Laptop problem | No display sometimes distorted display

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys.
I have a Lenovo Laptop G510 (i5 4200M, 4 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2GB AMD Radeon 8570 graphics)

yesterday, I shut my laptop down @around 4:00 am.(so, technically, today)
when I tried to start my laptop today, first it showed no display, then on the second try, it showed the Lenovo logo perfectly, then when the windows logo comes in, it started showing some( non evenly distributed across the whole screen) horizontal lines made up of red, green, and blue colors.
I tried many times. very few times, it showed like this, other times, it was just black as if there is no display.

also, if I remove the battery and power both, then insert battery, then start up, then insert the power, a loud beep is heard. same loud beep when I remove it again.

I opened up the laptop, and all wires were play, I removed and inserted again the display cable too. but nothing better.

Please suggest what should I do
Thanku in advance

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
no.no such loud beep at boot.
the beep only happens in the case described in the opening post

- - - Updated - - -

no.no such loud beep at boot.
the beep only happens in the case described in the opening post

- - - Updated - - -

well, I tried to start the laptop a few minutes back, it showed the same fluctuating lines. I tried some more times, it started just fine now.
my head is just blown. Is there any tests or softwares which can tell what the problem was?
I mean, I want to know why and how it happened.

- - - Updated - - -

well, I tried to start the laptop a few minutes back, it showed the same fluctuating lines. I tried some more times, it started just fine now.
my head is just blown. Is there any tests or softwares which can tell what the problem was?
I mean, I want to know why and how it happened.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=113025]mastercool8695[/MENTION],

Based on your experience, it might be a MOBO issue. To confirm the problem, I'd suggest you to try the same MOBO on a different computer and put under observation for at least 8 hours. If the problem still occurs in different PC, then its a MOBO issue, otherwise it's a display issue.

dekaron

Broken In
Try these to isolate the problem

1. Safe mode
2. External monitor
3. Force only 1 GPU in BIOS

Its super hard to point out if motherboard is the one at fault especially in a laptop

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
I've tried external gpu. what I found out is: it works fine, but when the distorted lines come, they come on both the laptop's display as well as the External monitor. so, the laptop's display is alright. right?

How can I put this MOBO in another system?(I'd need another system, right?) I do have access to similar laptops, but they won't let me replace their mobo with mine.

I'd try safe mode, but under safe mode, what should I observe?

and what should be observed when only forcing one gpu?

- - - Updated - - -

I tried HWinfo, should I post the sensor values?
PCH temps were about 65 C
and core temps about 54-55 C
no load.
they're quite high, right?

- - - Updated - - -

currently, the temps are 44-49 C for the cores and 61-61 for the PCH

dekaron

Broken In
Temperatures are fine

Laptop display is fine

Press F8 after switching on laptop(sometime around lenovo logo) to get a list where SafeMode is one option, if things are good in safe mode then you need to wipe drivers and reinstall them fresh

Forcing only one GPU to see if it works is to isolate the hardware to see if its faulty, It should be either in catalyst control center , BIOS or both

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
okay. I'll do these and update here about the observations.

- - - Updated - - -

The laptop is back to the no display state. there's absolutely nothing.

sometimes, the laptop actually starts( the power on indicator is on until I force stop the laptop by long pressing the power button,) sometimes, its just a matter of a few seconds, after that, the indicators switch off automatically.

- - - Updated - - -

one more observation, the laptop gets really hot when there's no display (around the fan area)

dekaron

Broken In
Disable the AMD gpu if you get a chance or you need to go to the service center, nothing else to do with no display since you have checked the cables

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
is there any other way to disable the AMD gpu?

- - - Updated - - -

The laptop started fine yet again, how to disable the AMD graphics? I disabled it from the windows device manager and then I changed the Graphic device in BIOS from "switchable graphics" to " UMA Graphic"

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
in safe mode? how to switch it to safe mode? the f8 isn't working

- - - Updated - - -

yes, its working like normal.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, its working like normal.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked device manager, its shows for the Intel HD graphics 4600 as "windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems(Code 43).
I've disabled the AMD GPU, it no longer shows up in the device manager list

dekaron

Broken In
Are you using Win10? Cos it requires safe mode to be enabled in msconfig first

Get the intel HD drivers from lenovo site, uninstall catalyst drivers

Since you are getting display and no distortions the AMD card seems to be problem

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
The same problem started again today morning.
no,I'm using win 8.1
Had installed the intel HD drivers from lenovo website yesterday

dekaron

Broken In
Now the other way, enable AMD and force it in catalyst control centre, disable switchable graphics.

If that fails too motherboard is the culprit

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
the laptop is still having that problem. It hasn't worked since the last time I posted that it's working.

I'll be going to Kolkata tomorrow, will get it checked. BTW, what if the motherboard is the culprit? what would be the approx cost of a new one?
can I still use the processor from this one? or is it soldered type? how to check?

dekaron

Broken In
Depends, they are different for different manufacturers and models

If things are soldered the cost is not going to be worth getting mobo replaced over buying a new laptop, especially as other hardware might follow motherboard like lifespan. Except RAM HDD and Optical drive everything else is a pain to repair/replace.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
the laptop was bought for around 37.782 k (without the additional 8 gig RAM, it was added as an extra)

what should be the max amount of repair or replacement of parts, that I should opt the same, instead of buying a new laptop. The laptop was bought in December 2013. I'm currently a student. I don't want to buy a new laptop as that would again cost about 35k, which is very uncomfortable for me.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
From my past experience, its your graphic card issue.. (hardware).. sometimes simply heating the display chip part with hair dryer solves the issue (really hard heating..).. its essentially de-moisturing your hardware.. more than 60% times, in mobile shop and laptop repair shop, they fix simply by heating (removing moisture ) from right chip in mobo and gives you back. I had tried this on laptop as well as desktop chips.. you may try it.. however, on your own risk.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
hi all.
The Technician repaired the Laptop for 2.4k.
He told me not to do ant update and stuff and that the BIOS "udd gaya tha" also, he told me, that the 4gig ram (that came preinstalled with the laptop) has stopped working.

How can I verify these ?
he told me that the PC was shut down while in the middle of some update, and that's why the whole thing happened.

if it was as such, the laptop shouldn't have started up even one time, right ? but it did.(*www.digit.in/forum/hardware-q/1951...istorted-display-post2262238.html#post2262238)

Top Bottom