Justify my 29"CRT TV over 32"LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
After visiting quite many showrooms & seeing 6 brands of lcd I am of an opinion that buying a CRT 10-15000/- is a better option & this is based upon the following facts related to HDTV.

Read this post which confirms my finding
Don’t Buy Hdtv Before U Read This

1. LCDs outer looks good, but the image quality is bad bcoz there is no HDTV transmission for another 2yrs & Indian transmission is 4:3 which gets stretched to 16:9 to make matter worse. DD will do its 2010 commonwealth games transmission in full HD. I could not find much movies DVD in HD yet.

2. when full HD transmission becomes available by then we will have far better technology so its better to wait 1-2 yrs.

3. buying a 32 inch for full HD for 45K today is going to get us 42inch in the same price next year or even lesser or larger size. Cost have been dropping all the time & bigger sizes are becoming more affordable.

4. buying a 29" crt the old series of Philips or Sony (100Hz flicker free) is better, less price for a far better quality image in present transmission & you get the best of deals in 2yrs from now for larger sizes & more feature packed full HDTVs.

5. full HDTV is what you need to make best use of LCDs & that is not available yet so buy when you actually can use it at its optimum level.

Hence please suggest me 29" CRT (I could not find the flicker free 100Hz models)
Sony will be out of budget so Samsung LG & Philips are on my radar, how about Toshiba & Panasonic CRTs?

There are many thing which I dont understand such as ,S-video/composite/hdmi etc. What features should I be looking for since I am buying a Tv after 12 yrs & I will later be attaching a Full HD dvd player with some good 5.1 speaker setup. I may opt for slim line CRT from samsung or ultra slim CRT.

Any downside of having slim CRts?

Last edited:
Totally valid points. But it was my dad's insistance that we save some space due to which I was forced to select a 29" LCD. I am not at all happy with it. :(

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
also CRT TV is easy to repair compared to LCD.....i have 29" Slim Samsung CRT......Clarity is good...........no prob sine a year.......

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
CRTs no are bad. They are old, big & bulky. Instead of a LCD TV, It is better to buy a PC LCD Monitor with Tata Sky or other DTH Services & a simple Rs 2000 External TV Box which will make your LCD a TV

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Finally bought Samsung 2233 LCD monitor (Rs 10600/-) which is Full HD in 22 inch, along with Techcom external TV tuner Model SSD 723. (Rs 1350/-)

The 4.3 signal from TATA sky gets adjusted to 16:9 ratio looks bit stretched but the image quality is perfect since this monitor is full HD it gives good reception, on the other hand cable TV signal is too bad & looks awfully bad.

Now I need to look for 5.1 speaker setup.

amitava82

MMO Addict
lol I bought the same LCD couple of days back for Rs. 10,070/-. Me too looking for a TV tuner. Are you using that TV tuner with Windows? Or it can be used directly with LCD without PC?

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
The dealer told me that it was priced at 10000/- few days ago but not now.
I bought external tuner (no recording) which directly plays the tatasky without computer & audio is connected via tuner to external 5.1 speakers (older set). I need to buy new 5.1 speakers for this now.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Thanks! So, when you want to use your PC, you just turn it on or you have to switch cable? I saw one that required switching cable from receiver to CPU.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I have 2 comp & 2 TV in house now so I am just testing things rather than buying things all at once. As of now I have to physically remove the vga cable from tuner & plug into the cpu, but I saw a KVM switch which can take 4VGA inputs & 1 VGA output to monitor.
*www.cablesnmor.com/ProductImages/x884828.jpg

This is the one i saw & its quite big
*cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120364997533&indexURL=

other sources are also there such as this one.
*www.lindy.co.uk/kvm/

I need to buy that but just waiting to settle down, I actually don't need 4 ports so looking for 2 port switch then I would not need to remove the cables. The cost was 550/- of the switch

Last edited:

Gowt1ham

Gowt1ham
Another very important reason why anyone should consider going for 32" LCD

29" CRT might kill u if it falls on u.
whereas u can escape with minor injuries if 32" decides to fall on u.:))

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Well I wont hang 29" on the wall for sure, I have a steady & heavy table for it, nevertheless suggestion well taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom