Laptop for 20k

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It's for my friend's friend. He is doing Junior Research Fellowship. This is for his research/study purpose. I don't know much about him or his research. So I guess his needs won't be beyond basic. When my friend asked laptop for 20k, I said "I don't think there is any under 20k". At least the budget should be around 30k to get it. But when I checked online, there are few models comes under 20k. So here I am hoping you guys could suggest the best one under this budget.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Rs. 20,000/- (Possibly he could stretch up to 25k, but that is not sure, so suggest lappy under 20k and 20-25k.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
As big as possible in this budget

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? Also state that if
Tamil Nadu, India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Any good brands will do. Good after sales

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
I am not sure what's the primary task here. Assuming basic needs.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Yes, taking to different places.

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
I guess not.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Longer the better

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Will be buying in person in the local shop. Not on online.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows (XP will soon by obsolete, I think. Vista is fine)

Screen Specifics

11) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
Since it's depends on the size, I leave it to you guys to pick the best one. He is just in his 20s. So he can very well read the small fonts.

While you are giving me the suggestion, I am looking for models on the internet. He will be buying in a couple of days. So your suggestion, sooner the better. :) Thank you.

Monk

Journeyman
@OP what screen size are you looking for?
If you want the best laptop for this price (Below 20K) go for ThinkPad X120E.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys... There are plenty of laptops under 20k. I didn't think that laptop could be this cheap. Does Thinkpad X120E has optical drive, coz I don't see it in the specification. Laptop buying reference thread also suggested Samsung. Thank you once again.

aroraanant

Explorer
Have a look at this:
Asus X44H-VX025D
It has got 2ng i3 2330M thats the latest one.
500GB HDD
USB 3.0
Bluetooth V3.0.
Its the best low budget laptop anyone can get.
Tell your friend to get this one, though it is above 20k but its totally worth it.

And its performance will be better than the dual core laptop suggested above.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Yeah, sure.

Just for my knowledge is there any difference between "i3" and "2nd generation i3"?

aroraanant

Explorer
Yes there is a lot of difference in their performance and also the normal/old i3 has been discontinued now.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Asus X54H-SX227D @ 24,169 if you are gonna do some multitasking or heavy use.
Samsung RV513-A02IN @ 20592 if you want to watch 2-3 movies back to back without charging.

PS: both will fail if you try gaming. pick.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you Sam and Arora. I hope he would have bought it by now. I am yet to hear it from him.

Top Bottom