Kernel Comparison: Linux (2.6.20) versus Windows (Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
[SIZE=+1]News[/SIZE]
From 18 April 2007 this comparison is being upgraded to Vista! For the next few days there will be a mix of 2003 and Vista. Watch this space for the best Linux verses Vista kernel comparison.
[SIZE=-1]Intro[/SIZE]
This aims to be the most comprehensive0 kernel1, 2 comparison3 of the latest most popular Unix style kernel versus the latest most popular kernel. In Q2 2007, this means Linux 2.6.20 kernel versus Windows Vista kernel.
Kernel New Feature Comparison: Linux (2.6.21) versus Windows (Vista Server)
[SIZE=-1]Key[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]better or more flexible[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] vs. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]worse or less flexible[/SIZE][SIZE=-1], neutral or controversial.[/SIZE]
read full @:
*widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel Comparison Linux vs Windows
You can judge the winner.

mediator

Technomancer
wtf, and I thought windows supported more hardware architecture! :shock: Thats a heavy blow to my thoughts!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well out of the box windows does support lesser drivers but still windows has the edge that any hardware manufacturer will make a driver for windows so well windows does have better driver support overall.

shantanu

Technomancer
shri75 said:
windows generally beg or borrow or steal from open source or mac.

dont you think you overexpressed yourself... just try not to flame...
your post can be offensive...

shantanu

Technomancer
hey freebird..not just vista... you can say M$ fans... and BTW.. you yourself is showing your fanboyism by your custom user title.. you better beware..

@amitava... you are correct dude :D

OP
freebird

freebird

Debian Rocks!
^^ cool down have a cup of coffee :)) will get ur brains right!and u admitted urself a fanboy!OK then am a fan of GNU/Linux and FOSS.

praka123

left this forum longback
any thoughts on BSD UNIX*

Linux kernel sure is a gr8 miracle as all of it comes from voluntary work although there are BIG contributions from Companies like RedHat,IBM etc.got lotta arch support!
ppl needs to consider comparing with FreeBSD kernel afaik the most hardened and stable one powering many prominent web sites!but who cares Linux kernel steals the show :(.apple uses(looted) FreeBSD as core for MacOS X as these BSD guys licenced the kernel with BSD licence which allows copying without retaining original source work unlike Linux's GPL.:(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Despite of having so much so called hardware support, Linux kernal is still not mature or stable enough for a hardware. Just one of many reasons that hardware vendors are shy to make drivers for linux. One driver does not fits all Distros. Can't they just keep the driver part unified among all dstribution.

What the point of supporting every hardware out there 60% insted of supporting a standerd which works unified among all Linux distro. Linix is no where close to Vista's kernal when it comes to ease of use. The openness of Linux kernal is the reason it has so many distributions with no interopratibility leading to confusion & unstability. Now I hope you won't say Linux doesn't crash.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gx_saurav said:
Despite of having so much so called hardware support, Linux kernal is still not mature or stable enough for a hardware. Just one of many reasons that hardware vendors are shy to make drivers for linux. One driver does not fits all Distros. Can't they just keep the driver part unified among all dstribution.

What the point of supporting every hardware out there 60% insted of supporting a standerd which works unified among all Linux distro. Linix is no where close to Vista's kernal when it comes to ease of use. The openness of Linux kernal is the reason it has so many distributions with no interopratibility leading to confusion & unstability. Now I hope you won't say Linux doesn't crash.
Well others who spread FUD atleast have better grammar.

shantanu

Technomancer
gx_saurav said:
Despite of having so much so called hardware support, Linux kernel is still not mature or stable enough for a hardware. Just one of many reasons that hardware vendors are shy to make drivers for linux. One driver does not fits all Distros. Can't they just keep the driver part unified among all dstribution.

What the point of supporting every hardware out there 60% insted of supporting a standard which works unified among all Linux distro. Linux is no where close to Vista's kernel when it comes to ease of use. The openness of Linux kernel is the reason it has so many distributions with no interopratibility leading to confusion & unstability. Now I hope you won't say Linux doesn't crash.

absolutely right.. whenever i wanted to try a linux distro... something goes bad.. firstly there was no support for SATA, then when they gave support for it, then other compatiblity problems... and all..

well Linux is OSS.. this is the thing which makes a difference.. and comparing can never be a solution...

just a simple thing i cant understand, when anyone speaks about Windows then its ok, but when it is on linux then why i see flames ... :p

Possible

Custom User Title
^^
One small tip: Read your own post, you'll get it. :)

@tech_your_future - Hah, man, you're too witty! :p

mediator

Technomancer
Linux kernal is still not mature or stable enough for a hardware. Just one of many reasons that hardware vendors are shy to make drivers for linux. One driver does not fits all Distros.
What the point of supporting every hardware out there 60% insted of supporting a standerd which works unified among all Linux distro
Can u elaborate a little more on above quoted statements. I thought all the Linux distros were based on a kernel maintained by Linux torvalds!

Linix is no where close to Vista's kernal when it comes to ease of use.
What has kernel to do with ease of use? :neutral: All the way in software engineering books I read kernel level working is "transparent" to Mr.average Joe!

The openness of Linux kernal is the reason it has so many distributions with no interopratibility leading to confusion & unstability.
How does it leads to unstabilty?

Now I hope you won't say Linux doesn't crash
Well, Its been 3+ years I guess. Fc3, Fc4, Fc5....all without any updates.....and I have yet to experience any crash......the reason I like Linux. Some applications do crash sometimes, but its not like that it will take the whole OS with it and u r rendered helpess completely endangering the life of ur hdd by pushing the reset button! Even if an app gets hanged, u can easily close it without doing a "kill" simply by closing it where it ask u to "force quit". Even if the app gets hanged, then also u can continue with ur oracle server, 10 webpages, gimp, xmms etc! I may be lucky u can say, but I dont think its just a coincidence that fc3,4,5 all went fine.....or is it? :neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom