KDE probs queries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Shashwat Pant said:
Thx .. Can you tell me .. how to treat software that come in .tar.gz or .zip pack. I mean I know how to install thru terminal but I want to know the steps to install zip pack :) Also can I install Opera In KDE cause Conquerer sucks big time :x I am fded up with that :x
as far as source packages are considered,u need to manually satisfy the dependencies by installing required "-dev" files via apt.sometimes in the source package they may provide the reqd deps.otherwise u need to compile and see where it errs out.
regarding opera,opera provides .debs which u can install by double click :eek:
(.deb is the setup.exe for debian based distros like ubuntu,mepis etc etc)
here is the link.download and install.
*ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/opera/linux/...d/opera_9.22-20070716.6-shared-qt_en_i386.deb
as i cant afford libqt3 in my system,i use opera-static(for Gnome/gtk users). ;)

int86

You'r Born Free
Yesterday I moved from dapper to feisty.
I installed opera from both ways , downloaded debian package from
www.opera.com and installed through repository.
In both ways a opera icon forms under internet menu. But clicking it I get no application or error message.

praka123

left this forum longback
^sudo opera? :shock:
it is a wrong way!.open the terminal(in menu Applications>Accsries>terminal): type:
Code:
whereis opera
then run as what the path tolds:
for eg: /usr/bin/opera or simply opera will do.
open with "sudo" means ur browsing as root(admin).dont do that remember the "superman" rule. :eek:
Root access "as it should be" can be visualised by those familiar with the Superman stories using the following analogy:

Using a root account is rather like being Superman; an administrator's regular user is more like Clark Kent. Clark Kent becomes Superman for only as long as necessary, in order to save people. He then reverts to his "disguise". Root access should be used in the same fashion. The Clark Kent disguise doesn't really restrict him though, as he is still able to use his super powers. This is analogous to using the sudo program.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_security
What is root user or su or sudo or gksu or kdesu?
read:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_user

while menu can be edited accordingly via alacarte.that will tell later(if needed)

Vivek788

In the zone
hey which music player in kde has similar functions to Winamp?
I am fed up of kaffiene's stupid interface and amarok's inability to import playlists from windows...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
How can you even try to import playlists from Windows .. The FS path is very different in Windows and Linux.

The only good 'Winamp' clone is XMMS.

praka123

left this forum longback
^xmms old gtk app,leave it use beep media player or audacious na!all are winamp lookalike.even if adamant use winamp via wine :rolleyes:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Re: KDE(kubuntu 7.10) probs queries!

Can any one tell me what is the procedure to change the user picture of the Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Login Screen ??

praka123

left this forum longback
in menu find kcontrolcentre.there are few 100's of options left for changing,i hope kdm is used.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I found the procedure as under
1. System settings>about me>Click the user picture to change as desired.
2. System settings>Advance Tab>Login Manager>Administrative mode>user Tab>
User image source(here click user,admin)>user image (select the user)
The job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom