Is there any way to hide entire hard-disk partitions???

Status
Not open for further replies.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Yes .. You can use TweakUi for that .. In TweakUi > My Computer > Drives >
Whichever drive you'll unselect wont be visible in My Computer but you can access it using Run > E: {Press Enter} or Explorer address bar ..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
You can also remove the drive letter which will make the hard disk totally hidden. This is
Goto
computer managment > Disk Managment > right click on the drive you want to hide > Change Drive Leter and path > remove > yes..

This will make the drive totally inaccessable. to enable it again do the same but this time just add a new drive letter than removing it.

Bandu

Journeyman
Thanks. This info will probably help me too.

I have some questions though.

(1) Using TwekUI it seems that the drive will be accessible from Run > E: or Explorer address bar, which means that even a software can use the drive to access files, right? (Probably yes).

(2) Is it possible somehow (in Windows XP Pro) to make a drive completely hidden for a XP user - meaning the user cannot access it even using Run > E: or address bar. Neither can any software running under the user profile can access it.

(3) Is it possible (in Windows XP Pro again) to make a device completely unavailable for a XP user and any software running under that user profile (like a Web Cam). But the same device should be able to work under another user profile (Admin). Is this possible somehow? (Using Hardware profiles - may be)

Thanks in advance.

- Bandu.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
1) Using TwekUI it seems that the drive will be accessible from Run > E: or Explorer address bar, which means that even a software can use the drive to access files, right? (Probably yes).
Yes, the icon is just hidden from my computer, thats all. So typing E: in run box gives you entire access.
(2) Is it possible somehow (in Windows XP Pro) to make a drive completely hidden for a XP user - meaning the user cannot access it even using Run > E: or address bar. Neither can any software running under the user profile can access it.
Remove the drive letter using Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management. Restart.
(3) Is it possible (in Windows XP Pro again) to make a device completely unavailable for a XP user and any software running under that user profile (like a Web Cam). But the same device should be able to work under another user profile (Admin). Is this possible somehow? (Using Hardware profiles - may be)
The only thing I can think of is to disable the webcam under device manager, and then give the users limited accounts where they cannot enable it again. When you login to your admin acct, you can enable and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom