Laptop under 90k for programming

Alan321

Right off the assembly line
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Rs. 90,000 or Below

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Netbook; 11" - 10” screen or less
Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
In Thin and Light or Mainstream category

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:
b. Dislike:
ANY brand is acceptable.

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Programming(I am a computer engineering student and would prefer if laptop has good multi-tasking capabilities) +web surfing.
(I am not interested in gaming.)

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
screen resolution: 1360 x 768 or higher. preferably matte display although glossy is also acceptable.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
I do require an optical drive.
I would prefer if the laptop could handle 2-3 OS as well. Also i would appreciate if one could comment if going for MACBOOK pro (without retina display) is a good option or not.

OP
A

Alan321

Right off the assembly line
If gaming is not your main task you can go for macbook.

Yeah...but only Macbook Pro(without retina display) meets the requirement. Rest all don't have optical disk drives. Also, the macbook pro(without retina display) doesn't offer ssd and i would really like to have a laptop with an ssd.

pratheeshps

Journeyman
I think you can have options other than Macbook.I would suggest you look for Windows laptops with i5 or i7,since wide variety of programming softwares are available in Windows platform.I think that by limiting yourself to a iMac platform,you are closing the window for options for customisations as well as 10000's of software choices.Only select Macbook if you are fully aware of these limitations. Macbook is a powerful notebook but if you are choosing it for having a fancy laptop ,to show off to your friends that I have an Apple laptop,you may not be happy with your decision later.As far as in my knowledge in Engineering Field & Programming ,Windows laptops should work just fine

Acer Aspire S7 391 (Intel Corei5- 4GB RAM- 256GB HDD- Win8- Intel HD Graphics 4000) (White) - Buy Laptops Online @ Lowest Prices | Snapdeal

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Buddy
AFAIK no programming application will need a CPU like i7 Quad!
IMO Even an i5 IB can handle it with ease.

Not really, there are many dev apps especially DB based which run much better on a higher CPU. Plus fast hard disk matters a lot in dev.

It's like buying a Gaming rig to do normal tasks. :|

Good built quality, a quality display, overall good specs, and reliability also make a system costly, not only a gaming machine. Is gaming only thing in this world making PCs/laptops expensive ?

amjath

Human Spambot
Consider Asus zenbook they offer ssd but no optical drive. Get a slim external optical drive.

randomuser111

Technomancer
I would suggest MBP Pro. :)

No i7 with IPS in Vaio range. The real 2013 Vaio range will have something for you, but that's still a few months away.

amjath

Human Spambot
I would suggest MBP Pro. :)

No i7 with IPS in Vaio range. The real 2013 Vaio range will have something for you, but that's still a few months away.

Macbook pro is heavier than macbook air. Also op needs optical disk drive.

So
Asus Zenbook
Samsung Series 9
Macbook Air

all + External optical drive

amjath

Human Spambot
^
Where did op write that he wants a skinny ultrabook
He wants a proper laptop, you dont use ultrabook for programming

Op said this

In Thin and Light or Mainstream category

So i suggested macbook air over macbook pro.

Also who said ultrabook is not for programming.

Ultrabook over regular laptop/notebook is
lighter
thinner
ultrabook have higher battery life

so ultrabook is way better for programming

randomuser111

Technomancer
Lol!!!

Op himself considered mbp pro. Is he stupid???

And no ultrabook is not suitable for programming as ULV cpus are slower than normal i3. So why spend 90k on useless crap performance wise???

amjath

Human Spambot
Lol!!!

Op himself considered mbp pro. Is he stupid???

And no ultrabook is not suitable for programming as ULV cpus are slower than normal i3. So why spend 90k on useless crap performance wise???

I suggested these cause my p4 can run oracle 10g and other big tools [ETL tools, Visual Studio 2008] having in mind. So for his task I think ULV cpu's inside ultrabooks are more than enough. Anyways if op wants to program/run Java or android SDK or c# using Visual studio. He can consider ultrabook or mac book air

randomuser111

Technomancer
It's not about whether it can run or not. Of course you CAN program on ultrabooks. But the question is HOW well it can run.

A GPU like GT630M is sufficient to run most games at low res, doesn't mean that someone looking for a gaming laptop should buy a GT630M laptop if his budget is 90k just because GT630M can run most games okay at low res.

MBP Pro 15 inch isn't that heavy. It's only 2.5kg compared to 1.6kg of most ultrabooks. But the power difference isn't even funny.

i7 Quad is wayyyyyyy more powerful than a puny ULV Cpu.

And a lot more future proof as well. Few years down the line the i7 quad will still be able to run any program effortlessly whereas ULV i5/i7 will just give up.

Dashing.Sujay already explained this but still it seems you haven't understood.

No offense to you but ultrabooks (especially ones that cost about 1 lac, are nothing but waste of money or for those who like to show off that they got a lot of cash)

@OP

My alternate suggestion will be Sony Vaio SVS15 @ 66k. Replace HDD with corsair force series 360 GB SSD (20k) and upgrade RAM to 12 GB (4k)

66+ 20 + 4 = 90k

Solid programming machine with 15 inch IPS 1080p screen and weighing in at just 1.9kg

Last edited:
Top Bottom