Lenovo Users! Beware.

prehistoricgamer

Q.C Passed. Tested. OK
I know this isn't the right sub forum to post this. But I thought it might help out a couple of unwary Lenovo users.

As a potential Lenovo customer, this saddens me. I was about to buy a Lenovo Z50-70 in the next week. I may have to rethink my decision due to Lenovo's practices and shady policies.

The News Article

People's reaction to the News Article

Statement from Lenovo

Mods: Please feel free to move or duplicate this thread to the appropriate place if need be. I posted it here as most buyers would visit this section first for advises.

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
I remove nearly all the bloat that was on my pc. Just left with dvd software I guess which I also do not use.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
In this case at least my DELL Inspiron 14 5447 was free from such kind of sh!tware or bloatware.
I even uninstalled McAfee Security Suite(free for 15-months,full version) and installed Trustport Internet Security(purchased from Flipkart).
Rest all apps. and tools of Windows-8.1 (64-bit), I installed from FileHippo,Majorgeeks,etc. sites

- - - Updated - - -

Buy the dos version instead :|
That is not a solution Saiyan,when users have the money to spend,why take the hassle of purchasing + installing Windows-8.1 OS separately???!!!
Isn't it a dangerous event that is occurring???
In this case it is really worth of thinking hard and choose wise to buy other manufacturers notebook over LENOVO notebooks.

- - - Updated - - -

I remove nearly all the bloat that was on my pc. Just left with dvd software I guess which I also do not use.
You as a Technical geek might do this,but for an ordinary user,who wants to use/function/play out of the box(with little Tech. knowledge or awareness),just think about the plight of that hapless guy.
This is a very unfortunate incident ,worst than the indifference or non-support of DELL Tech. support or the so called "crapware" hardware of DELL as accordingly by some of our forum friends.

- - - Updated - - -

PS : I never told anyone or insist anybody in this @TDF,to buy DELL laptops or follow them blindly.Again, CHOICE + WISH all the way.

OP
prehistoricgamer

prehistoricgamer

Q.C Passed. Tested. OK
The thing with this case is that it's a Trust Certificate that acts as the malware. Your usual methods of removing bloat wouldn't work and 99% of the users were none the wiser about the existence of the malware until some research scientists found it out.

The malware has work around for Mozilla & IE which shows that this is a deliberate attempt at pushing crap at the users. Also, it has way too many security ramifications than initially outlined.

This is a serious issue and breach of trust for any strata of users.

kg11sgbg

The thing with this case is that it's a Trust Certificate that acts as the malware. Your usual methods of removing bloat wouldn't work and 99% of the users were none the wiser about the existence of the malware until some research scientists found it out.

The malware has work around for Mozilla & IE which shows that this is a deliberate attempt at pushing crap at the users. Also, it has way too many security ramifications than initially outlined.

This is a serious issue and breach of trust for any strata of users.

+1 to this comment.
I reiterate every time on commenting that, LENOVO has really come a long way and upraised/upgraded their hardware specs./configuration at a lower price compared to others. They were really bang of the buck for people.
But when it comes for compromising on security + privacy of users,regarding this aspect as pointed out by [MENTION=235385]prehistoricgamer[/MENTION], then no lame excuse or arguments would go in favour of LENOVO.
In that case Jai Ho to the so called crapware(as deemed by some @TDF,Friends) from DELL/HP/ASUS/ACER.../ etc.

$hadow

Geek in making
^^Yeah that's right and lenovo is looking into and it and will be going to stop installing all that crap. And also all those who have bought lenovo laptops do check out for the software and along that use at least internet security anti virus to stop these crap from stealing any info.

kg11sgbg

^^Yeah that's right and lenovo is looking into and it and will be going to stop installing all that crap. And also all those who have bought lenovo laptops do check out for the software and along that use at least internet security anti virus to stop these crap from stealing any info.

The actual danger,Friend, is that the trust certificate itself is a malware as being pointed out.
What if this malware bypasses the internet security?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The actual danger,Friend, is that the trust certificate itself is a malware as being pointed out.

There are 2 types of certificates personal and from recommended sources. No trust certificate has any malware unless it is personal one. It is made by trusted firms under international laws.

kg11sgbg

There are 2 types of certificates personal and from recommended sources. No trust certificate has any malware unless it is personal one. It is made by trusted firms under international laws.
Laws and Trust are being violated,breached...in current scenario.

$hadow

Geek in making

Well that is why I suggested for uninstalling the software and rest is well defined by bssunil.

kg11sgbg

Well that is why I suggested for uninstalling the software and rest is well defined by bssunil.
That is my point of emphasis as according to [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION] :
Security or privacy is idea of stone age because we are safe in our homes as many are guarding the borders with their lives. This is the age of knowledge is power. Correct me if I am wrong.
Tapping the phones or bugging for personal gains is wrong right.:cool:
Within the confines of our Homes,safety is not guaranteed,if our valuable info./data(mainly financial) is being breached and compromised,through the malwares.
The moment we could be reduced to nothing(again financially) in todays age + society.

$hadow

Geek in making
Lenovo kind of issued a guide for protecting the users so if any one interested I believe I saw that at verge.

Top Bottom