Laptop shuts down automatically

HalfOctave

Broken In
I have a Dell Studio 1555, which I am using from past 3 years. The laptop is used extensively and is in On condition for most of the time of the day. From past few months I am encountering a strange problem.

Few months back I had issues with my Laptop fan. It had stopped working. I got it repaired from Nehru Place and the fan is now serviceable. But now something else has gone bad, which causes my laptop to shut down suddenly. This normally happens when I play a game, watch a movie (works fine in small screen, shuts in full screen) or at some random instances.

Despite fan running, I can feel the machine getting heated up.

The above problem occurs in Windows 7. Strangely, I have RHEL 6 installed and that works fine. Though machine gets heated up like a stove in RHEL, but it doesn't switches itself off.

What can be the problem? I thought it is a hardware issue and I should open it in Hardware section but I was not sure. If Mods feel like it has to be there then please do the needful.

OP
H

HalfOctave

Broken In
Thanks for the reply. Is there any event logger available with help of which I can be sure of the problem? I can open my laptop, but where will I get the thermal paste?

frankeric

Journeyman
Thanks for the reply. Is there any event logger available with help of which I can be sure of the problem? I can open my laptop, but where will I get the thermal paste?

If you dont know how to open laptop than dont open it or you will make it worse.

Try updating the video drivers. As you mentioned that the laptop shuts down when watching movies in full screen and not in small window, so that could be a faulty graphic driver.

You could also run a live copy of Ubuntu (or any other Linux variant) and play the same movie in both full screen and small screen, if the laptop still shuts down, then it's surely a hardware issue, else, just a software problem.

Top Bottom