Latest Hardware Prices & Quotes..!!

how would be the combination of

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
+
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
+
8 to 12 gb ddr 3 RAM

please suggest 1gb gfx dx11 in budget( if available in 15k or what is the least price available at present)

these for a work station.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@azaad_shri75.

1) there is no use in going for CF enabled board if you are looking for AV editing
2) 8 to 12 gig of RAM?? are you serious?
3) dx11 1gb card for AV editing??
4) Phenom II X4 965 is at 12k but I would prefer core i5 750 at that price.

1) Core i5 750: 10.5k-11k
2) Gigabyte P55 based board: 6.5k to 7k
3) Corsair 2x2Gb DDR3 1333MHz ram: 6k
4) ATI FireGL V5600: around 19k or nVidia quadro FX1500: around 17k.

Do remember that 1Gb or 2Gb VRAM doens't matter for workstation cards.

reason i suggested firegl/quadro is because you are going to do AV editing.

if your editing is limited to 2D then nVidia Quadro NVS295 for 7k is more than enough.

@desiibond

thank you for valuable suggestions, its like this it would used for post production of movies, with 2 x 24" monitors setup and working on max/maya and inventor to make models and animations, so 8gb is my base requirement and occasional gaming for relaxation and fun,
also atleast 2tb hdd space either 1tb each or four 500 gb each or what ever is feasible and it would be connected music instruments like keyboard for compositional work and microphone for recording and dubbing and other relevant, peripherals........

so keeping these in view please suggest a good config , with suitable smps/cabinet and the system should be future proof for at least 3-5 yrs:smile::grin:

Krow

Crowman
That's a unique requirement. Yes, core i5 is the most VFM way to go. Desii's config is nice. For PSU, have a look at Seasonic S12II Bronze 500W @ 5k (3 year warranty) or Corsair VX550W @ 5.8k (5 year warranty). Both are great brands.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

For HDD's have a look at Seagate 7200.12 2x1TB @ 8k. Most suitable for you. Else get the WD Black which is 6k or so for 1TB.

That's a unique requirement. Yes, core i5 is the most VFM way to go. Desii's config is nice. For PSU, have a look at Seasonic S12II Bronze 500W @ 5k (3 year warranty) or Corsair VX550W @ 5.8k (5 year warranty). Both are great brands.
ok got it,

what with my selection, as I dont want to go under run very soon, as with present set up with old 915 board and fit for nothing 2.8 gz cpu, however when I bought this it was not for studio set up.

so some solid rig for 3-5 years,I dont want any performance lag while working, live.

Krow

Crowman
If budget is no concern, then Core i7 will be my recommendation. It will cost you around 20k more than the core i5 setup. You didn't read my suggestion about HDD's it seems? Did you? It's in my post which you quoted. :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Yea I think you would need that much RAM. I spoke to a couple of my friends they are in your line of work. They use that much RAM. Insane....!

The Quardo/FireGL cards suggested by D.bond are good. My friends swear by them.

@Desibond:
Should we not suggest the quickest HDD platters with good buffer memories. This makes a difference in video editing. Since data needs to be accessed/written quicker. Velocity Raptors...?

For PSU:
Atleast a 650W should be there. Or a 750W. This user is going to mount a lot of stuff on his computer. It happens with video editing. The rigs are awesome.

Last edited:
then please suggest 2-3 examples of rig for the budget posted above letting me know of pros and cons

as I dont want to compromise on m/b+cpu+gfx+smps----please suggest the best not costly:) amd or intel any vfm not compromising on performance.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@asigh, yes. WD Black or Velociraptor should be perfect for 3D. I won't recommend a RAID setup for everyone as it requires some skill and some unknown operation on RAID array can cost huge data loss.

@azaad,

1) core i5 750 +Gigabyte P55+corsair DDR3
2) core i7 920 + EVGA X58 + G-Skill DDR3 performance ram
3) Phenom II X4 965 + 785G or 790GX + G-Skill DDR3 performance ram

or you can wait for the new core i7's (core i7 8xx series) that work on LGA1156 which is more mainstream than LGA1366 for current i7 processors. By going for LGA1156, you can save a lot of money on motherboard.

if you are going to work on dual monitor setup then you better pick the GPU first. for CPU, go for nothing less than Core i7.

And for GPU, my pick would be FireGL V5600 atleast.

I would advice you to do some digging on core i7, core i5, phenom II X4, FireGL, Quadro because you are putting huge amount for the rig and you better know about h/w before spending.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

PS: don't listen to your vendor if he says, quadro aur fire nahin chalta and tries to sell you world's best card "Geforce 8600GT" :)

tkin

Back to school!!
@asigh, yes. WD Black or Velociraptor should be perfect for 3D. I won't recommend a RAID setup for everyone as it requires some skill and some unknown operation on RAID array can cost huge data loss.

@azaad,

1) core i5 750 +Gigabyte P55+corsair DDR3
2) core i7 920 + EVGA X58 + G-Skill DDR3 performance ram
3) Phenom II X4 965 + 785G or 790GX + G-Skill DDR3 performance ram

or you can wait for the new core i7's (core i7 8xx series) that work on LGA1156 which is more mainstream than LGA1366 for current i7 processors. By going for LGA1156, you can save a lot of money on motherboard.

if you are going to work on dual monitor setup then you better pick the GPU first. for CPU, go for nothing less than Core i7.

And for GPU, my pick would be FireGL V5600 atleast.

I would advice you to do some digging on core i7, core i5, phenom II X4, FireGL, Quadro because you are putting huge amount for the rig and you better know about h/w before spending.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

PS: don't listen to your vendor if he says, quadro aur fire nahin chalta and tries to sell you world's best card "Geforce 8600GT" :)
In workstation GPUs, nVidia(Quadro) is best, in terms of support(drivers) or performance, ATI fireGL isn't that popular at all.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@Azaad:
If you can tell me the exact softwares you plan to use. I can talk to some friends tomorrow in more detail. They work for some big companies, and are into film/video editing. I know they use Quadro/FireGL for sure. Discussed it once with them.

It is going to be fun setting up this rig.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
In workstation GPUs, nVidia(Quadro) is best, in terms of support(drivers) or performance, ATI fireGL isn't that popular at all.

Yeah. FireGL may not be as popular as Quadro. So is Athlon and Phenom when compared to popularity of Intel's core2

But am yet to find a sub 20k workstation quadro card that can compete with V5700

@Azaad:
If you can tell me the exact softwares you plan to use. I can talk to some friends tomorrow in more detail. They work for some big companies, and are into film/video editing. I know they use Quadro/FireGL for sure. Discussed it once with them.

It is going to be fun setting up this rig.

bro, thanks a lot, s/w--nuendo,cubase, 3ds max, inventor,motion builder etc,
system would be used for not only a/v editing, also composing of music, a lot of vsti's would be loaded, and graphics development,

and also occasional gaming.

at present if we start multiple processes my system starts crying:lol:, offcourse present one cant take load of studio works:)

@desiibond, yes I can wait, there is no hurry for me, I can wait upto April/May 2010.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
bro, thanks a lot, s/w--nuendo,cubase, 3ds max, inventor,motion builder etc,
system would be used for not only a/v editing, also composing of music, a lot of vsti's would be loaded, and graphics development,

and also occasional gaming.

at present if we start multiple processes my system starts crying:lol:, offcourse present one cant take load of studio works:)

@desiibond, yes I can wait, there is no hurry for me, I can wait upto April/May 2010.

Sure, no issue. I have made a note of your requirements. Will speak to my friends, and get back to you.

Till then you can research the stuff D.bond recommended.

Top Bottom