LG Optimus One or Dell XCD35

ManInRed

Broken In
Hey, being an O1 owner, I would say go for the Dell XCD35 if you dont mind the battery .. Because the screen resolution is just stunning (not just at that price ... at any price, that resolution can be considered as brilliant) .... it would make reading text so much easier ...

On a side note, the games would struggle a bit as the processor and GPU (similar to O1) would be forced to render at much higher resolutions ... so demanding games might not work great ...

And I dont think you should worry about it being made in china ... practically everything is made there ... and this is not rebranded by dell .. dell has subcontracted the building of the phone to a chinese manufacturer (more like how apple does with the iphone) .. you will be backed by Dell's warranty and customer support ... Everybody knows how good that is ...

Hello, LG O1 owner, why are you not happy with this mobil?
any specific reasons and so you suggsting to go for XCD35?

beause, i am aksing why that is -- i am planing to buyLG O1 soon

aakashdave11

Gadget gyan dispenser
Would suggest go for ZTE blade if you are getting from a known source....
but warranty would be a issue and an important one......
Maybe u can get one with an AMOLED screen :grin: ...this combo totally outshines the O1 sans the warranty issue........

O1 ha battery issues and UI is crappy as always whereas blade gives u almost Vanilla Android

p>S:vanilla Droid over LG UI anyday... :)

dsneih

da Mafia
xcd 35 .. with dell its no possibility to get next upgrade so please check the version of the android with xcd 35..

i will not suggest to buy any android phone which do not has Android 2.2 or latest version as with 2.2 you can install the apps in sd card

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Would suggest go for ZTE blade if you are getting from a known source....
but warranty would be a issue and an important one......
Maybe u can get one with an AMOLED screen :grin: ...this combo totally outshines the O1 sans the warranty issue........

Blade is best bet with 2.2 but that means taking risk & with no warranty. if something goes wrong, end price of repairing such a mobile will cross 15k easily.

O1 ha battery issues and UI is crappy as always whereas blade gives u almost Vanilla Android

batter issue? really? well sad to say but most members are getting 2days+ battery life. i browser net using WiFi (battery eater) at college almost half of the day & listen to 3hrs of music and play games a bit. and by evening time i am usually left with 70-72% charge. so still saying battery is bad?

about the UI, simply replace it with launcher pro. any kind of crappiness will vanish instantly. also most will go for a new launcher once they use vanilla android. also LG just added their own launcher & a few bloatwares (some comes handy though). nothing else.

PS: i am using void i.e. a custom rom & at stock speed. so with LG's rom one should get 2days of backup, which for an Android mobile should be considered above average.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Blade is best bet with 2.2 but that means taking risk & with no warranty. if something goes wrong, end price of repairing such a mobile will cross 15k easily.

Not worth the hassle and tension. 15 k is a lot.

Optimus One is becoming quite a phone at its price. Great Phone. Just about perfect.
I have reccomended this phone in umpteen threads.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i mean mobile + repair = 15k. & without 2.2/2.3, Optimus One is slightly better at same price (10k). at least LG has repaired/replaced the mobiles that died cause of user's will to go XDA's route.

yes, balanced mobile. last such mobile were Nokia 523* series & Galaxy 5 (price:performance:feature).

pauldmps

Banned
I don't understand the complaints of LG's UI. Most of the UI of theO1 is vanilla Android. LG has just tweaked it in a very few places like the Main menu. The Gallery, Music Player, etc. are left untouched.

Compare that to the Touchwiz of Samsung which heavily customises every corner of Android.

Krow

Crowman
Bumping this as I am in the same boat as OP was.

Budget is 10k and will be using the phone for chatting, browsing and maybe tinkering around with custom ROMs.

The situation with the XCD35 is that all new units come shipped with 512MB RAM and 2.2 Froyo as confirmed by buyers. I am inclined towards the XCD because of its larger resolution and that it looks better.

I have also read that Optimus One has dust accumulation problems. Apart from that it is a pretty good phone.

The modding ability does not matter as I may not switch from stock ROM after all (due to lack of time) and from what I have read, the XCD35 does have its share of custom ROMs too.

Any suggestions on which ones to pick? Will I regret buying the XCD35?

mavihs

Techie By Heart
Dell XCD35 is a really good phone but you'll have to tinker(root it, etc) with it to get rid of some of really annoying probs you'll start facing in some time.

k4ce

Youngling
Bumping this as I am in the same boat as OP was.

Budget is 10k and will be using the phone for chatting, browsing and maybe tinkering around with custom ROMs.

The situation with the XCD35 is that all new units come shipped with 512MB RAM and 2.2 Froyo as confirmed by buyers. I am inclined towards the XCD because of its larger resolution and that it looks better.

I have also read that Optimus One has dust accumulation problems. Apart from that it is a pretty good phone.

The modding ability does not matter as I may not switch from stock ROM after all (due to lack of time) and from what I have read, the XCD35 does have its share of custom ROMs too.

Any suggestions on which ones to pick? Will I regret buying the XCD35?

Lets just put it this way:

XCD35 over O1:
- Better screen (way better screen)

O1 over XCD35:
- Better battery life (1500mah vs 1250mah)
- Better performance in games due to lower resolution screen

So if you are only into mails, chatting and browsing(as you said above) & not into heavy gaming, pick the XCD35 .... Because the screen is just stunning ... and you should be able to get 1 day of backup at least with moderate to heavy use

har

In the zone
check this out-looks really good
YouTube - ‪Dell XCD35 Android Smartphone Review‬‏

andro

Broken In
Also take in consideration the screen size,although it may seem only a difference of 0.3 mm b/w LG and Dell but in real world on-screen tying and watching videos,pictures and even playing games makes a quite a difference.The 3.5 inch screen is considered to be quite reasonable for touchscreen phones(ala Iphone...I am not fan,so pls dnt start bashing),but yes this size is almost perfect,below that things get a little clumsy,but not very much.

Krow

Crowman
Dell XCD35 is a really good phone but you'll have to tinker(root it, etc) with it to get rid of some of really annoying probs you'll start facing in some time.
Hmmm ok then I will root. But I just want a stable ROM with a good battery life.
Lets just put it this way:

XCD35 over O1:
- Better screen (way better screen)

O1 over XCD35:
- Better battery life (1500mah vs 1250mah)
- Better performance in games due to lower resolution screen

So if you are only into mails, chatting and browsing(as you said above) & not into heavy gaming, pick the XCD35 .... Because the screen is just stunning ... and you should be able to get 1 day of backup at least with moderate to heavy use
Thanks a lot for your reply. :) I find it very helpful. You pretty much confirmed what I had in mind. :) No I am not into cellphone gaming. This phone will be my only internet connection for quite some time.
check this out-looks really good
YouTube - ‪Dell XCD35 Android Smartphone Review‬‏
Thanks, the video was very helpful. :)
Also take in consideration the screen size,although it may seem only a difference of 0.3 mm b/w LG and Dell but in real world on-screen tying and watching videos,pictures and even playing games makes a quite a difference.The 3.5 inch screen is considered to be quite reasonable for touchscreen phones(ala Iphone...I am not fan,so pls dnt start bashing),but yes this size is almost perfect,below that things get a little clumsy,but not very much.
The difference is 0.3 inches not mm (just correcting the typo). Thanks for mentioning that. :) I am looking for an internet phone so I think the XCD 35 is the best option for me. :)

Samhades

Broken In
1.I wanted to buy the Dell XCD35. I will mainly use it for Texting, browsing, watching some vids, 3 hours of music, 24x7 EDGE, Few games like angry birds and asphalt when der is no power in house. A couple of hours of Wifi(2-3 days a week)

2.Does the new stock of Dell XCD35 ships with 512mb ram and 2.2?

3.Is it easy and safe to put cm7 2.3.4 ROM? And will it increase the battery life without damaging the Processor? And will the UI become fast and responsive?

Ty sooo much

Top Bottom