LCD vs LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Now LED monitors are coming we have 'BENQ' LED (as adv also in this forum)...
so r they gud when compared to LCD & by how much....
is it a good idea to go for them now.....psl suggest...:?:

rishitells

Always in Dreams...
LED monitors are definitely better than current LCD monitors because they are actually using a new backlighting technology that improves the display of LCD TVs by producing better contrast and black levels combined with better power efficiency.
So it's better to invest in LED now.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all, naming LCD-LED TVs/monitors as simply LED TVs/monitors is the most stupid thing which every company is doing now-a-days.

LED-LCD screens are just the normal LCD panels with LED back-lighting which helps to overcome the biggest drawback of normal LCD panels i.e. Contrast Ratio and hence picture quality.

Normal LCD panels have CCFL back-lighting. CCFL - Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp which actually uses slightly less power but also gives less backlit compared to Light Emitting Diode.

LED-LCD display panels actually use slightly more power than normal LCD panels and they do look better due. They are actually the answer to the display quality of CRT and Plasma. But this technology is in infancy and personally, I would prefer to invest in them after a year or so when other companies also jump into this.

Nevertheless, any xLCD screen uses less power compared to Plasma and CRT.

If we talk about LED-LCD TVs, they are actually around 20-25k expensive than the counterpart LCD model.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

i heard LED's consume more power than LCD's.....is it true?
Only slightly more. I don't care what the company advertises.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

So it's better to invest in LED now.
Nope, after a year!

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
These are two different things. LCD is a transmissive display technology whereas LED in this context is a backlighting technology for LCDs. Compare LCDs to plasmas, but no to LEDs. It's like comparing an F16 to a Ferrari, or a speaker to a graphics card.

Traditional backlighting is CCFL, which can be compared to LED. CCFL consumes slightly more power, but offers better colours. LED offers a narrower colour gamut, a slightly better contrast ratio and worse backlight adjust times. RGB LEDs offer comparable colour to CCFL, but is much costlier and consumes more power than CCFL making it pretty much useless in its present avatar. CCFLs also offer greater brightness, as well as more gradients to brightness levels. LEDs may be the technology of the future - they're certainly not worth it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom