gps,document reader and maps were in older multimedia devices as well) so yea u have choice but its like having to choose between fastfood and healthyfood. fastfood maybe cheap.convenient and instead of filling ur belly it will blow up ur belly.They are just made for addiction ,data mining,insecurity exploitation.Technology is a hammer but smartphone is just a dual edged sword. I was a cse technical student i know how much technology has helped us and but yea u gotta also see the flipside of how technology just like science can be bent for shady things. thats how u complete the coin.for me smartphone isnt an essential if a feature phone does all of that .people now cant imagine a day without a smartphone thats an issue to be considered.

Also dont take "consumerism" very lightly. i know its out of the context but its a big contributing factor that damages the ecosystem we and other beings live on and thats just one of its big negative effects .

Last edited:

Tusharma

Broken In
Without the mobiles, the manual effort of human beings would increase quite a bit in every aspect and this is a good thing in some aspects while can be bad as well. Depends on the conditions.

Top Bottom