Laptop for After Effects, Photoshop, Light Gaming

joshi.varun91

Broken In
Hey guys,
Need pointers as i've totally lost touch of the whole laptop configurations.
I had a HP DV6 1110ax , bought in 2008 which finally died last week. I still tried to get it repaired but the service guy told the proccy is gone, and even repairs wont make it last more than a month. He advised to buy a new one.
Had terrible heating issues , thought never had to take it to service center. Got it serviced twice since i bought it. But still not a HP, Dell fan.

As a hobby, i learnt After Effects, and used to add visual fx to videos, but my prev laptop (Turion X2, ATI 4650), took ages to render videos, even in 480p (720p took 6 hours for a 5 min video).

I've filled out the questionnaire below.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
35k (+- 2k) , Even that would be on EMI or loan from parents :p

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Wanna use After Effects , photoshop with ease. Along with that watching videos/movies, programming, browsing.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eyeing for ?
My last laptop had AMD, ATI combo, and i heard <b>AMD=heating issues </b> , but dont have much idea.
Looking for: intel+nvidia this time

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Asus, (not much idea sorry)
b. Dislike: Dell, HP

Interested in: This

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution : HD preferred
Battery back up : normal 3-4hrs
Purchase place: Anything/Anywhere. Can go to Bangalore to pick locally also.

Wanna purchase this in the coming week. As soon as possible.
USB 3.0 required.
Want this laptop to last another 4-5 years :)

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Re: Budget Laptop mainly for Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Gaming (if possible ), Immediate Purcha

Dude this is best match for you!
(Business Class and reliable)
*www.flipkart.com/dell-vostro-14-v3...graph/p/itmdw2nhwafs3zwh?pid=COMDW2KBEGDPKDSY

Ticks all boxes!
Top line specs in this segment!
Check locally in market for bargain!

Vostro,i5 4210U,4GB RAM,2 GB Nvidia 820M,500 GB HDD.
You can install OS yourself right!

38.9k decent price!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

joshi.varun91

Broken In
Re: Budget Laptop mainly for Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Gaming (if possible ), Immediate Purcha

& you identify yourself as admin or what?

(Business Class and reliable)
*www.flipkart.com/dell-vostro-14-v3...graph/p/itmdw2nhwafs3zwh?pid=COMDW2KBEGDPKDSY

Ticks all boxes!
Top line specs in this segment!
Check locally in market for bargain!

Vostro,i5 4210U,4GB RAM,2 GB Nvidia 820M,500 GB HDD.
You can install OS yourself right!

38.9k decent price!

Holy mother of god, this looks splendid. Actually it does tick all the boxes!
The only thing is im a bit skeptical about Dell. I mean, have heard bad reviews about dell that it always faces some kind of failure (like hdd, mobo, proccy), but i guess we have bad reviews about a lot of companies.

Is there any detailed review of this particular model out there? Also, i'd really appreciate if you could check the Asus i mentioned. Biggest down on that i see is just 2 usb ports that too side by side. Heard locally you get that for 31-32k. Pretty good bargain, but im not sure about the processor or the gpu. Shed some light on it , please :)

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent

Holy mother of god, this looks splendid. Actually it does tick all the boxes!
The only thing is im a bit skeptical about Dell. I mean, have heard bad reviews about dell that it always faces some kind of failure (like hdd, mobo, proccy), but i guess we have bad reviews about a lot of companies.

Is there any detailed review of this particular model out there? Also, i'd really appreciate if you could check the Asus i mentioned. Biggest down on that i see is just 2 usb ports that too side by side. Heard locally you get that for 31-32k. Pretty good bargain, but im not sure about the processor or the gpu. Shed some light on it , please :)

Asus is a downgrade to i3 3217U so forget your Photoshop & Aftereffects rendering!

I didn't find reviews but the combo is great as you won't get leading specs in any laptops!

As for Vostro line is considered it is a Business Class laptop.Dell has a legacy in manufacturing business class Laptops!
Don't worry it is a great laptop!

OP
J

joshi.varun91

Broken In

Asus is a downgrade to i3 3217U so forget your Photoshop & Aftereffects rendering!

I didn't find reviews but the combo is great as you won't get leading specs in any laptops!

As for Vostro line is considered it is a Business Class laptop.Dell has a legacy in manufacturing business class Laptops!

hey thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Last comparison please. Can you check this vs the dell ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

hey thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Last comparison please. Can you check this vs the dell ?

That's a very strong laptop. Go for it.
Also if you want the best laptop performance wise go for Samsung but I would rather not comment on build quality/ASS.

OP
J

joshi.varun91

Broken In

That's a very strong laptop. Go for it.
Also if you want the best laptop performance wise go for Samsung but I would rather not comment on build quality/ASS.

So you mean the Lenovo is better than the dell ? Samsung which one ?
Gosh, this is becoming really confusing. Dell one looks really cool, since its 14 inches and pretty sturdy performance and build vise. Gonna buy in a day or two. Please advise :(

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

Lenovo's main advantage is the CPU which is very strong. GPU wise the performance should be comparable to 820m(considering it is Fermi and not Maxwell which it should be).
IDK much about Samsung, just look for one which has a 'M' processor and GT 740m or AMD HD 8750M/8670M.

- - - Updated - - -

Lenovo has a legacy of manufacturing Business laptop, not Dell. -.-

OP
J

joshi.varun91

Broken In

So it boils down to Lenovo G500 vs Dell Vostro 14 V3446.

So then, which to go for ? I just checked the video of the dell on youtube, looks very business,elegant types (my preference) and its 14 inches.
But which would be best for rendering videos/multitasking etc ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

Lenovo G500

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent

So it boils down to Lenovo G500 vs Dell Vostro 14 V3446.

So then, which to go for ? I just checked the video of the dell on youtube, looks very business,elegant types (my preference) and its 14 inches.
But which would be best for rendering videos/multitasking etc ?

Performance-Lenovo as AMD is good with Rendering!

Battery Life and overall build-Dell

Right lenovo does has legacy as it inherited it from IBM.
But Dell as a company in business line has improved tremendously!

OP
J

joshi.varun91

Broken In

wow this is difficult. Im leaning more towards Lenovo now just because there are many reviews available and many youtube videos. The dell is the latest model, and i couldnt even find its proccy benchmark results.
I'm most probably gonna buy it tomorrow or day after. So untill then, im open to more suggestions and clarifications.

Still in doubt between Lenovo and Dell.

PS: parents informed me about some complaint between lenovo and snapdeal, and in the other thread there is snapdeal vs dell thing going on. So snapdeal is a big no no ? Should i go look for local purchase rather than online one ? Any benefits of that ?

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0

Stick to a local seller than online ones for Lenovo. They have done warranty issues I suppose

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

Lenovo Processor>>>Dell Processor.

I would suggest you buy offline.

OP
J

joshi.varun91

Broken In

Stick to a local seller than online ones for Lenovo. They have done warranty issues I suppose

Lenovo Processor>>>Dell Processor.

I would suggest you buy offline.

Thanks a lot, that settles it then. Will go with Lenovo. Hopefully i'll try to find a local seller.
Thanks a lot guys. Seriously :)

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz

Thanks a lot, that settles it then. Will go with Lenovo. Hopefully i'll try to find a local seller.
Thanks a lot guys. Seriously :)

Word of caution though, if flipkart mentions the specs correctly then this G500 has an 8570 ati card which is prehistoric.......its quite outdated now and you can imagine well it will age.

I would never recommend this laptop to anyone

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent

Word of caution though, if flipkart mentions the specs correctly then this G500 has an 8570 ati card which is prehistoric.......its quite outdated now and you can imagine well it will age.

I would never recommend this laptop to anyone

+1 I completely agree!
Check specs with Lenovo!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

The thing is a good gpu in this range is only provided by Samsung. ATI sunpro 8570m is more less equivalent in performance to Gt 820 which is again based on prehistoric Fermi architecture. The advantage of the lenovo over the Dell is its very strong cpu.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
The thing is a good gpu in this range is only provided by Samsung. ATI sunpro 8570m is more less equivalent in performance to Gt 820 which is again based on prehistoric Fermi architecture. The advantage of the lenovo over the Dell is its very strong cpu.

Not really, if one considers thr gaming benchmarks on notebookcheck,820m still has some juice(because nvidia likes to overclock its cards) whereas 8570m is just plain bad.

Top Bottom