Lesser SATA power connectors from SMPS and more Drives needing SATA power

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys if I have lesser SATA connectors coming from SMPS and more drives that need the power how can I get over this? Do we get any power splitter?

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Ideal solution would be to get a PSU that has what you need.
Second best solution is what harshil suggested. Get good quality ones though!

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Molex 4 pin to 15 Pin 12" SATA Power Cable Adapter X2 | eBay

Dont know about safe but I would get these only if I had budget constraints for a new PSU.

Also, the ebay listing seems very overpriced, search locally.

My bro who is into hardware suggested me not to go for the power splitters. Harshil where can I get these? I tried checking these online but couldn't find one.
Are these safe/advisable?
Power splitters and molex to sata converters are entirely different things.

This is what you brother is talking about:
[URL]*www.hardwareoutlet.nl/pages/shop/_imagesartikel/art1689.jpg[/URL]

And this is a molex to sata converter:
[URL]*www.techmania.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/molex-to-sata-adapter-cable.jpg[/URL][\IMG]

You can make your own molex to sata converter: [url=*www.erodov.com/forums/how-make-your-own-sata-molex-4-pin-connector/37078.html]How To/Make Your Own SATA to Molex 4 Pin Connector[/url]

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Power splitters and molex to sata converters are entirely different things.

This is what you brother is talking about:
[URL]*www.hardwareoutlet.nl/pages/shop/_imagesartikel/art1689.jpg[/URL]

And this is a molex to sata converter:
[URL]*www.techmania.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/molex-to-sata-adapter-cable.jpg[/URL][\IMG]

You can make your own molex to sata converter: [url=*www.erodov.com/forums/how-make-your-own-sata-molex-4-pin-connector/37078.html]How To/Make Your Own SATA to Molex 4 Pin Connector[/url][/QUOTE]
Isn't the one you posted above different from what Mario has posted which is available in ebay?
Thanks Harshil for the info. But just checking if the SATA to Molex converter is safe and how much do you think this should cost locally?

Isn't the one you posted above different from what Mario has posted which is available in ebay?
Thanks Harshil for the info. But just checking if the SATA to Molex converter is safe and how much do you think this should cost locally?

> The one Mario posted lets you connect two HDD from a single molex port; something I don't recommend.

> What I mentioned was the one which allows you to run just 1 HDD with a single molex.

> the ebay link states a price of 210 which is extremely extremely expensive for a pair of ports connected with some wires. trust me, the company would have manufactured it for less than 10 rupees.

> You can easily salvage old ports (malox and sata) from old PSU's or your, of friends or from local pc shops and buid a converter yourself.

> I would never ever pay Rs. 210 for a molex to sata converter even if it's the last piece in the world.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
> The one Mario posted lets you connect two HDD from a single molex port; something I don't recommend.

Exactly, if you get something of this type, connect only ONE hdd using this, not two just because it has the provision.

> I would never ever pay Rs. 210 for a molex to sata converter even if it's the last piece in the world.

Again, +1. Too expensive. Search locally. I saw another one on eBay which was priced above 1.5K bucks, probably imported...but pity the n00b who is gonna buy that!

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Sorry if I'm sounding noob. But I may have to look into my cabinet once to figure this out. Currently having problems with having to disconnect the DVD Rom Drive and connect the HDD and vice versa so wanted some workaround hence posted about it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i bought one molex to single sata power connector for Rs.30 from local pc repair/assembly shop 1 year ago.my suggestion is use it to connect your dvd drive though it should be fine for hdd too(i am running one).

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry if I'm sounding noob. But I may have to look into my cabinet once to figure this out. Currently having problems with having to disconnect the DVD Rom Drive and connect the HDD and vice versa so wanted some workaround hence posted about it.

No need to be sorry even if you sound nooby and you are NOT sounding nooby at all! :) Do you have any external enclosures lying about? or one that may be borrowed from a friend who does not use it any more? I rarely use the ODD any more, so if you also rarely use it, maybe you can use the DVD reader "externally" during those times. On the other hand, if you use it heavily (like make DVD backups on a weekly/monthly basis), then this option is not recommended (i.e., running internal stuff externally via USB).

Just suggesting...

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Do you have any external enclosures lying about? or one that may be borrowed from a friend who does not use it any more? I rarely use the ODD any more, so if you also rarely use it, maybe you can use the DVD reader "externally" during those times. On the other hand, if you use it heavily (like make DVD backups on a weekly/monthly basis), then this option is not recommended (i.e., running internal stuff externally via USB).

Just suggesting...
Not clear with what you are suggesting here.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Not clear with what you are suggesting here.

From what I understood, you want to run your SATA ODD and your SATA HDD parallely. But you have just one SATA power outlet.
So, I am suggesting that if you do not make heavy use of the ODD and only use it occasionally, and if an external SATA enclosure is available with you or any friend who does not use it much, then you can take the ODD out of your cabinet and put it in the enclosure and use it via USB as and when required.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
From what I understood, you want to run your SATA ODD and your SATA HDD parallely. But you have just one SATA power outlet.
So, I am suggesting that if you do not make heavy use of the ODD and only use it occasionally, and if an external SATA enclosure is available with you or any friend who does not use it much, then you can take the ODD out of your cabinet and put it in the enclosure and use it via USB as and when required.

Gotcha! You are right I don't use the Optical Drive as much these days except for the occassional DVD burn. Now the next question is where should I look for an external enclosure.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Gotcha! You are right I don't use the Optical Drive as much these days except for the occassional DVD burn. Now the next question is where should I look for an external enclosure.

Ok, if you don't have one handy, forget it..because it would cost at least 400~500 bucks and the molex-sata converter would come for a tenth of its price.
Why not just take the ODD out and insert it when you need to burn something? I know its slightly inconvenient but you save money as well as manage to NOT use these stop-gap solutions which might harm your HDD/ODD/system.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Ok, if you don't have one handy, forget it..because it would cost at least 400~500 bucks and the molex-sata converter would come for a tenth of its price.
Why not just take the ODD out and insert it when you need to burn something? I know its slightly inconvenient but you save money as well as manage to NOT use these stop-gap solutions which might harm your HDD/ODD/system.

Whenever I remove the HDD power connection and connect the Optical Drive the drives are get rearranged and once I remove the ODD and connect the HDD the drives are different due to which I have to once again reload the torrents.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Whenever I remove the HDD power connection and connect the Optical Drive the drives are get rearranged and once I remove the ODD and connect the HDD the drives are different due to which I have to once again reload the torrents.

Buy that converter locally or take the ODD out man. Thats what I can say.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you should have mentioned this earlier since solution is so easy & which i am using for many years now.go to disk management & right click on disk/drive & select "change drive letter/path".assign the desired drive letter & it will not change for that drive on that system.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys sorry for digging into an old thread.
Looking for a converter like the one in the pic below.
Sata 15pin Male to Dual 4pin Molex Female - www.deltapage.com

Top Bottom