Latest Hardware Prices & Quotes..!!

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
then whats the point of raid, ill only get 250gig, neways i just thought of going for 320gb harddrive

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^
RAID is used to increase performance of the system .. people often get confused on why connecting two HDD's in some RAID setupwill not increase the total space available. Its the datatransfer speed which is increased.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
o i c then i believe i dont need raid, i dont really care about the performance, i jsut neeed all of that space

xbonez

NP : Crysis
^^dude, clear outur confusion. in raid0 u get entire disk space

Raid 0 - 2 disks in raid 0. data is broken in to small pieces (as usual) and these pieces are written alternatively to the two disks. this greatly improves read/write speed and u get entire space. i.e. if u put 2x320gb hdds in raid 0, u get 640 gb drive (it shows up as a single drive). however, if one disk crashes, u the entire data on both the disks goes redundant

Raid 1 : 2 disks in raid 1. here all the data that is written on 1 disk is written on the other disk too. this is gud for data integrity. here, u get only half the space. i.e. if u have 2x320gb hdds in raid 1, it'll show up as just a single 320gb hdd. incase one drive crasehs, u can recover all the data from the other drive

Dude, so i reccomend u go in for 2x320gb in raid 0. u get the entire capacity, which is more than 500gb and u get significantly faster performance too at a reduced cost

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
oooooooo i see, but i dont exactly know how to i have to assemble my own pc, so that swhy im sticking with 1 500gig, anyways thanks for all yer help

arun_chennai

tech mighty
xbonez said:
^^dude, clear outur confusion. in raid0 u get entire disk space

Raid 0 - 2 disks in raid 0. data is broken in to small pieces (as usual) and these pieces are written alternatively to the two disks. this greatly improves read/write speed and u get entire space. i.e. if u put 2x320gb hdds in raid 0, u get 640 gb drive (it shows up as a single drive). however, if one disk crashes, u the entire data on both the disks goes redundant

Raid 1 : 2 disks in raid 1. here all the data that is written on 1 disk is written on the other disk too. this is gud for data integrity. here, u get only half the space. i.e. if u have 2x320gb hdds in raid 1, it'll show up as just a single 320gb hdd. incase one drive crasehs, u can recover all the data from the other drive

Dude, so i reccomend u go in for 2x320gb in raid 0. u get the entire capacity, which is more than 500gb and u get significantly faster performance too at a reduced cost

A very clear explanation...thanks..

Edburg

In the zone
utsav said:
^^exactly

but i have seen in anandtech.com where an article stated that Raid increases performance only in synthetic benchmarks but in real world performance increase is only 2-3 %....

and not to mention the slightly increased power consumption,heat,noise,space requirements by additional drive.....

so unless even a <5% improvement counts for cost of power,noise,etc.....go for it....else no

but since u get bigger size at lesser cost....you may go for it....

Last edited:
The_Devil_Himself said:
^^I think 3650 for 320gb is a little high.3-3.2k should be the right price.

Ya...I know....but I inquired from my shops.......the price varies between....3650-4200 /-

They also told me that....this HDD is new in market...with speed better than previous ones.....And...I think...they are right...As with my previous hdd...vista score was 5.5.....and with this....its 5.8....

utsav

damn busy...
Edburg said:
but i have seen in anandtech.com where an article stated that Raid increases performance only in synthetic benchmarks but in real world performance increase is only 2-3 %....

and not to mention the slightly increased power consumption,heat,noise,space requirements by additional drive.....

so unless even a <5% improvement counts for cost of power,noise,etc.....go for it....else no

but since u get bigger size at lesser cost....you may go for it....

its not true. Raid 0 always increases performance.i don't mean that u will get double performance but u will obviously get atleast 40% performance boost in evrything related to ur HDD ,like copying data and reading data.and always remember that ur HDD performance is greatly dependant on the size of the files u work with.several small files will take a lot more time to be transferred that a single big file.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
what do u mean impossible, i just said i have to assemble my pc how do u expect me to set up raid, anyways do u know any place in kolkata to buy a hddvd player i need one desperately

janitha

Wise Old Owl
bajaj151 said:
Ya...I know....but I inquired from my shops.......the price varies between....3650-4200 /-

They also told me that....this HDD is new in market...with speed better than previous ones.....And...I think...they are right...As with my previous hdd...vista score was 5.5.....and with this....its 5.8....

Is it more than 7200?

mobilogist

Keep Up The Good Work
can i use my 512 mb 400hz ddr ram with 1 gb ram of same speed. what should be the latency. also give me the pricesof 1 gb ram, please. :)

Top Bottom