Laptop for 3d Design?

swooosh32

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD) Between 60 and 65k

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Atleast 15 inches

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? Also state that if Amazon.com or Newgg.com ships to your country India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Not really.

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? 3d design using 3ds Max, Maya, Mudbox, VRay and Sketchup. Apart from that, watching films occasionally and music. But the primary task will be 3d design.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both. But weight is not a massive issue.

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? No.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need? 2 or 3 hours if possible. Not a big priority though

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Preferably see it, because I am quite picky about keyboards :oops:. But not fussed about buying it online without seeing it either.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Anything will do.

Screen Specifics

11) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
Not too bothered, ideally a full HD screen but again it's not a priority

The most important things for me are having a good processor, i7 and atleast 4GB RAM with about 1 or 2 GB of graphic RAM so that I won't have to replace it for a while.

I was considering the HP DV6-6165Tx, HP DV6-6121Tx, ASUS K53SV-SX521D and the Lenovo Z570. I will be going to Nehru place in Delhi sometime this week to check out prices, also to see if there are any other computers they have in stock there that aren't on sale in India yet like the HP Envy so if any one has any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks.

Bump. Can anyone help please? Am going to Nehru Place later today or tomorrow so want to know what laptops to check out?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Go for Asus n55sf. i7-2670, GT555M gfx, 8GB RAM, USB 3.0 * 2.

Check out- *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...gaming-laptop-under-65000k-2.html#post1543865

clmlbx

Technomancer
I would recommend not to buy laptops for 3D work..How can you work in 15-17inch screen ..In my experience you need at least 19-20 screen so whole UI fits in .. And dual monitor setup is always preferred for this work.

I don't think you can get any good GPU for this kind of work.. + heat issues and limitation and more..

If even you are firm to buy then you should look out for Desktop replacement,workstation.. IMO

OP
S

swooosh32

Broken In
I would recommend not to buy laptops for 3D work..How can you work in 15-17inch screen ..In my experience you need at least 19-20 screen so whole UI fits in .. And dual monitor setup is always preferred for this work.

I don't think you can get any good GPU for this kind of work.. + heat issues and limitation and more..

If even you are firm to buy then you should look out for Desktop replacement,workstation.. IMO

I also have another computer at my workplace for design but need one that I can use for the same needs at home. However I am a complete novice when it comes to the hardware side of things.

What sort of desktop replacements would you suggest?

clmlbx

Technomancer
see here I am not suggesting particularly these laptops but u will have an Idea..

Best desktop replacement laptops - CNET Reviews

Top Desktop Replacement Laptops | PCWorld

Desktop replacements are not very Lite and beautiful.. They are little heavy and not stylish..

But performance is top notch.. Like alienware or Dell XPS-Precision series..

Last edited:

Ajt

Right off the assembly line
Yes, N55sf is perfect for maya or any 3d programs.
K53 series is also good but it's resolution is only HD.
and the viewing angle of k53 is below average but looks cool and very powerful.
If you could afford N55sf then that is the right choice.
I am also planning to get one. It'z a great machine fully loaded with
power and latest technoligies.

OP
S

swooosh32

Broken In
The N55SF was priced at 71k when I checked yesterday in Nehru Place so it's a bit too expensive for me!

What should I be looking for?
  1. i5 or i7 processor?
  2. How much RAM will be sufficient, will 4GB be enough?
  3. What GPU should I look for? And will 1GB be enough?
  4. Obviously I would prefer a FHD screen but can I sacrifice any of the above, like processor or GPU for a full HD screen instead of 1366x768 screen?

I have narrowed it down to the HP DV6-6165tx/DV6-6121tx, the Asus K53 or the N55 (if I can get the price down to about 60 or 65k) and the Sony CB35.

Thanks again

:)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
The thread which I gave you link of, the OP has bought N55sf for 63K :shock:. Contact him. This is the address of the shop- *yellowpages.sulekha.com/hyderabad/...bad-1032516_contact-address.htm?business=pst#

For your question.
Don't sacrifice on processor and GPU as you can easily add RAM later. Plus 4GB is min.

Top Bottom