is this a virus infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronweasley

Broken In
hi,

im using a windows xp pc with avg free a/v, and zonelarm free firewall, and all windows updates installed as of now

my problem is......whenever i insert my flashdrive into my pc....2 files get created.....:
autorun.inf with the following code

[Autorun]
open=MicrosoftPowerPoint.exe
shellexecute=MicrosoftPowerPoint.exe
shell\Auto\command=MicrosoftPowerPoint.exe

and a program called "MicrosoftPowerPoint" which has the icon of a folder...

this is happening even after formating and reinserting the flashdrive....

the problem started after a friend of mine borrowed my flashdrive and returned it...after which i found the above two files and some more......a file called "Funny scandal.avi"...which i found was an application..............after de;eting all those....the above mentioned problem keeps occuring.....

is this a virus attack.......?????

thanks,
ronweasley

PS: avg antivirus never detected anything on the drive....but it indicated that the shell32.dll file (in the c:\windows\system32 directory) was changed

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
ronweasley said:
hi,

[Autorun]
open=MicrosoftPowerPoint.exe
shellexecute=MicrosoftPowerPoint.exe
shell\Auto\command=MicrosoftPowerPoint.exe
Just delete that file which has that code & it will be fine,

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
ronweasley said:
yeah..i tried that....but that file, and even the other one keeps getting created again......

Then in folder options UN-check "do not show hidden files" so now u can see all the hidden files & then scan visually in the flash drive you will find some file named MicrosoftPowerPoint.exe delete that too.

That should solve it.

OP
R

ronweasley

Broken In
yes....tried that too.......in fact..i deleted the files and reinserted the drive...same
next i formatted the drive.....same thing...
the point is...is this a virus? thanx

OP
R

ronweasley

Broken In
still nothing happened........
downloaded Ad-Aware 2007......full sys scan.....found W32.Hacktool.Winspy > ad-aware's unable to remove the infection nor quarantine..........what next?

a_tif

Journeyman
powerpoint.exe virus affects pen drives

in my college it keeps roaming on all pc's :mad:

use nod32 or kapersky to remove it

if it comes again into ur pen drive , then it is in ur pc, scan ur pc

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Use some live cd of linux n then find this powerpoint.exe........ most of my pals had the same problem n it was sorted out by using slax......... try using avast free home edition.... it manages to keep my pc virus free

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
hey if its verion 1 of virus then i think many anti viruses fix it
since its ms powerpointer thing .. just use a anit virus
avast does .. easily

or google search orkut is banned virus or such

i don't think the newer verison of it is out and wide spread... its my stupid senior who wrote that virus
and thus inspired us for version 2 ;) (already out in our college networks)

OP
R

ronweasley

Broken In
codename_romeo said:
Use some live cd of linux n then find this powerpoint.exe........ most of my pals had the same problem n it was sorted out by using slax......... try using avast free home edition.... it manages to keep my pc virus free

yup...that thing worked...............thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom