Not open for further replies.

alkesh_007

Broken In
Hello,

HP BUSINESS NOTEBOOK NX6325
AMD TURION MOBILE X2 1.6GHZ PROCESSOR
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK 2
1 GB RAM

My AC adaptor had stopped working so I bought a new one. Today after plugging in the
new adaptor, once the laptop started, after 5 mins it freezed and i could not shut it down
by ctrl+alt+del. Had to shut down by power button. Booting again caused same problem.
Then i restored the system to earlier state but problem persisted. Tried to run it in safe mode and it works fine.

But in normal mode it hangs up after startup.

What could be the issue?

Thanks.

OP
alkesh_007

alkesh_007

Broken In
This prob came up after using new adaptor. Laptop was off for almost 3 days
as the old power adaptor stopped working. I run laptop all the time on adaptor
as I dont have battery at the moment.

Its running fine in safe mode with networking. I am running the McAfee scan right
now. Once the scan finishes, will try and see if it works fine in normal mode again.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@alkesh_007: Goto HP customer care site and have a chat with the expert. I had a similar battery problem before and I solved it using the instructions given by the chat agent. they have the exact solution to every problem.

OP
alkesh_007

alkesh_007

Broken In
The problem still persists. It works fine for few mins after starting and then freezes.
Sometimes, it works fine for hours and then freezes again.

I did system recovery using HP's recovery disk but still same prob.

Today, I contacted HP customer care by phone. First they asked me
to run the diagnostic tests on memory and hdd. Both tests passed.
After that they are saying you need to replace the motherboard.

It works fine in safe mode. It doesnt freeze. Should I replace the motherboard?
I still doubt, there could be any prob with motherboard.

Now I will try and clean the RAM and see what happens.

OP
alkesh_007

alkesh_007

Broken In
*Update*

Had removed RAM and reseated it. Still the problem continued.

Updated BIOS and other drivers and freezing stopped. Since then I have not
experienced any hangs.
Also installed windows XP service pack 3.

There is one new issue - systems slows down too much. CPU usage is 100% most
of the time. If one application, say Firefox is running it would take up 50-70% of CPU
usage.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

OP
alkesh_007

alkesh_007

Broken In
@Charan..

My notebook is not supported by the active chat session.
It does not recognise the product number and serial number.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
u dont have battery and run on adaptor only!

where did you get the new adaptor? is it a reputable brand? is it replacement from HP?

as regards the system slowing down, it might be some virus or spware or malware, etc

use HP recovery again and see...

visor619

i dont live, i survive
@ alkesh
if ur task manager is showing 100% usage, it may not necessarily be a hardware problem.. as u hav already said, after updating ur drivers, the "freezing" problem stopped.. it may be due to trojans... try this, open task manager>click on processes> choose explorer.exe>right click>end task.. now the explorer wil close.. after that click on 'new task'>browse>run any application that was previously taking up 50-70%.. chances are, it wil run smoothly now.. if it does, press ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager, goto"new task">type "explorer.exe" and hit enter... again, u will c that the process,"svchost.exe" is running on 90-100%... if this or part of the above happens, it is clear that there are memory trojans in ur system.. a clean format would solve the problem... the process looks lenthy but wud take less than 5 mins and wont harm ur system in any way.. worth trying atleast

PS: Mc Afee sucks big time... try kaspersky or nod32... nod32 is heavy on resources though...

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
u dont have battery and run on adaptor only!

where did you get the new adaptor? is it a reputable brand? is it replacement from HP?

as regards the system slowing down, it might be some virus or spware or malware, etc

use HP recovery again and see...

as I have seen this model I can precisely say it hs got battery :D
Really from where did you get this adaptor from.

Try systemchecks like defrag and what are the processes at startup, check msconfig.
what antivirus are you using.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
I run laptop all the time on adaptor as I dont have battery at the moment..
r u saying u dont have battery means "no battery plugin" or it is there but not working and not getting charged or it is not charged now

OP
alkesh_007

alkesh_007

Broken In
@realdan
I run on adaptor because I have to buy a new battery. Its very costly here in UK.
Adaptor bought directly from HP.

I have McAfee Security Centre installed. I have done full system scan and found no viruses.

@Visor619

I will see if it works.

Thanks..

**Update**

I did what Visor619 had suggested. But it didn't work.

I removed Windows XP SP3 and system is back to normal. No more sluggish
performance and no more 100% continuous CPU usage.

Thank you all for help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom