Hi everyone
My sys spec is
Intel P4 630 3.00Ghz,
Intel 915 GAVL M.B,
512 mb ram,
80 gb HDD,

McAfee anti virus,
Ms anti Spyware.

My System takes 1.08 mts to startup, is it a normal speed?
How can i improve it?

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
Run msconfig and remove those things which are not important for startup such as Msn,winzip it will improve the speed.Also remove McAfee and any anti-spyware from the startup and run it manually after the window starts.

thadeus

Broken In
You did not tell us what OS you are using. Given your system configuration, I assume that it is XP (which is supposed to boot faster).

Please tell us what are the software you have installed. The more software you install, more services start with windows, the registry gets more bloated, and windows gets slower.

Also check if you have all the latest drivers installed and if your hard drive's UDMA has been enabled for optimum performance.

You can try MSCONFIG from the Start-Run option to check and control what services are starting with windows.

OP
vasulic

vasulic

Journeyman
I dont have any thing, other than anti virus and spy in my startup.
Is the speed normal or my sys is slow?

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
vasulic said:
I dont have any thing, other than anti virus and spy in my startup.
Is the speed normal or my sys is slow?
Yes your system is slow bcoz of Mcafee and anti-spyware bcoz they starts when the windows starts.So remove them from the startup and see the difference in speed.

Stalker

Padawan
disable the services that u do not use in services.msc
try disabling all special effects in XP.....also try running XP in 16-bit colour mode
use msconfig to disable any unwanted programs from running at startup

if u have 512 RAM....XP should be pretty smooth. u must have installed lots of software.....try using regclean or something like that
generally XP takes 35-55 secs to startup....XP with SP2 takes longer

Third Eye

gooby pls
Uncheck unwanted programmes from Startup.
For this click run and type in "msconfig" and click startup,now you can uncheck the unwanted programmes.

OP
vasulic

vasulic

Journeyman
I have xp pro with sp 2 as my Os
I have TClockEx,winzip,winamp,Jetaudio,Real player,Windows media,VLS Player,MusicMatch,Quick time,winrar,power dvd,Creative media source,Canon Zoombrowser Ex,IE,Firefox,opera,Msn & Yahoo messanger,Google talk,skype,Google earth,picasa2,Nero,adobe reader 7,mS Encarta, britannica encyclo,Few games and some small softwares

Venom

Journeyman
The time's too much, mine boots up in 7 secs after I followed this:

*qwertymaniac.wordpress.com/2006/03/22/disabling-useless-services-and-sppeding-up-your-computer/

But ofcourse, if its your antivirus acting up, it'll still be slow.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You are talking about Windows or Mac? Even my Mac OS X Tiger takes about nine seconds to boot up on my MacBook Pro. :eek:

crazy_sumi

Broken In
Well, you can try using msconfig. But an even more powerful tool is CCleaner a.k.a crap cleaner. It is a great tool to clean stuff at startup and lots of other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.