Is This The Right Time To Upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
6800 WAS one of the best cards out there, but obviously 3 year old technology can't compete with the latest card out there.
Whenever nVidia releases it even the slowest card in the Geforce 8 series will compete with the 6800. That's just how fast things get outdated.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Well, I guess so too, the 7600GT will be better than the 6800GT, but maybe not 6800U

*forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=110162

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@caleb
Yes defenitely. I own the very same mobo. If u run dat in dual channel, u get effective speed of 667mhz[actually its 333.5]. But both of the stick should be identical.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Gentlemen, I think I'll be sticking to the config given by aravind...as I'll be able to save on memory & HDD.

So here is my SEMI-final decision:
AMD ATHLON X2 3800 (approx Rs.8000)
ASUS A8NE (approx Rs.5500)
Forca 7600GS (Rs.6500)

I'll be using my following old:
120gb + 40gb IDE ATA HDD(s)
1gb DDR 333mhz memory (512x2)
300W power supply-will that be sufficient
Pinnacle 50i TV Tuner
LG Dual layer DVD writer
17' CRT monitor

I think that'll just about fit in my Rs.20000 budget, when I can allocate more money in future I'll updgarde to DDR2 ram & SATA HDD.

..but before I go shopping at Lamington road, mumbai could ALL of you PLEASE have a look at my post "Intel is cuts 9500 jobs is that good news for me" in "NEWS">"TECHNOLOGY NEWS" in this forum and possibly reply...based on your facts, suggestions, arguments & views I'll make my FINAL decision.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Stalker

Padawan
@caleb
well, i think its a gud buy 4 that budget.
r u sure u don't want to wait 4 Dx10 cards?? i'm still hanging on to my 3 yr old
1.6 Ghz p4, 256 SDRAM, 128 mb FX5200...........will upgrade after vista is out.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
caleb said:
I think that'll just about fit in my Rs.20000 budget, when I can allocate more money in future I'll updgarde to DDR2 ram & SATA HDD.
Unfortunately, you can't use DDR2 in that mobo. Currently AMD supports DDR2 in AM2 platforms only. But even a DDR333 in dual channel could do a nice job. AMD is always better than Intel platforms in Memory bussiness and a good DDR400 at gud latency can easily beat an Intel with DDR667. So I recomment dun go for DDR2 nd all. Just exchange the old mem with 2x1GB good DDR mem with gud latencies.

Also I would say u also invest for a SATA2 HDD nd is available at very affordable prices now a days like 250GB Sata2 for sub 4k.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Stalker said:
@caleb
well, i think its a gud buy 4 that budget.
r u sure u don't want to wait 4 Dx10 cards?? i'm still hanging on to my 3 yr old
1.6 Ghz p4, 256 SDRAM, 128 mb FX5200...........will upgrade after vista is out.
As much as I'd like to wait & upgrade to a DirectX10 card...I somehow feel that they may not be affordable enough for atleast a year after their release, which if I'm not wrong is sometime in 2008 i.e. by the time they are affordable...do you think that they'll be affordable enough i.e. sub Rs.8000 in the first half of 2007 itself?...what does everyone feel about the time frame for a affordable DirectX10 card?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
If the budget by that time is also sub 8k then u could buy only the 8 series entry level card. maybe somethin like 8200 or 8300[if nvidia follows usual naming prctice] which could just manage to play those games at some 800*600 or 1024*768 @med or low quality. But then theres again a good point that GF7 cards bould be much cheaper that days like some 7900GS for sub 10k maybe.
The GF8 cards may ship with DDR4 mems with over 2Ghz mem, so DDR3 will be cheaper.

Stalker

Padawan
@caleb
if u wait 4 DX 10 cards, by the time they are released,u may be able to increase ur budget & get a decent DX 10 card
Also like aravind_n20 said, by that time, the GF 7 prices will drop

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1)Only you can answer that. Had I had that configuration, I would have upgraded long back.

2)Definitely not. I wouldn't buy D805 personally unless I had an extremely small budget, then I might have. But I would never go from 1gb to 512mb RAM.

3)I wouldn't recommend you to use any of your current hardware maybe except your HDDs especially if they are SATA and perform fully well, and your pinnacle as well. However I recommend you to change your HDDs as well as it will barely take around Rs.1500 - 2000 only.

4)After selling your current PC parts, you should have 30k+ to build your PC. In this budget you can't get a gaming PC but I will try to come as close as possible.

5)Don't wait for Dx10 unless you will upgrade only after another 2.5-3yrs or more after this.

6)Please don't get confused if somebody refers to a card as Geforce 4 series. Geforce 4 MX 440 and all were mainstream while Ti was highend. You just can't compare, it is like comparing a 4k card with a 25k card!

7)For latest games of today, anything less than a geforce 6600 is practically crap in games like GRAW and Oblivion, this too for low settings. A geforce 6200 is the bare bare minimum if you want to play the most intensive of todays games at lowest possible settings.

8)Don't expect geforce 7 to do miracales, within another 6-9 months you will find the geforce 7600GT playing some games at 800*600 low to med for best performance. Anything below a 7600GT isn't that good in the geforce 7 series, geforce 7600GS is only a little better than the 6600GT which is a very very weak card now. The only card that comes after the 7600GT is 7300GT GDDR3 which you may not even find in India.

9)The closest performer to 6800GT from geforce 7 series is geforce 7600GT which is definetely better. If a card which was high end in 2004 mid has now come down to a level when it can't play games at max settings even at 10X7, what to talk of current mainstream and low end cards. 6800GT will end up playing games like GRAW at 10X7 Med at the very most, and maybe a little better for oblivion.

10)No onboard video can play the most intensive games at medium settings and I doubt whether it would do well even for low to med. Please mention the games and FPS and rest of the hardware as well.

11)Core 2 Duo is not in your budget if you want to game.

12)All newer cards are not going to be better than older ones. Usually the upper mainstream of the newer gen replaces the king of the previous gen normally and the low end of the newer ones replace the previous lower mainstreams. However keep in mind that initially low end card may be as expensive as 7-8k or more. Geforce 6800 > 7300GS and all that crap and it should compete a 7600GS and may beat it once unlocked. At stock 6600GT should at the moment usually come close.

Now let us design your PC. First let us decide the components which will be constant throughout and can't change.

HDD: Seagate SATA II NCQ 160GB - Rs.3000

Cabinet: Generic ATX cabinet with enough room and ventilation - Rs.1000 +-

PSU: Cooler Master 430 watts - Rs.2000 hopefully
Total - Rs.6000 approx

I expect that you are retaining all DVD RW, Combo and even FDD drives.

Now, all other components are not fixed except the GPU if you plan to do mainly gaming.

Case 1
AMD 64 3200 Venice s939 - Rs.4000+
Foxconn nforce 4 without onboard video, hopefully you might do 2.3GHz, but check the reviews first - Rs.2000+
2 X 512MB DDR 400 Transcend - Rs.4500+
Total - Rs.11000 approx

So, you have about Rs.17000 for all your components except your GPU. This means about Rs.13000 for the GPU. Now you can either, spend about another 1-2k to get 7900GS or you can get X1800GTO and spend the remaining 1-2k else where.
OR
You can get a 7600GT and in the rest 3k get Asus A8N E instead of the Foxconn by adding another Rs.500.

Case 2
AMD 64 3200 AM2 - Rs.4000+
Asus M2N E, please check its overclockability, and compatibilty, stability etc, also keep in mind it has issues so get them checked first. - Rs.5500
2 X 512MB DDR2 667 Transcend/Corsair Value(if supported, please check mobo-RAM compatibility for any system before buying) - Rs.4000-4500
GPU: 7600GT - Rs.10000 +-

Case 3
Intel Core 2 Duo - E6300/6400 (9k/10.5k)
965 based motherboard in the range of 6-8k which are overclockable and good, check among Gigabyte, MSI and Asus preferably. Consider 965 DS3 Gigabyte and MSI Neo F 965(FSB limit at 333)
RAM - same as suggested above
GPU - Geforce 7600GT, this won't be as good a system at the moment for gaming, however it will be much better for general purposes and will be more future proof and you can upgrade your GPU few months down the line as prices decrease.

Case 4
Replace the AMD 64 3200 with X2 3600(256kb X 2 L2 cache) - 7k or X2 3800 (512 X 2 L2 cache) - 8.5k

Last edited:
OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Wow...that's a lot of info to take in akshay...but I appreciate it very much. Anyway I made a dry run today to Lamington Road, Mumbai, asking each vendor for the following:
ASUS A8NE or Intel 945GNTL
AMD Athlon X2 3800 or Intel D805
GeForce 7600GT

Every dealer in Lamington road does have ASUS A8NE (this looks like a VERY popular card).
But NO ONE has AMD Athlon X2 3800 processor or Intel D805 processor or 945 GNTL mobo (I visited 20 different vendors), for some reason almost every vendor was trying to get me to buy Athlon 3200
Only one vendor said that he could get 7600GT if I could wait for 5 hours.
But to my surprise I found an AGP version of 7300GT DDR3

At the end of it I was so fed up that I was ALMOST tempted to buy the XFX GeForce 7600GT DDR3...but all the advise & suggestions from all of you held me back, and guess what, now I'm planning on upgrading when the DirectX 10 & Vista comes in (akshay had a point i.e. sell my current PC or parts, say for about 10k???, plus save up some more money, say another 10k, and then upgrade...that'll give me Rs.40000:
My curent budget Rs.20000+10000??from selling my current PC+another Rs.10000

What do you folks think?...you think Rs.40000 will get me a decent mid range gaming PC in 2007 i.e. after Vista & DirectX10 come in???

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1)A year down the line that hardware won't sell for as much, anyway your future savings will balance that out.

2)By 2007 end you will get what you are looking for. But the thing is that it is better to upgrade today, sell tomorrow and upgrade again after a yr. You won't get a decent mid range PC ever in 40k, but a lower mainstream PC with a mainstream/upper mainstream GPU.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Gentlemen,
One of my friends is having a distress sale for the following box packed items (all new never used, including the OS), so i want to ask you folks if this is a good buy:
Processor: Intel D805
Mobo: Intel D101Ggc
HDD: Samsung 120Gb SATA
Memory: 1Gb (512x2) Ram 400Mhz DDR (manufacturer is DYNET)
Graphics card: XFX GeForce 7300LE 256mb (can support upto 512mb when the sys memory is 1Gb)
PSU: Power Safe 400 Watts
Pls respond ASAP...Thanks in advance

Last edited:
OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Stalker said:
^^wats the price 4 that??
Ooops forgot to put in the main thing: it's for Rs.19000/-
Well here is the whole thing again:
Gentlemen,
One of my friends is having a distress sale for the following box packed items (all new never used, including the OS), so i want to ask you folks if this is a good buy for Rs.19000/-:
Processor: Intel D805
Mobo: Intel D101Ggc
HDD: Samsung 120Gb SATA
Memory: 1Gb (512x2) Ram 400Mhz DDR (manufacturer is DYNET)
Graphics card: XFX GeForce 7300LE 256mb (can support upto 512mb when the sys memory is 1Gb)
PSU: Power Safe 400 Watts
Pls respond ASAP...Thanks in advance

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
No it is not a good buy. Don't get that CPU, I am unsure of the mobo as well. Don't need to get that HDD either. Everything is crap.

Do onething. Please give a final budget, requirement and usage. I will tell you what to do. Which city are you from?

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
akshayt said:
No it is not a good buy. Don't get that CPU, I am unsure of the mobo as well. Don't need to get that HDD either. Everything is crap.

Do onething. Please give a final budget, requirement and usage. I will tell you what to do. Which city are you from?
Currently my budget is only Rs.20000/- (around 6 months down the line it'll be around 30k) I'm from Mumbai

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I think u can do it with ur current PC for that long. Get more mem to last that long. Intel's gonna launch quad core. Who knows u can even get some quad core or even more for that price after 6 months.:p

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
you have 30k today after selling old components. actually it is much better to spend 40k 6months down the line

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
QwertyManiac said:
Well, I guess so too, the 7600GT will be better than the 6800GT, but maybe not 6800U
]

yup.. its rite... 7600GT with its 12 pixel pipelines beats 6800GT with 16 pixel pipelines hands down due to much better core architecture and dX9.0c features support !!! Tested that fact myself and was extremely disappointed .... but 6800 Ultra is still unbeatable by 7600 GT becoz of its xtreme clock speeds[:)]

and my query is abt. AGP cards.... thr is only 7800 GS 256 MB AGP card retailing for abt. 300 USD... and I can't find ne other AGP card of 7x series.. IS it advisable to upgrade to a 7800 GS rite now or wait for the DX 10 cards to release so that I may need a complete system overhaul to welcome PCI-E architecture [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom