Laptop problem | No display sometimes distorted display

dekaron

Broken In
I think he meant BIOS update got interrupted and caused these problems, no way to verify.

RAM can be tested using memtest

DK_WD

WD Official
he told me that he had to replace the BIOS chip.

- - - Updated - - -

would it be okay to test the ram in the same laptop now ?

Hi [MENTION=113025]mastercool8695[/MENTION],

I agree with [MENTION=309338]dekaron[/MENTION]. There is no way to test manually the bios unless you have special tools from experts. For RAM test, I'd suggest you to try the different system and run the 3rd party utility software in your system to test the RAM condition.

Hope it helps.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I dont think he meant BIOS
the stuff you described is exactly what I went through with one of my desktops , it turned out to be a capacitor issue and there was a 50-50 chance of repair according to my trusted technician whom Ive got my stuff serviced and purchased for the last 15 years
I paid 3k for the new capacitors and I could actually see the bulge of the old capacitors
old ones were unsoldered and new ones soldered on , still running fine

Same issues happened to my dads old Macbook Pro
got it fixed for 4k from Lamington road,Mumbai

Usually the service centres ask you to change the Mobo for 10-20k minimum depending on model but frankly its better to change the capacitors for lesser

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Hi [MENTION=113025]mastercool8695[/MENTION],

I agree with [MENTION=309338]dekaron[/MENTION]. There is no way to test manually the bios unless you have special tools from experts. For RAM test, I'd suggest you to try the different system and run the 3rd party utility software in your system to test the RAM condition.

Hope it helps.

will try the ram on a friends laptop. after a few weeks.(when i get hold of one.)

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think he meant BIOS
the stuff you described is exactly what I went through with one of my desktops , it turned out to be a capacitor issue and there was a 50-50 chance of repair according to my trusted technician whom Ive got my stuff serviced and purchased for the last 15 years
I paid 3k for the new capacitors and I could actually see the bulge of the old capacitors
old ones were unsoldered and new ones soldered on , still running fine

Same issues happened to my dads old Macbook Pro
got it fixed for 4k from Lamington road,Mumbai

Usually the service centres ask you to change the Mobo for 10-20k minimum depending on model but frankly its better to change the capacitors for lesser

So, The price I paid for the replacement is good, right?
though, He probably told me a lie.
Didn't know capacitors cost so much. :blink:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, he forgot to wire up the speakers, so he'll be opening the laptop once again. Should I tell him to check that RAM too ?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
will try the ram on a friends laptop. after a few weeks.(when i get hold of one.)

- - - Updated - - -

So, The price I paid for the replacement is good, right?
though, He probably told me a lie.
Didn't know capacitors cost so much. :blink:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, he forgot to wire up the speakers, so he'll be opening the laptop once again. Should I tell him to check that RAM too ?

Capacitors dont cost much maybe ~750 bucks, they charge 2-4k because of the soldering part
plus we cant really complain since we dont know soldering (needs to be very very precise)
I dont think he lied, he probably was confused about what it was called or something