Kerala student faces life in jail for not standing during National Anthem

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I don't like our national anthem anyway. Just talking about geographical beauty and states? Doesn't even mention all the states either and mentions Sindh?

Our National Song on the other hand is great.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I don't like our national anthem anyway. Just talking about geographical beauty and states? Doesn't even mention all the states either and mentions Sindh?

Our National Song on the other hand is great.

They should probably make it into the next national anthem. But does it/would it really matter?

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
A Life sentence is way overkill. This guy should be made to pay a fine and do some public service or something like that.

The only people who deserve life sentence are the dogmatic USA/EUphiles on this forum who constantly whine about how bad India is. :)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
A Life sentence is way overkill. This guy should be made to pay a fine and do some public service or something like that.

The only people who deserve life sentence are the dogmatic USA/EUphiles on this forum who constantly whine about how bad India is. :)

Is a man not free to have any opinion he wants?

amjath

Human Spambot

I dont find any, except one from Romania

Gollum

Collector
+1 for Amnesty International
[STRIKE]Indians [/STRIKE] people in India don't really have any human rights.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
+1 for Amnesty International
[STRIKE]Indians [/STRIKE] people in India don't really have any human rights.

You should see the people of Saudi Arabia, the most inhumane country in the world.

On topic: We have been taught since the beginning that we are a country of diversity. That means that we are supposed to be tolerant of other people's beliefs and opinions. If we cannot tolerate such minor offenses then the whole "unity in diversity" propaganda is a hypocritical joke.

amjath

Human Spambot
You should see the people of Saudi Arabia, the most inhumane country in the world.

On topic: We have been taught since the beginning that we are a country of diversity. That means that we are supposed to be tolerant of other people's beliefs and opinions. If we cannot tolerate such minor offenses then the whole "unity in diversity" propaganda is a hypocritical joke.

I dont know what made you say that. But I have few points to agree to the statement even though what to know the reason behind the claim

Gollum

Collector

Let forget what other countries have or don't.
We are here and this can affect even us.

amjath

Human Spambot
Let forget what other countries have or don't.
We are here and this can affect even us.

I never came across a situation of national anthem being played in a theatre. We [TN people] get to watch a short movie about "AMMA" [Her acheivements :p] before screening :lol:

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I dont know what made you say that. But I have few points to agree to the statement even though what to know the reason behind the claim

I was replying to Gollum's post regarding the people of India not having human rights. My point was that Saudi Arabia is worse.

But we are still not any better.

mitraark

Decrepit
While agreeing to the opinion that sedition laws are outdated and need to done away with, I do believe there's more to the story than just an arrest for not standing during the anthem. Yes, the arrested person might have been wronged, and the audience and the police authorities might have overreacted , but to be honest I know how journalists portray incidents in the most provoking manner possible to make the news make more noise and spread with the flames. I hope the matter is resolved quickly and no political or religious affiliates take this issue and turn it into a communal thing for their own benefit.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What does it mean when people say "Proud to be Indian?"
Circlejerking.

Or they are going with the flow. If you refuse to say that you are proud to be an Indian, people will call you stuff like Pakistani spy, deshdrohi, etc. It's equivalent to being called a racist. Since no one wants that, people who are not proud would say it as well.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Forgetting religious beliefs, it is pure common sense and decency to behave in a non-irritating manner. If one does not believe in the national anthem then it is alright but to actively catcall during its running shows bad behaviour. The punishment is however unjust considering the seriousness of offense. A compulsory directive of community service would have suited better more so if it was to benefit freedom fighters.

Regarding claims of Atheism I have my reservations because at least as per the quoted report above he is both a Muslim and Atheist. Atheist is one who does not believe in God while a Muslim cannot deny the existence of God. Let alone the numerous self styled fundamentalists who might be out for his blood.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Forgetting religious beliefs, it is pure common sense and decency to behave in a non-irritating manner. If one does not believe in the national anthem then it is alright but to actively catcall during its running shows bad behaviour. The punishment is however unjust considering the seriousness of offense. A compulsory directive of community service would have suited better more so if it was to benefit freedom fighters.

Regarding claims of Atheism I have my reservations because at least as per the quoted report above he is both a Muslim and Atheist. Atheist is one who does not believe in God while a Muslim cannot deny the existence of God. Let alone the numerous self styled fundamentalists who might be out for his blood.

This. As one matures, one realizes that rebellion is not about saying no to everything , but accepting the lunacy that society is and do your own thing. If you keep rebelling against society, you will have no energy left to pursue your own thing. And ironically, dedicating oneself to your art/passion is the highest form of rebellion there is cuz you are fundamentally doing something that society is uncomfortable with ( It expects you only to get a job and breed children)

Top Bottom