just a bit of help required here .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running openSolaris and trying to learn to use linux presently
the screen resolution is limited to 1024x800 I came across this post which showed me how to go about increasing it.
*blogs.sun.com/paulkasper/entry/customizing_opensolaris_screen_resolution_running
it asks me to edit the xorg.conf file.

well when I try to do this I am prompted with an error complaining I do not have the permission to edit such files
so how do I go about it.

I tried the su root command and then tried to edit the file then even it displayed the same error.

I came across this in the solaris documentation which enables me to login as root, in their words "makes root a user account rather than behaviour"
*dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/IPS/login.html
but I would not like to try this untill and unless I have a method of reverting it back...
and I am not sure whether I will be able to edit the file even after logging in as root.

one last query
As I am running linux in virtualBox on XP I wanted to share some folders
google reached me here after the search and now I am not able to go ahed...
*blogs.sun.com/tao/entry/virtual_box_shared_folder_between

I mean this method not quite worked for me...

It took me 2 hours first of all that for using sudo I had to firstly issue command "su root"
so you can well imagine how pathetic I am with linux presently... help me out guys...

B

bashphoenux

I am running openSolaris and trying to learn to use linux presently
the screen resolution is limited to 1024x800 I came across this post which showed me how to go about increasing it.
*blogs.sun.com/paulkasper/entry/customizing_opensolaris_screen_resolution_running
it asks me to edit the xorg.conf file.

well when I try to do this I am prompted with an error complaining I do not have the permission to edit such files
so how do I go about it.

I tried the su root command and then tried to edit the file then even it displayed the same error.

I came across this in the solaris documentation which enables me to login as root, in their words "makes root a user account rather than behaviour"
*dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/IPS/login.html
but I would not like to try this untill and unless I have a method of reverting it back...
and I am not sure whether I will be able to edit the file even after logging in as root.

one last query
As I am running linux in virtualBox on XP I wanted to share some folders
google reached me here after the search and now I am not able to go ahed...
*blogs.sun.com/tao/entry/virtual_box_shared_folder_between

I mean this method not quite worked for me...

It took me 2 hours first of all that for using sudo I had to firstly issue command "su root"
so you can well imagine how pathetic I am with linux presently... help me out guys...
well if you are afraid of screwing up the file then make a backup of it using
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup ..
so if in case you think you screwed up then you can overwirte the edied file using the same above command as
cp xorg.conf.backup xorg.conf
and since i told you to add the reoslution in the xorg.conf
open xorg.conf using vim or nano
and in the display subsection you it should be like this
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom