UPDATE:

MY REVIEW OF KDE 4.2:
*thesmallerbang.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/kde-42-the-answer-reviewed/

SCREENSHOT:
*www.kde.org/announcements/4.2/screenshots/desktop_thumb.png

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Is it more stable than 4.1? I certainly hope so. I faced a lot of problems with 4.1. Panel Crashing, slowness,etc.
Unfortunately since I have almost saturated my bandwidth, so I cant download it till the 17th.

Its much much much much more stable than KDE 4.1.
Infact, it was more stable than 4.1 even in its late beta stages :D

Its almost close to KDE3.5.9 and the KDE team says that most laymen users can now safely upgrade to KDE4.2 from KDE 3.5.9 and not miss out on *most* things. Exceptions like KOffice2 and K3B still in beta exist though.

Me too. Kaffeine was the best media player ever, if one didn't need VLC's server capabilities.

K3B has NO alternative in the linux world. Its almost like GOD of burning.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Kooka was dropped from the kdegraphics module for KDE 4. The reason for this is the lack of active development and maintenance for long time.
However, there have been discussions around that, for example around this dot.kde.org story.

It was somebody speaking up interested in carrying on Kooka development. If you are a friend of Kooka, cross fingers, might be that development continues.

If you are willing to help, please drop a note! The libkscan remains in the kdegraphics module. That means that scanning will be available for KDE 4 for these applications that use the libkscan.

Check out how that works in the API documentation for the KScanDialog class on api.kde.org. The KScanDialog is part of the KIO subsection of the libs.
+

I never used kooka,, Xsane works fine for me :) But I think someone should work on kooka :(

This is what I found: (though I think it's beta version of 4.2)
*adymo.blogspot.com/2009/01/kde4-review-from-inside-out-part-1.html

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Its almost close to KDE3.5.9 and the KDE team says that most laymen users can now safely upgrade to KDE4.2 from KDE 3.5.9 and not miss out on *most* things. Exceptions like KOffice2 and K3B still in beta exist though.
I wouldn't say that.Downloaded KDEmod 4.2 yesterday.Dolphin has crashed twice on me till now.GTK apps look fugly.No K3b, no Amarok available.You still have to use kdesu systemsettings to edit certain things in System Settings [Administrator mode in 3.5.xx was great] to So, still quite a way to go before it matches 3.5.xx
On a good note, It's seems more responsive than even my XFCE installation while running certain apps.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Huh.. Amarok is available .. 2.0.1.1 .... ALso there might be issue with KDE compilation by Arch team.. Better use openSUSE or Fedora Live cd:)

KDEmod4.2 "The Answer" gets 9/10 - SUPERB.

I am posting right now from KDEmod4.2 in ArchLinux. KDEbase already had an update.

Anyway, KDE 4.2 is simply AWESOME.

Its still somewhat slow on 256MB RAM.

But the visual effects, plasmoids, menus and the whole interface - its simply fabulous. I have never seen a better Desktop Environment in my life, and this beats MacOS 10.5, Windows 7 and Gnome 2.4 hands down. Its ULTIMATE.

And now I am 99.99999% sure that Windows 7 superbar is nothing but an imitation of KDE4's Plasma Panel.

KWin-compositor is much lighter on resources than Compiz Fusion. I suppose this makes it the lightest composite window manager ever next to Xfce4.4-composite.

Konqueror has a spell checker which has a small issue - it checks spelling as I type each letter, and not as I type each word. So for example, when I just typed example, it underlined the word when I had finished typing "exa". But I can live with it.

KDE4.2 is much much more responsive compared to KDE4.1. Hats off to the KDE team.

And yeah, I am still sticking to Xfce4.4 because I have less RAM, however, when I get an upgrade, I am coming back to KDE4. And hopefully, KDE4.3 will be out by the time my new rig arrives, around June-July. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom