Laptop for an architecture student

saratdear

Broken In
General Questions

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD) - 45k - 50k INR

2) What size notebook would you prefer? - 15"

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Neither

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? CAD work, I'll do some hobby 3d work (Blender and stuff), watching movies, browsing. Something which can run 3ds max and all comfortably would be nice

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? - college and hostel. I'll also take it to my home once in a while, so portability is a must.

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? - I'd *like* to try out games like GTA 4 and nfs and all, but this isn't an absolute must.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need? - Something like 2 hrs? Not really a problem - I can always work plugged in.

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? - this is a tough one - I don't mind, but since it's my father who's going to do the paying, I don't know what he'll say. Let's say online.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc. - Windows 7. I might try out an ubuntu dual boot.

Screen Specifics

11) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? - I'm really clueless when it comes to screen resolutions. A full hd one which would be comfortable for 3d work and movies and occasional games.

Something about myself - I'm an architecture student. i joined this course because I was interested in visualisations and that kind of stuff. I said CAD work because we're having that from the second year. i'll be doing a lot of hobbyist 3d as well. PLUS this is going to be holding all my pictures and personal stuff, movies and the like - you know how college students are.

Are there any more details I should give?

Sarat

kbar1

Journeyman
^^ Agree. Total VFM.
If you need Windows preinstalled, this variant has it: K53SV-SX521V: [flipkart.com].
The link says its got a NVIDIA GT520M, but I'm sure its a mistake. It has a GT540M.

aroraanant

Explorer
Just get the model that have been suggested you above.
At the same time also enquire about Sony CB35,though it is very difficult to find one now as it has been discontinued by the company but in case if you find one just grab it,it will cost you around 52-53k

OP
S

saratdear

Broken In
Thanks for the suggestion, it's currently out of stock in flipkart, I've clicked on notify me.

Reading thru the reviews there, my only concern is that it seems to be more focussed on gaming. Do you guys think it'll perform equally well for 3d and other stuff as well?

prvprv

Journeyman
Why are they discontinuing some good models? asus X53sc sx223D also got discontinued. Lucky I got this 2 weeks ago. :)
any idea which new model replaced this 223D?

OP
S

saratdear

Broken In
Thank you for the suggestions guys, 8GB seems slightly overkill to me, and the budget is actually something I fixed without asking my dad. :lol: So I'll have to ask him and get back to you.

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
Its selling for 53.8k on flipkart now.
I think its a great deal.And the Full HD screen with backlit keyboard is the best thing in this laptop.

Top Bottom