is there any chances that my hard disk fail?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
here i am attaching screen shot of my hard disk.It shows caution has to be taken.
1:Can I rectify the errors?
2:If yes, how?
3:Is the problem any serious?
Untitled.jpg
help me

Last edited:
Help! Current pending sector count warning - Western Digital Community

According to this link, its happening because the HDD's firmware is thinking there is still usable data in those sectors and is hesitating to overwrite it.
You can do one thing:
Open command prompt with admin rights and wtype chkdsk follewed by the partition lable.

OP
rijinpk1

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Help! Current pending sector count warning - Western Digital Community

According to this link, its happening because the HDD's firmware is thinking there is still usable data in those sectors and is hesitating to overwrite it.
You can do one thing:
Open command prompt with admin rights and wtype chkdsk follewed by the partition lable.

thanks for the reply.chkdsk showed 0 bad sectors.

If your HDD is under warranty, then RMA it.

it is almost 5 year old:-(.
Now the problem seems to be gone. I clicked on "caution" and set everything to 0. Now it shows "good". Is there any problem in doing so?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it should be fine if there was only 1 current pending sector.just make sure that this value does not increase(check once a day) & if it doesn't then your hdd is fine.

OP
rijinpk1

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
it should be fine if there was only 1 current pending sector.just make sure that this value does not increase(check once a day) & if it doesn't then your hdd is fine.
thanks for the tip. i will check it every day.
ONE doubt to all.
I just checked the warranty on wd website. I was just amazed that my hard disk was having a warranty of 5 years. It was a wd blue one.My warranty is up to june 18th 2013.Can i request an rma if it shows just 1 bad sectors and 1 current pending sector count.hdd's todays screen shot is given below
Untitled2.jpg
please help

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am not sure if they rma for just 1 bad sector.it should be at least 10 in my opinion.copy paste some data into the hdd regularly & check these values for next couple of days/a week.if it remains 1 then your hdd should be fine.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
it is almost 5 year old:-(.
Now the problem seems to be gone. I clicked on "caution" and set everything to 0. Now it shows "good". Is there any problem in doing so?

Wired, then it may bot be as series problem as I've thought of.

Check the current pending sector count frequently. If it gradually increases, then there IS problem.

Top Bottom