LED's for Home Lighting

Are you interested in transforming your home lighting from CFL's to LED's

• Yes, will look forward to it.

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Yes, I'm interested, but the prices are prohibitive.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Don't know, as I don't have an idea as which one is better.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No. I'm better off with CFL's.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
You don't need a credit card to buy from ebay. You can use a regular debit card (atm card) to make payment for an ebay item. You were lucky she got something for you. I did searched a lot at local shops but couldn't get the ultrabright ones, so moved to ebay for those. The circuit inside the enclosure is a pretty small circuit. I'm posting the picture on the internals of the 3x1watt led driver bought from ebay.

*i.imgur.com/beyH4l.jpg

DIY stands for Do It Yourself

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Working on a new DC lighting system which will work during power cuts.
Am using 8mm LED's connected in series of 3 or 4, to keep the power consumption at the lowest. So, here are the basics.

The setup:

Will be using the LED's to a 12v 7 AH SLA battery, which I'll be procuring soon.
Also working up on a smart charger most probably with a charge level indicator (LED's connected and aligned vertically to show the level of battery).
For now I'm covering two rooms and the kitchen, so have prepared three arrays of LED's (4x2 8mm LED's for now, designed to operate in half/full mode controlled by a 3way switch)

*i.imgur.com/ZdH8hl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/sCQT8l.jpg

*i.imgur.com/RFdmjl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/IIaB0l.jpg

*i.imgur.com/b7TnDl.jpg

Have also planned to include a Hybrid Power Back-Up system, where I'll be using arrays of Solar Panels mounted on my roof along with a Mains Inverter to charge the battery bank or switch the load of some low power consuming devices/appliances to Solar mode when the batteries are fully charged. Currently trying to gather some much needed money and technical information on such a system. The lights will help me identify the feasibility of using them with solar panels to completely switch over to Alternative energy and LED home lighting.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
@CyberKID, I like the 8mm LED setup you have made. I've been thinking on the same lines for LED lighting and been following this thread for a while. I've all the stuff needed sans the Solar Panel. Are you planning to have an enclosure for the LEDs and some reflectors as well?

I got few 1 watt LEDs which are extremely bright. Not able to find a suitable heat sink, as these get too hot within a few seconds of usage. There are no heatsinks available on ebay.
I've isolated some space on my terrace for Solar Panels. but, they are damn costly for a 12v 30-40 AH setup.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Including a Solar Panel is something I'll be doing after a while. Right now I'm just in some research phase, (have been following a few softwares called SAM-SYSTEM ADVISOR MODEL-Aided by US Department of Energy and NREL-National Renewable Energy Laboratory and HOMER to design the system as well as to well know the climatic data for example Solar Irradiance and Solar Insolation Data over the months all round the year. I suppose, gathering some workable knowledge around the system will take about an year or so before I may be able to gather enough technical expertise to install such a system on my own, as well as I'm also adding up some pennies (big ones) to invest in such a system (will need about 35-40K for a hybrid power back up system with 2x150/180 AH Deep Cycle Batteries, a mains inverter atleast a 1.5KVA one for charging the system through mains when input from the solar panels is low or absent-occasionally experienced during extreme winters and for converting the DC output of the batteries to AC, a Solar panel, Initially a 100 watt 12 volt panel, and a charge controller preferably a 1000-1500 watt one.
The commercially available solar photovoltaic systems that are available are seriously costly (costs about 1.5 Lacs for a setup of 1KVA), which I suppose will cost someone almost half if done on ones' own.
Initially I planned, buying a 230 Watt panel from Ebay for 22.5K for the panel itself, but, now I've changed the plan to design a rather upsizable one with a pretty capable Solar Charge Controller, one greater than 1000 watts, so as to accommodate solar panels as I feel the need to upscale the system. So, planning to buy a 100 watt panel initially, put it up on a test with the conditions and with a rather small amount required to be invested. According to the trend I've found on Ebay, following >Everything Else>Alternative Energy -Solar/Wind, for the past one-and-a-half-year, the panels cost about Rs. 1000 per 10 watt, and somewhat decreases going upwards in the panel capacity.
As far as the LED setups are concerned, I'm planning to use enclosure (looking up for ideas for an enclosure) for the LED's (atleast for the one I'll put up in the Kitchen, because the last one I designed and put up using 5mm led's had greasy oily deposit over time due to cooking), but no reflectors as the LED's are already directional, and emit light in the front only, so do not need any reflectors to focus their light. And for the heatsink, you can get hold of an IC heatsink, which will be available for about Rs. 10 each from any of the electronics repair shops (preferably those repairing television sets).

Last edited:

Seanwood

Right off the assembly line
LED's for Home Lighting

Introduction to LED's

In simple terms, LED's are simple devices made up of semiconductors which emit light when electricity is applied to them. peimar lighting or Light Emitting Diodes are becoming extremely popular owing to their extremely low power consumption, bright light, and longer life. Till a few years back, LED's were being used in Avionics, such as beacons, landing guidance lights, etc, but, the advances in the LED technology and drastically reduced prices have made them extremely popular for other applications. Most of us would have seen the LED's are fast replacing the buggy old signals on roads and railway lines. This is because of extremely compact design, high durability and higher light intensity adding to higher visibility and power efficiency the LED technology has provided us.

Basic Design of an LED

*www.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/trucks4x4/242009/603132/LED-labelled.jpg

Shapes and sizes in which LED's are available

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Verschiedene_LEDs.jpg/640px-Verschiedene_LEDs.jpg*linova.cn/upfile/hpledcomp/DGL-100-W.jpg*linova.cn/upfile/ledcomp/5050w.jpg*linova.cn/upfile/hpledcomp/1-3W.jpg*linova.cn/upfile/hpledcomp/1-3WnoBase.jpg

Various Colours Available in LED's and the Semiconductor Materials Used in Producing Them

The beauty of LED's is that they are extremely compact, very power efficient and in the recent times, have become almost dirt cheap. Those who have some experience of working with electronics components and soldering can easily make an LED light with some cheap components and some LED's from any local electronics components store. However, for those who don't have any experience in working with electronics components and soldering, well, they can try working on with some simple circuit designs with less number of components. And at last, those who don't want to get their hands dirty buying components and putting up a circuit to power up the LED's can simply buy LED's and LED drivers and just connect the LED's to these drivers or simply go and buy LED lamps. Though, they are costly, but will simply save you the cost difference between the CFL's and the LED lamps within one year.
For those living in Delhi, BSES is offering (selling on subsidy) upto 4 LED lamps per bill. You can go and get one of these. Show bill, buy LEDs at half price from tomorrow - Times Of India

Comparision Between LED, Incandescent and Compact Fluorescent Lamps

I have got some led lights. They are expensive but saves a lot of power

Last edited:
OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Update: I've completed the work on the Emergency Lighting system, the only thing left is to fix those at the proper places. Will do that probably on Sunday. Did a few modifications to the original design, I was thinking. Changed the LED arrays from 2x4 (2 parallel connected arrays of 4 LED's) to 3x3 (3 parallel connected arrays of 3 LED's). Got the much needed 12V 7AH SLA battery (Exide-Chloride SafePower) for Rs. 780 about a week ago. My brother got the circuit components to build the Smart Battery Charger, which adjusts the Battery Charging Current, and built up the charger circuit. He used this circuit to build the charger. Have housed the battery and the charger in an old UPS housing. The LED's will be working in offline mode, i.e. will only work when the battery is not charging. I'm expecting to get close to 3 hours of light backup power with the current setup.

Some Tech Specs:

Power Consumption of each 8mm LED: 80mAh
LED's connected to the setup: 3x3x3=27
Total Power Consumption 80mAhx27=2160mAh (2.16AH)
Power capacity of the Battery: 7 AH (7000mAh)
Total Backup time: 7000/2160=3.24Hrs (~3 Hrs including other variables)

For now, I'm missing out on the push button switches, I've planned to put up with each Light. Will try getting those and once done, I'll post the pics of the setup.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
So, I finally got the setup up and running. Here are a few pics.

Got everything housed in an old UPS cabinet.
*i.imgur.com/t4lotl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/fYwDvl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/aXkRjl.jpg

The charger circuit-Is a smart charger, automatically adjusts the charging current as the battery gets charged.
*i.imgur.com/ll947l.jpg

Operation
Put up three different LED's - as indicators
A blue one, to indicate power reaching to the transformer; A green one, to indicate battery charging, and a red one to indicate battery being used.
Have put up a three way switch for different operating modes. moving the switch to the extreme left will start the battery charging; Moving it to the center will stop the main battery charging and enable the external battery charging port (connected to a regular molex connector); which can be used to charge an external battery. Moving the charger to extreme right will enable the battery out to be used to power the LED's (Battery charging will stop in this mode-as this is supposed to be used while power is gone).

Indicators

*i.imgur.com/CAd7Fl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/UsmLGl.jpg

And now the LED's

One evening when I reached home, the power was gone, so, had a good chance to test the setup.

*i.imgur.com/doBoCl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/MjVoCl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/X5vQpl.jpg

The light is not too much, but, is better than none.

rosx4uj

Broken In
I was looking for LED lights after noticing camera flash light quality in my smartphone. No retailer were able to provide me such quality lightening bulbs. This thread shown me a way to get such lights. Its very helpful post for me.

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Here is the setup I made. I've used 5 arrays of 3 connected 8mm half watt LEDs. Initially, I had made a test setup with 4 arrays of 3 connected LEDs. The results were pretty good. When placed at a height the spread is better than regular tubelight based emergency lights. Now, I've decided to LEDify my whole house. Here are few pics of my progress:

*img689.imageshack.us/img689/1821/05122012472.jpg

*img685.imageshack.us/img685/121/05122012473.jpg

*img211.imageshack.us/img211/2546/05122012475.jpg

*img202.imageshack.us/img202/1629/07122012477.jpg

I've added a three way switch here. but didn't have the necessary diodes to make it work. So, it is acting as a simple switch for now.
*img18.imageshack.us/img18/5496/07122012478.jpg

We are having a half an hour power cut everyday. These will be used as the primary lighting during those times.

@CyberKid, Did you buy a transformer to supply the charger circuit with 14.5-16v? I searched yesterday, couldn't find a transformer or power adapter with atleast 16v 2A. The shops here stock only the 12v 1A ones. Currently, I'm charging the two batteries by connecting them directly to a 12v 2A adapter that I have. It's more of a trickle charging.

I'm planning to buy this 16v 4.5A IBM laptop charger from eBay and connect it to the charger circuit which you have shown. Will this setup work?

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
I did bought an 18v step down transformer to power the charger circuit. As far as the battery charging is concerned, the adapter you're using, I suppose, provides output at ~12 VDC. As far as the battery charging theories are concerned, a 12v battery needs around 14.4 volts to charge, and the charging current must remain @ ~1/10th of the battery output capacity (in Ah). Did you try checking the current at which your adapter is charging your battery at?

As far as the laptop adapter you're looking for, IMO, seems to be much expensive as a replacement for an 15-18v step down transformer and a bridge rectifier. I'll suggest try a bit harder for the transformer. you can try looking for an outlet of Kits 'n' Spares in your city.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
I haven't checked the charging current, but yes, it should be ideally, 1/10 the Ah rating. I didn't check because it's in trickle charging mode. I've asked local electronic shops. All they have is the 12v 1-2 amp wala stuff.
Kits n spares shop is there is kerala, but it's too far away from my place.
I searched online and found one 6-9-12-15v 3Amp multitap transformer at onlineTps. I wanted an 18v output type..

So, that laptop charger may be the only viable option.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ But onlinetps charges hefty shipping charges. In this particular case, it's even more than the item itself (Rs. 220).

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
oops, didn't notice that :(
Had ordered couple of items from them long back.
I got a 19.5v dell charger and a dead 18.5 HP charger at home. Not able to find a suitable female port for these pins.

I've added two more LED blocks for other rooms. It's 45 LEDs in total now. Thinking of a circuit which will shut of the LED once the charger powers on. the 14.5 volt may burn out the LEDs

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
i have 3 microtek 800va doublebattery+ ups'es, 1000va twin power+ ups, 1 numeric 600va ups(working condition), 1 powercom 600va ups(working condition)
so out of these three, 3 7.2Ah batteries are working. i would like to modify this for led lightning, and can a ceiling fan be added as well?

or-
buy solar panel from ebay and make charging circuit?, add few leds

Last edited:
OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Whoosh! You have hell lot of backup power. I hope, you're not using those UPS'es, that's why you want to modify these for LED Lighting. IMO, you can use one of the double battery UPS'es (if in working condition) to charge two batteries. You'll need to see whether the batteries are connected in Parallel or Series. If the batteries are connected in parallel, you'll have 12-14 volts to power up your LED's, where you can connect 3 LED's in series directly to the batteries. In case, the batteries are connected serially, the batteries are being charged with ~ 27-28 volts, in that case, you may connect 7 led's in series. I recommended this because, I, personally, won't like to fiddle around with that UPS circuit.
As far as connecting a regular AC ceiling fan is concerned, it'll take a DC to AC inverter, which, your UPS may provide, but, it won't be able to provide you a good backup with the ceiling fan. Though, a regular table fan my give you a backup of say around 1 hours. But, I'll suggest keeping both the things separate.

Buying a solar panel, would also be a good idea, since you're having the batteries, you'll just need a suitable solar panel and a charge controller. The charge controller, is nothing but a simple battery charger, that's been optimized to work on low voltages of solar panels (12-24 volts). Though, you'll again be able to use only DC appliances, without a DC to AC inverter.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Buying a solar panel, would also be a good idea, since you're having the batteries, you'll just need a suitable solar panel and a charge controller. The charge controller, is nothing but a simple battery charger, that's been optimized to work on low voltages of solar panels (12-24 volts). Though, you'll again be able to use only DC appliances, without a DC to AC inverter.

tell me about solar power. the batteries are connected in series in ups, but tell me some solar panel and a charge controller, i will use only DC, okay? diy is also ok but parts should be available. keep it as cheap as possible, maybe i will buy online something like eBay it search local

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
For a solar panel, I have saved one in my ebay wishlist, here it is 12 Volt, 50 Watt Solar Panel ( Solar PV ). 3, 5, 10, 20 watt panel available. | eBay
Though, I have been doing some online research for quite some time now, for a planned Alternative Energy source for my home, I don't have any practical experience with that, as I'm still doing some research, before making such a hefty investment into that. So, I'll suggest you to do some research before making an investment.
What I have found and understood till now, with some research for past 2 years is that the hardware is important. Here are a few points, that, I feel, everyone, thinking to work in this direction should consider
Things to buy-
1. A solar panel: It is the most important component of such a setup, and also, pretty expensive, as around 50-55 percent of the overall costs are of the solar panels.
a. The higher the wattage, the lower is the charging time and also, the larger is the battery bank. (You may get a maximum of 6 sunshine hours, that too depending on your location.)
b. The higher the voltage, the larger is the battery bank, as it can charge more batteries simultaneously. The voltage will decide the configuration of the connected batteries (either parallel or serial)
c. The solar panel, you choose, should preferably be of a minimum of 14% efficiency. The maximum, commercially produced solar panels have achieved is around 18 percent, so, don't expect to get too much. The less efficient solar panels may be cheap initially, but will not be cheaper than the ones with higher efficiency, in the long run.
d. The solar panels are divided into two types based on the materials used to manufacture the solar cells, of which the panels are made up of. The solar cells are either Monocrystalline, or Multicrystalline aka Polycrystalline. The monocrystalline cells are more efficient than the polycrystalline cells, so will practically produce more electricity per unit area, and thus will save you precious space, but are expensive than the latter.
e. Whichever solar panel you choose, the panels should contain reverse current blocking diodes, which are very important for protecting the panels getting damaged as a result of reverse flow of current through the panels.​

2. The Solar Charge Controller
The Solar Charge Controller, is nothing, but a simple circuitry to harness the power from the solar panels and charge the batteries. While choosing a charge controller, you should keep in mind, the upgradeability. If you are planning to increase the panels, you should purchase a charge controller keeping in mind the capacity till which you're going to add the solar panels. Also, MPPT, (Maximum Power Point Tracking) is a good add on, if you're investing ample amount in such a setup.
MPPT as per Wikipedia, is:
Maximum power point tracking (MPPT) is a technique that grid-tie inverters, solar battery chargers and similar devices use to get the maximum possible power from one or more photovoltaic devices, typically solar panels, though optical power transmission systems can benefit from similar technology. Solar cells have a complex relationship between solar irradiation, temperature and total resistance that produces a non-linear output efficiency which can be analyzed based on the I-V curve. It is the purpose of the MPPT system to sample the output of the cells and apply the proper resistance (load) to obtain maximum power for any given environmental conditions. MPPT devices are typically integrated into an electric power converter system that provides voltage or current conversion, filtering, and regulation for driving various loads, including power grids, batteries, or motors.

Link to the Wiki article: Maximum power point tracking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Batteries: Since the setup is working during day time, you'll need batteries to store power for use during the non functioning phase of the system, i.e. during night. Deep Cycle batteries are better suited for this application. The battery bank, should be chosen, while keeping in mind, the other factors, including the solar panels, and the load the setup's going to serve.

Apart from these, there are a few other factors like the Wires, the distance between the solar panel, the charge controller and battery bank. Also, the intended use, may need you to buy an inverter, to convert the DC voltages supplied by the batteries to AC power for use in AC appliances.

These are some important things, which I could recall at this point of time. There may be some other things, that I might have failed to mention here.

So, I'll suggest, before making any investment (even the smallest one), give yourself some time to study, how a solar power generation system works, then try weighing the options available with you, and the usability of that system.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I have seen this website which deals with LED Lighting Systems which is very near to my native place.Efftronics LED Lights
People here in AP generally go to Vijayawada to buy wholesale electrical goods when ever a new house is constructed, so I hope this is the right place to go.

Top Bottom