LCD Blues !

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapeed1986

Right off the assembly line
I'm interested in buying an LCD monitor. A decent 15" costs about 13,000-15,000 here. But in the US, a 19" is available for around 280$, which is less than 13,000.
Is there some way i could get that ? Could I ask some friends of mine in the US to bring one home... Will the customs charge duty on it's arrival to India ??

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
well it is not advisable to import LCDs due the the problem of dead pixels. If dead pixels appear on ur LCD screen... you would have to send the LCD back to where you purchased it.

Different companies have different policies as regards to dead pixels. Ex- Samsung claims there are no dead pixles on its screens while Viewsonic or even Sony advetise that dead pixles may be present when purchased.

Samsung 510n= 12,500 here
Samsung 710n= 19,000

I guess buying from India is the only logical solution. But, if you want to take a risk... you can import it... there will be a bitta customs to pay.. but yeah it'll be a lot cheaper than purchasing from India.

Also in the US you will get LCDs with DVI input whereas LCDs available in India feature only VGA input.( Exceptions: Benq and some Viewsonic models)

Well you could educate your friend on dead pixels and ask him/her to check for dead pixels before buying. You friend could use it for some time before getting it here. This way the monitor can be given back if any problems show up. Most stores have a "no questions asked, returns policy" of around 14 days. Stick to brands that are serviceable in India viz. Sony, Viewsonic, Samsung etc. Sony's have decent international warranties (which any service centre will respect, regardless of where you purchased the product)

Keith

ray_b

Right off the assembly line
Let me share my LCD blues!
I had HP1530 and sharpT15G4 on my mind when I had decided to purchase one a few months ago.I had seen the rankings and international prices at pcworld.com.When I went to market I found that the dealers of HP are not aware that Hp makes lcd panels.Later when I contacted Hp I was told that the price of the model is Rs.27000! In international market the price is around $250!
Sharp Business systems India's website sbsil.com carries a picture of the model T15A4.After repeated email and phone enquiries over the last few
months the Kolkata office today responded to tell me that they are not marketing lcd monitors.I already knew that ,but my hope was that Sharp's MD had stated that "we are not marketing lcd monitors in India but if someone is prepared to wait for the time required to give delivery after placing orders we may take the orders.
I had also considered getting it couriered from some "phoren" land but never got the drive to do that.It feels awkward.
Samsung, LG and Benq etc are available in the market but they have their limitations.Afetr some googling I found out reviews that Samsungs texts are "uneven" (though it's multimedia is quite good),LG's colour reproduction is not qiute up to the mark even with the much hyped F-engine(you may check at tomshardware.com) ,Benq's electricity consumption is a little bit on the higher side for lcd standards etc etc.
Now I am considering buying a Samsung because their is little alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom