Laptop Dead - Motherboard cost?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hey guys, my laptop died today.. it was showing signs of aging from many months and this was expected. I would like to know what would be the approximate cost for a motherboard replacement.

the model is HP DV6602AU. I also think the GPU is gone.

so where can I get my laptop repaired.. obviously I don't want to go to HP as they rip off people once a product is out of warranty.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Take it to SP Road and show it in some shops. You should get a cheaper deal. HP will rip you by at least 10-13k.
BTW, you can take it to HP and have it inspected if the mobo can be repaired. They will take some 500 bucks for inspecting that.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Service centre won't repair for sure. They know only replacement. Take it to a local repairing shop. OEM board will cost at least 10k as said that too with least chances of availability.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
the motherboard previously had problems with GFX/Chipset and it was purchased in 2007 (I think). got the "GFX Chip" replaced atleast twice.

I forgot to mention what the exact problem was.
About two months ago the audio died. "Sound card" not detected nor displayed in device manager. checked linux too and that too failed.

and last week just before the laptop went dead, my brother told me that he saw "lines" all over the screen and then it went kaput. my obvious doubt is the GPU. I wanted to dig a grave for that laptop and bury it deep down, but my father insists my to get it repaired (FrankienLaptop) :lol:

ill check out first at HP and then head to SP Road. :p

EDIT: I actually don't want to put anymore money in that laptop, but can't help.. I need to spend on repair/spares + new battery also :|

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
My personal advice, get a new laptop as cheap as possible and get life. All the repairs you're thinking to do will cost 15k+ which is a too impractical decision to take.

amjath

Human Spambot
My friends alienware laptop motherboard gone kaput, it is changed by dell but with a refurnished board. So be careful. he spent 11k

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Sujay..yes.. I had suggested my dad to got for a new laptop initially. Later(two weeks back) we purchased a new desktop (bigger screen for his aging eyes :) ). and you know old people.. he doesn't want the laptop to gather dust even if its not working :|, I know how this is gonna end.... a hole in my wallet..

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
let me get the laptop to HP first.. then ill think if its better to get a new laptop. :)

Top Bottom