KDE questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_devil

Back!
Recently installed Kubuntu Jaunty [its pretty much the first time i'm using KDE]

I have a few quesitons :

1. Konqueror doesn't support Web 2.0 stuff [out of the box] so i cant get the built in chat on gmail... is there any way i can get it working [any updates/anything]

2. i tried to install FF and so downloaded the tar archive ... when i typed out ./firefox in the terminal to install FF, i got an error message saying :
Code:
./run-mozilla.sh: 442: ./firefox-bin: not found
though the file firefox-bin exists in the same folder...

I assumed there could be a problem with the archive so downloaded it again..but even the 2nd time i got the same error message...

can someone please help me out in getting FF ?

3. since FF didn't work, i downloaded a DEB package of opera ... installed it successfully... but whenever i hit gmail.com the page does not open... all i get is a blank page followed by this message :
Could not connect to remote server

You tried to access the address *www.gmail.com/, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.
Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.

when i type out google.com, that page opens fine but on hitting the gmail link on that page too the same thing happens....

any idea why this happens ?

4. how do i get gtalk to work on Kopete ?

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
sudo apt-get install firefox should work or tyr apt:firefox

To add gtalk add entries to Jabber account.. But for some reasons gtalk doesn't work with kopete it keeps on connecting and end up with error.. every info inserted was right !

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
So you downloaded the tar and extracted it. Is the firefox-bin file set as executable?
Try:
Code:
chmod +x firefox-bin
and try again?

Regarding Opera, try:
Tools->Quick Preferences->Edit Site Preferences and in the network tab set Browser identification as Firefox or IE, and try again. Maybe it'll work?

Rahim

Married!
GTalk works fine in Kopete. Enter talk,google.com in the server.
The chat feature in gmail works fine too in Opera. Try clearing your cache, cookies and history(its a guess).
Firefox is availabie in the Jaunty repo Proof

Setting up a Jabber account

OP
red_devil

red_devil

Back!
firefox is set up nice and fine now..

Opera sometimes wont even open google.com...but i don't think i'll ever need it now with FF all set up.. ;)

and right now i'm on windows 7 [[wanted to play PES 09 ... again :D] so will try out the link for jabber which a_rahim gave and let you guys know...

i have a serious problem with my FF installation in Linux.....

My firefox just recently upgraded itself to the new version (3.0.9 ?) ..... after which i lost all my bookmarks :( .... Apart from that the web browser itself seems to have turned buggy .....

whenever i load a web page , it continuous loading the web page even after the page has been fully loaded (i am sure that was confusing) .... what i mean is that , the browser keeps continuously loading without ever stopping regardless of the page's load status ......

Is this a bug with FF's new update or an isolated case ? .... apart from reinstalltion is there anyway i can rectify this ?

Rahim

Married!
^This is from the Realesed Notes for v 3.0.10
Please note that installing Firefox 3 will overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won’t lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available.
I wonder why you lost your bookmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom