KDE VS Gnome..

Which one do you like?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amitava82

MMO Addict
So which one do you prefer and why?

I've been using using gnome since last one year and I love it EXCEPT one silly bug. Nautilus does not truncate long file name there by leaving too much white space between icons and ultimately the desktop or file browser looks really ugly. This bug has been reported more than 4 years ago but no action has been taken. In KDE there is no such problem. It truncate long file name like windows explorer.

thing i don't like in KDE is Single click to open file or folder. Its more convenient to have single click to select item and double click to open it. I don't know if there is any option to change it like gnome...

well thats my opinion.. what about you guys?

praka123

left this forum longback
but this is a flamboyant question :lol: so most prolly MODs may lock this one.
and this KDE vs GNOME,Vi vs emacs,Linux vs Vista wars will not have any end.
so i'll quote some words from gnome forum itself.
*gnomesupport.org/forums/
praka123 wrote:
thanks for pointing me the trick.anyways I end up in arguing with k*e fanboys afterall who wants to admit that ur DE is cr@p! :)

Sargek:
I used to get involved in flame wars about "who's DE is best", but now I don't care at all. I like what I use and tend to ignore people who jump up and down screaming about how mine sucks and theirs is the best.

The part I try to get people to remember is we have a choice, so use whatever makes you happy. We could be stuck with that horrific mess by an unnamed company located somewhere in the northwestern part of the U.S. I pity those poor fools that don't know any better and try to educate them when I can
praka123 wrote:
then its OK I just cant bear the anti-G*OME rants @ some of the forums i visit.

Sargek:
I understand - I hate them too, but ranting back only fuels the fire. Everytime I read something about K*E and how G*K apps should be re-written in Q*, or about how "inadequate" G*ome is, it makes me ill. No big deal, G*ome isn't going away anytime soon!
as what he quotes:
Yes,the BIG(M$?) thing is troubling us.so lets unite all FOSS users,no fighitings! :)

Last edited:
OP
amitava82

amitava82

MMO Addict
Well I didn't start this thread for fight. I just wanted to know which one they like and why? If i get enough good reasons (apart from long file name thing) for KDE then i might give it a try.. No fighting guys... :)

Pathik

Google Bot
KDE..i prefer KDE to GNOME
But i voted for both... Cos i like both

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
just look at the end of the page for few of the locked threads of same title.
btwn the answer is simple=
GNOME means simplicity while KDE stands for Configurability.
It depends upon ur needs.
but being a GNOME user myself,i too think that something somewhere seems wrong with their HIG guidelines :-|
..and without mentioning the crown of discussion reg GNOME vs KDE @
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=514945

Last edited:

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
I like kde for its customizing ability and xfce for its unbelievable lightness and eye candy(eg Dream Linux)
Both kde and gnom are bloated nowadays..

NucleusKore

TheSaint
amitava82 said:
thing i don't like in KDE is Single click to open file or folder. Its more convenient to have single click to select item and double click to open it. I don't know if there is any option to change it like gnome...

My My, all you have to do is go to KDE control centre and go to peripherals in that, then go to mouse and change it there. SImple !

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Gnome....preferable,

KDE is indeed a nice DM,Only disappointing thing is Konqueror which used as Window Explorer by default 3.xx series but this will change after releasing KDE4,
Then I will be a KDE fan.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
i love both. KDE for it's applications and GNOME for it's ruggedness and stability (KDE sometimes crashes, though not too frequently)

praka123

left this forum longback
dissel said:
Gnome....preferable,

KDE is indeed a nice DM,Only disappointing thing is Konqueror which used as Window Explorer by default 3.xx series but this will change after releasing KDE4,
Then I will be a KDE fan.
arguably konqueror may be better than nautilus-but new file manager-
Dolphin-is it's name.I tried it with kde4 opensuse livedvd-is nice somewhere remembering nautilus :)

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ It's a LIVE DVD.... not CD.... I thought they launched that mini suse thing....

But you can create a live CD, I thought he created one or got one somewhere....

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
GNome for its uncluttered looks, KDE for functionality

However KDE 4 is also low on clutter, & finally new icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom