Is there a Correct method /way of using an ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
What are ur thought on this guys? I didn't got a clear answer from anyone, so plz a descent answer would be nice. I know it is a kind of weird query. :?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Yes dude, there's a particular way of using ur UPS to increase its long life and to protect ur PC from power surges from any abstract power voltage.

Steps to follow and to keep in mind:-
1.)When u switch OFF ur UPS,please do not again switch it ON all of a sudden, wait for 5-6 seconds before doin so(and vice versa) coz this will prevent any strain on the UPS battery and increase its long life.

2.)Once in a month or say 15 days,turn OFF ur UPS for half an hour and then turn it ON to recharge the batery.By doin so,the battery will always be in a good condition and will be in a state of CHARGE as well as DISCHARGE and the power failures will be prevented most efficiently by ur UPS.

3.)DO not overload the UPS other than its recommended rating i.e avoid connecting ur Printer/scanners and telephone cables to ur UPS otherthan the PC wire if the UPS rating doesnt supports it,Coz the bottom line is to prevent ur PC and its components from failure(wich is a high priority) otherthan ur Printers/scanners etc.

4.)Always check for loose connections and keep the UPS well ventilated (by keeping normal surrounding air to flow into the device).Do not stack books,modem or any other devices or components on top of ur UPS device.

these r sum points wich u can follow to make ur UPS in an ever running condition....

(if i hv mentioned sumthing wrong or inaccurate in this reply,PLZ guys feel free to correct me by "quoting" my mistakes in ur replies) :p:)

thanx,
cheers n peace....

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Also, if the voltage fluctuates violently for more than 2-3 times, then switch of the UPS immediately and turn it back on only when the fluctuations have stopped.

My UPS got blown twice due to the above problem. :(

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
thank you ashu888ashu888 for ur detailed reply. But one more question, do I keep the ups on if I am not using the pc or switch it off but keep the switch at the main socket on. Also when my room's ac's compressor turn on or off the ups goes into backup mode, simultaneously, and then work normally during the rest period. Any idea why it happens.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
john_the_ultimate wrote:
thank you ashu888ashu888 for ur detailed reply. But one more question, do I keep the ups on if I am not using the pc or switch it off but keep the switch at the main socket on. Also when my room's ac's compressor turn on or off the ups goes into backup mode, simultaneously, and then work normally during the rest period. Any idea why it happens.

U can certainly keep ur UPS ON even wen u hv no work on ur PC or wen u hv SHUT DOWN ur PC coz by keeping the UPS in ON mode will help its battery to charge and there is no harm in keeping ur UPS in ON state for as long as u want,but as i said earlier that:-
2.)Once in a month or say 15 days,turn OFF ur UPS for half an hour and then turn it ON to recharge the batery.By doin so,the battery will always be in a good condition and will be in a state of CHARGE as well as DISCHARGE and the power failures will be prevented most efficiently by ur UPS.

And for ur other querry as to Y ur UPS goes into a BACK UP mode wen ur AC compressor is turned ON or OFF, well plz always and i say it again, always connect the UPS in a socket/power supply free from any other connections, DO NOT plug in any other devices like AC etc in combination to the UPS viz a 3-PIN plug coz the UPS needs sum free space to draw raw power and a smooth supply of power from the SOCKETs.

SO make sure that u hv not connected ur UPS and ur AC in the same socket,if u hv connected then plz connect ur UPS in a free socket and ur AC into a new 15 Ampere power supply socket and this shud solve ur problem and do post ur results here so that i/we can help u more efficiently :p: )

cheers n peace... :) :p

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Hmm wonder if you guys have the same setting, I have a big 2.2 KVA ups from APC (it costed me 65k). The speciality of this ups is that u don't need to keep it on to charge it. Just plug the cord in the mains and it charges the battery itself. This is a good feature coz if ur battery is descharged and u leave the ups on to charge and the power goes off the battery again discharges :(. Thats y i like my UPS.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Well i am a bit LOST for WORDS bro ! :? :shock: U need to check for any Loose ur cables goin into and out of the UPS if then also everything is fine and even then ur UPS goes into BACK UP mode for no reason, the best way will be to call a technician for the UPS and replace any parts that (MIGHT) have been damaged by any power surge without ur Notice also get check ur wiring of the ROOM in wich u hv kept ur UPS to check there is any sign of any Short Circuit,also try to Operate ur UPS without turning ON ur AC...do post ur results and let others also see this forum to help u better...

cheers n peace...

Kannan

In the zone
Many good branded UPS dont need to be switched on for battery charging. All you need is to keep the mains to the UPS on.

Also if you dont have any power cut for a whole month then its better that u run the system in UPS's battery mode to drain the battery (not fully just 75%) and recharge it. This will recycle the battery and keep it in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom