KDE 4.2 "The Answer" Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks. never written anything bigger in the 60 seconds I got while the thing was lagging like sh!t.

00:00 - me starts comp
00:20 - login menu
00:21 - startx
05:00 - KDE starts
08:00 - KDE stops lagging and konqueror opens
09:00 - I am replying
10:00 - enough of this madness
13:00 - the comp is finally off.

but thats a gazillion times better than KDE4.1 I must add. ;)

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Wow.. i think that i need to rethink my decision of no KDE on OpenSUSE 11.1.. i need to download it now.. waise.. KDE guys ruined AmaroK 2.. it doesn't have the powerful capabilites of the previous 1.x version.. like it doesn't has that equalizer thing and the Wikipedia's info font is aweful..

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^wait for 2.1 version.. It will have revamped UI and nearly as powerful as 1.4.9 :)

Look at these brainstorm. .Looks fantastic for a complete ultimate media player *kde-look.org/content/show.php/A+Media+Player+for+KDE4?content=94472 | *kde-look.org/content/show.php/Amarok2+Look+and+Feel?content=93854 | *kde-look.org/content/show.php/Analog+DVB+TV+Recorder+for+KDE4?content=94534

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Except for a few glitches attributed to the continual development, it kicks capitol arse! Period. Miles ahead of every desktop in every OS in today's world. 4.2 is the real 4.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
This makes me very excited for next OpenSUSE KDE4. :)

BTW Would Kubuntu 9.04 come with KDE 4.2? I would hope so.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes, the next Kubuntu (Jaunty) will come with 4.2.0 :)

Official announcement is at their website. For now its in the kubuntu-experimental PPA to try.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Is it really THAT good or we, linux users, are being too biased here?
Best thing would to try it out and see for yourself whether you like it or no.If you want a platform as stable as KDE 3.5.9, with all the awesome KDE apps at their stable best [Amarok, K3b, Konqueror etc.], this version *may* not be for you.I say this because I installed Amarok 2 on my Arch box and it crashes right after the splash screen.Posting on Amarok forums, I was told to install debug packages to generate a backtrace.The debug packages are way too huge for me to download.So, I can effectively bid farewell to this version of amarok.Am using Exaile instead.

Rahim

Married!
^After 17th, right? Poor Anurag :D Rag koro naa!!
The default interface is mind blowing. I am definitely booked this sunday over KDE 4.2

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
this is not "the answer" for me. kde 4.1 was better although with less features. plasma crashes for no worthy reasons, even when knotify shows a notification!!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
this is not "the answer" for me. kde 4.1 was better although with less features. plasma crashes for no worthy reasons, even when knotify shows a notification!!!
Try clearing ~/.kde/ and/or ~/.kde4/

Not good solutions, but cheap and easy.

^^Yeah. Delete any folder associated with KDE in your home folder after enabling hidden files view.

I too had the same issue. You need to then recustomize KDE4.2. But I doubt it would take a lot of time.

Rahim

Married!
Upgraded to KDE 4.2 in OpenSUSE 11.1 but my system tray's icons like kinternet, klipper, volume, etc are invisible, only rectangular blocks :(
Sorry dont know how to post thumbnails

Image Below
*i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/rahimveron/taskbar1.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom