Laptop with gud display

amn87

Broken In
Hi all cud anyone plz recommend a laptop with a decent display like gud contrast viewing angles brightness need not be fullhd:) max budget Rs 45k. I hv searched everywhere but no luck. No one seems to devote a single line to display quality unless there is smthing horribly wrong with it. Pls reply asap cuz my cousin wishes to purchase his laptop bf exam results r out.

I not expecting anything like hp dreamcolor or retina MBP. Just smthing a little bit better than the avg. Any config is ok display is the over riding criteria.

And no netbooks plz:)

OP
A

amn87

Broken In
Actually there are quite a few but all above rs 50k. Samsung np550p5c s01in(just 51k there is a very nice thread abt it) , dell xps 15z abt 60k with basic config. Sony vaio smthing 55k plus etc. Nothing special but much better than the crappy displays on most laptops..

randomuser111

Technomancer
@red dragon

Actually there are but none in 13-14 inch size.

There is the Dell Inspiron 15R SE FHD which is good quality, also there is the Vaio S15 which has Full HD IPS screen which is quite brilliant.
Though its a 15 incher its thin and weighs just 2kg.:)

OP
A

amn87

Broken In
According to this rite sony s15 suffers from color issues [Vaio S15] OrangeGate again ?

So i guess no laptops with gud display in the specified price range?

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
Orange Gate is an issue only for serious photographers, for a normal user you won't find any impact. And in fact most laptops display orange-ish Red. If you want perfect reds you have to spend upwards of 1 lac for professional machines with Adobe RGB color gamut screens like Vaio Z, Dell precision M, Lenovo Thinkpad W series, Hp Elitebook etc.

For a normal consumer S15 and MBP notebooks have good enough screens even though they do not have high color gamut.

Watch this video from 5:00 onwards the Reds on the 2012 S15 compared with 2010? MBP.

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPQ_GgcYfE

If you read the Amazon reviews and other user reviews you will notice that most people are amazed by the screen. And at its price its easily the best screen you can get.
I'm not saying it doesn't have an issue with Reds, it does as its a fault with the LG IPS panel itself but its not so bad as to ruin your visual experience unless you are a professional photo editor. And overall its miles better than all other Win notebooks below 1 lac.

Also read this to learn more about the screen and also the OrangeGate issue.
*www.anandtech.com/show/5722/sony-vaio-se-an-ips-laptop-for-under-a-grand/6

Quote from the Anandtech Review
For less demanding users, your eyes will mostly adapt to what you see on the screen, so while red might look orange, orange will look like something else and it all (mostly) works out. I can immediately notice the lack in contrast on a laptop without running any specialized tests; for color accuracy, though, it’s something I generally notice only when there’s a reference point nearby.

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
Actually there are quite a few but all above rs 50k. Samsung np550p5c s01in(just 51k there is a very nice thread abt it) , dell xps 15z abt 60k with basic config. Sony vaio smthing 55k plus etc. Nothing special but much better than the crappy displays on most laptops..

Not sure about 15z, but the Sammy one has pretty bad screen!

xOvErClOcKeRx

Broken In
Ordered my S15, will get it shipped by 10th. Guess I made the right choice by going for Vaio over Inspiron 15R SE FHD. Altough, according to notebookcheck.net, dell got a better contrast ratio and higher brightness. :C

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
Naah don't worry cuz notebookcheck model was one of the more lower extremes of panel quality. Usually S15/SE has 750:1 contrast Ratio. Significantly higher than Dell Inspiron 15R SE
Even the notebookcheck SE1 review lists contast ratio at 647:1. Dell Inspiron 15R SE on the other hand manages 533:1.

Don't worry you made the right choice. The S15 screen is superior to Inspiron FHD screen in every area. And completely trounces it in terms of viewing angles.

Top Bottom