Cyborg Agent
I am very new to open source and i have to work on UNIX Server

I just want to know whats difference btw unix adn unix server

how can we maintain and use unix server

also unix baiscs

and guys give me some suggestion to read more baout unix and unix server

mediator

Technomancer
U mean bsd/solaris/linux servers? Coz these r often termed as unix servers. Check this.
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57123
*www.freebsdforums.org/forums/?ref_=fr
*www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=147

Unix is an Operating system. BSD,Solaris etc are its variants and *nix server is as u see is a server on *nix. U need to know what kind of server u r planning to implement on *nix. There r guides u can find through google. Identify what u want to do.

If u don't know anything then I suggest u pick up knoppix or belenix live distro and familiarise urself with it first!

freebird

Debian Rocks!
^ the UNIX server U r running will be sco(ess-cow) unix server(open server,unixware)?get its manual ready or will be already bundled.most of the commands and operations are the same.
*www.sco.com/products/openserver6/features.html

OP
piyush gupta

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
Guys

i dont know this advanced

actually i m working in a comapny and has to learn unix server commadns so that i can do simpel activities on server

I dont know which *nix server they r using

praka123

left this forum longback
Learn GNU/Linux.most commands and usage are similar for UNIX like systems:)

*iup.in/img/praka123/userbar409429pw2.gif

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Just logon to the "*nix server they r using" and type "uname". U will know which unix server they r running.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
freebird said:
^ the UNIX server U r running will be sco(ess-cow) unix server(open server,unixware)?get its manual ready or will be already bundled.most of the commands and operations are the same.
*www.sco.com/products/openserver6/features.html

yeah SCO Unix is the most popular flavor of commercially available unix , me to running SCO Openserver 5 for learnin Unix .

btw , i got this book from a senior for learning Unix :
UNIX : Concepts and Applications by Sumitabha Das
it's quite good , gives u a complete history of unix in the first 3 chapters then it tells u why unix has so many small commands and the plilosophy behind the command naming and option structure in Unix n then gives u a complete guide to using and administering Unix from the command line .

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Get "Linux Bible 2006" (Dunno if 2007 is available) and Linux Complete Command Reference and learn common commands.. install a Red Hat or Fedora Core distro and u are ready to go..

OP
piyush gupta

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
Gyz i already have Unix:Complete reference here

but i dont have enough tiem to read this book

thats why i m asking if there is sone online source to read general concepts and basic netowrking commmands of unix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom