KDE 4+ based distro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Today i'm getting my RMAed HDD back :D

Hoping to install something new, specifically a KDE 4+ distro :)

Please suggest me the best one with decent support. I have 3 in my list Mandriva, OpenSUSE and Fedora.

I will be needing one with large repo, less bugs and latest version of softies.

thanks.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Go for OpenSUSE.. its the best KDE distro out there.. about 18k packages are available for OpenSUSE.. more than Mandriva and Fedora.. the hard ware support is although not as good as Fedora but i assure you that it will get installed and will support your hardware easily... The 1-Click install is also great.. you might wanna checkout www.community-opensuse.org... this will help you a lot incase you go for OpenSUSE...

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
and how much pain it has. :p SUSE installer is alow and I found it bloated..... It never worked for me :p Try Mandriva or upcoming F10 :)

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@Darky.. its not that bloated.. i've been using OpenSUSE since ver. 10.. and it has always worked for me.. Mandriva is great but seriously Fedora sux when it comes to installing softwares.. one has to manually add the Livna repository to the Package Manager..

Rahim

Married!
T159: By this time you must have known whats suits you and you are not a new user at all!!

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^fedora 10 is going to release within few days, should I wait for it ?
I have settled for mandriva for now.

One doubt too, can I have sync for dropbox in KDE ?

Rahim

Married!
I too liked Mandriva but after a couple of updates, my sound always gets cooked whether its The One or any version. One thing i have realised is all the distros are the same, given a few things here and there. Mandriva and openSUSE are quite identical with Mandriva being slightly faster imo.

I think Dropbox is GNOME exclusive :( , i may be wrong.

Last edited:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Personally I feel you should wait for Fedora 10 and then give it a go. I have no qualms against OpenSUSE or Mandriva but I would surely wait.

As for Dropbox, I think it is not GNOME exclusive but Nautilus exclusive, it is like an add-on to Nautilus. So if you can get Nautilus going on KDE then probably you should be able to use it.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yep am waiting for Fedora 10 and nautilus is just an extension.

So anyone here ready to port it to dolphin ? Am ready but need someone to share the pain of development:p

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
I too liked Mandriva but after a couple of updates, my sound always gets cooked whether its The One or any version. One thing i have realised is all the distros are the same, given a few things here and there. Mandriva and openSUSE are quite identical with Mandriva being slightly faster imo.

I think Dropbox is GNOME exclusive :( , i may be wrong.

Try disabling Pulseaudio :) That might fix the problem or set the master channel to PCM )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom