LIFE ON THIN ICE..Help your brother..plz guide this soul!

vishnov

Journeyman
hi guys, i need your advise on a rather important matter which may decide on how my life progresses.

I study in final year electronics and tele-comm. engg from a pvt college in Maharashtra. But still, i've got backlogs from first year (maths). Unable to clear my first year papers i am not allowed to appear for third year and final year exams. I'm not a dumb fellow either, having scored 71% in 12th and scored +112 in AIEEE entrance. I don't know why i'm still not able to clear maths, even my university in utter irresponsible in correcting papers, conducting exams etc. I've lost my interest in every other subjects too. My academics graph is plummeting downwards. I take medication for depression. In short, I wasted 4 years of my life.

That being said, i want a change in career. I am and was always interested in programming and i believe i'm pretty good at it. I want to do BCA from scratch. I know it will take time but at this rate i'll need 2 more years to complete this engg crap. I don't know anyone will even offer me a job with such a pathetic performance. I am sure, i'm cheating myself by continuing engg without any hope of success.

I want you guys to tell please me,
1. Should i continue engg. or go for BCA?
2. Good BCA colleges in Maharashtra or even south indian cities?
3. Scope of BCA for me in future.
4. Chances of getting employed..(Note: I'm 23 years old)
5. Last date of BCA admissions of 2014. (entrance or no entrance).

Understand my dilemma and answer me guys... i'll be forever be indebted to this forum!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many years have you passed? How many backlogs you have? Only in Maths?

BCA means studying for 3 more years. But imo, best is to clear whatever the exams you need to clear.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
First of all, do whatever you can to clear your backlogs and get your BE degree asap. DO NOT waste any more time on other degrees. Also keep practising programming and once you pass out, look for job openings in small companies as they give more importance to knowledge than marks. The pay may be very little at first but you will get far more hands-on experience which will be invaluable in the long run. Once you reach around 2.5 years of experience and are technically sound, your academics tend to get excused by bigger companies (although you may never be eligible for some Indian "MNCs" and face tough questions elsewhere).

Never lose hope and keep increasing your knowledge. Take this as advice from someone who has been in a far worse situation and am now working in a Tier 1 company as a developer while lots of First Class and Distinction holders rot away in manual testing.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Never lose hope and keep increasing your knowledge. Take this as advice from someone who has been in a far worse situation and am now working in a Tier 1 company as a developer while lots of First Class and Distinction holders rot away in manual testing.

Hehe...that's a pretty big statement right there you said.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
How many years have you passed? How many backlogs you have? Only in Maths?

BCA means studying for 3 more years. But imo, best is to clear whatever the exams you need to clear.

i've passed till second year but was allowed to sit for classes of 3rd and 4th year. No appearing for exams though. As per current scenario, i'll need 2 more years (if i manage to clear it all) to complete engineering. That's why i was planning to start afresh. Is doing BCA a bad choice? I also understand i may required to do MCA for better future. Do you know any other course with better employability chances in future?

- - - Updated - - -

First of all, do whatever you can to clear your backlogs and get your BE degree asap. DO NOT waste any more time on other degrees. Also keep practising programming and once you pass out, look for job openings in small companies as they give more importance to knowledge than marks. The pay may be very little at first but you will get far more hands-on experience which will be invaluable in the long run. Once you reach around 2.5 years of experience and are technically sound, your academics tend to get excused by bigger companies (although you may never be eligible for some Indian "MNCs" and face tough questions elsewhere).

thank you [MENTION=4168]bikramjitkar[/MENTION] for your reply.. but there are many things happening in my university which you won't understand. Let me tell you this, most of the time after results we get to see the xerox copies of our answer sheets. So that, we can see if there's some scope of increasing marks. The xerox copies of mine (as well as many other students) showed ONLY left side of paper was corrected. In this way, my 34 marks were increasing. But when rechecking results came..i was given just 2 marks! NOBODY CARES. This happened most of the time for last 4 years. I want a change from this city and wretched university. Do you believe that, at this juncture and at this point of life, can i ever make it big in my life??

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am not an engineering graduate but during my studies I have watched around 100 engineering students who were in the same hostel. Like the poster above I have seen many who went to a bad place in life. But around 10 years later on almost all of them who stuck on and finished their course are doing mighty fine in life.

Even though you may not consider it much a B. E. degree is still much valuable. There are much more avenues open for an engineer than a BCA graduate. The computer skills can be acquired by yourself but BE degree cannot be.

Stick with your present course and finish it. In the meanwhile continue to acquire additional skills in programming. If possible publish your work (open source, freeware) When the question comes you will have proof of your ability.

Be ready to slum it out for a few years and you will do great. Come back and tell us your achievements. We will be glad to celebrate with you.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've passed till second year but was allowed to sit for classes of 3rd and 4th year. No appearing for exams though. As per current scenario, i'll need 2 more years (if i manage to clear it all) to complete engineering. That's why i was planning to start afresh. Is doing BCA a bad choice? I also understand i may required to do MCA for better future. Do you know any other course with better employability chances in future?
Most employers consider BCA + MCA equivalent to a BE degree. 5 years. Sadly, that's the way it is.

Start studying, stop wasting your time and finish your BE degree.

Where do you live? Which university?

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman
I am not an engineering graduate but during my studies I have watched around 100 engineering students who were in the same hostel. Like the poster above I have seen many who went to a bad place in life. But around 10 years later on almost all of them who stuck on and finished their course are doing mighty fine in life.

Even though you may not consider it much a B. E. degree is still much valuable. There are much more avenues open for an engineer than a BCA graduate. The computer skills can be acquired by yourself but BE degree cannot be.

Stick with your present course and finish it. In the meanwhile continue to acquire additional skills in programming. If possible publish your work (open source, freeware) When the question comes you will have proof of your ability.

Be ready to slum it out for a few years and you will do great. Come back and tell us your achievements. We will be glad to celebrate with you.

thnx [MENTION=139416]sling-shot[/MENTION] for ur reply. I understand what you say for that's what everyone keeps saying. But they are unaware of the demons i'm (and hundreds others) are facing. Read my reply to [MENTION=4168]bikramjitkar[/MENTION] to get a miniscule example of horrors happening in here. Do you think that doing BCA will never do me any good in my life??? Do you suggest any other course which will do me good in future? (I'm 23 already and want to take next step carefully..hope u understand!)

- - - Updated - - -

Most employers consider BCA + MCA equivalent to a BE degree. 5 years. Sadly, that's the way it is.

Start studying, stop wasting your time and finish your BE degree.

Where do you live? Which university?

[MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION] Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada Univesity

Top Bottom