Is P4 3.0 Ghz better than Intel PD 2.8 Ghz 820 Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djn

Broken In
Planning to buy a Intel D102GGC2 motherboard with either a P4 3.0 Ghz cpu or the PD 2.8Ghz 820.
Is it true that the PD 820 has heating problems?
Which CPU is better in performance?
Is it possible to mount the D102GGC in my existing ATX cabinet, the rear panel may not match the motherboard sockets.
Thanks.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well , yes particularly the PentiumD 8xx series has some heat issues ... consdering the type of config., ur looking for , u should opt for a X2 3800+ and a Asus M2N-E ... it'd be much better than what ur looking for , and the CPU will infact be better than the PentiumD anyday ..

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Djn said:
Planning to buy a Intel D102GGC2 motherboard with either a P4 3.0 Ghz cpu or the PD 2.8Ghz 820.
Is it true that the PD 820 has heating problems?
Which CPU is better in performance?
Is it possible to mount the D102GGC in my existing ATX cabinet, the rear panel may not match the motherboard sockets.
Thanks.
If you see my signature below I use D805 processor on a D101Ggc mobo...I do extensive video encoding (I've been converting my vast collection of VCD movies to DVD's) while palying games such as NFS Carbon, Half Life2 Episode One, Fifa 2007 etc simultaniously...so far I have never experianced any heating problems. If you are options are between P4 3.0Ghz & D820 I'll pick D820 anyday. D820 definately out performs P4 3.0Ghz.
You will face problem with form factor in your existing ATX cabinet.

OP
D

Djn

Broken In
>>You will face problem with form factor in your existing ATX cabinet.
I do'nt know what form factor is.
I thought the mounting holes may not match and the rear panel would'nt fit.
You mean a microatx m/b cannot be fitted in an ATX cabinet?

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Djn said:
>>I thought the mounting holes may not match and the rear panel would'nt fit.
Yes that is correct.
Yes only Due to the mounting hole mismatch...but if you have the patience you can take it to any welder get the mounting holes welded to match D102Ggc...but before that try to place all the other peripherals in the cabinet to see that you won't have any problems eg. air flow

Last edited:

assasin

Banned
I've used a Pentium D 820 and the temps were very high as compared to my present proccy (Athlon X2 3800+).Aslo performance wise X2 will beat the P D anyday.Between P4 3.0GHz & P D 820,P D 820 is better.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Get an X2 3800+ or 4000+ nd if budget allows get a C2D. U can overclock either of them nd both has no heating problems as in prescotte nd PD.

OP
D

Djn

Broken In
Thanks for all the replies.
The idea was to buy the mb/cpu/ram in 12k as an upgrade, but it does'nt seem to be possible.
Looks like a new cabinet is needed too. Even if I use an Intel D915GAVL mb with a 3Ghz cpu/ 1 Gb ram the old cabinet does not have the slots in front for the USB ports.
My preference is for all Intel as my present system is all Intel, and I have never had the slightest problem with it.
Anyone know if the 915 chipset is better than the 102GGC? Which mb is more stable?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
All I can say is that the Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT heats up like a...its very hot (runs at about 60 degrees under no stress)

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Everybody have their own reviews,But the fact is some people face problems & some don't.Its all u who will decide what you have to buy.My openion would be that buy X3800+(65W) coz they sucks less power & better than D.

OP
D

Djn

Broken In
A google search finds that there are "brackets" which enable a microatx to be fitted into an ATX cabinet.
Wonder if they are available here?

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Djn said:
Anyone know if the 915 chipset is better than the 102GGC? Which mb is more stable?
D102GGC mobo uses ATI Radeon Xpress200 Chipset which is new & powerful compared to the 915 chipset which is over 3 years old.

Although 915 based mobo have stood the test of time because of their stability in the budget class I'd still recommend D102GGC because it's on a newer platform it uses DDR2 whereas 915 is DDR

The biggest drawback of D102GGC is it's cramped enviornmnet. The Memory and PCI-e slots are placed too close to comfort and if one is a bit careless it is easy to damage either the gfx card or the RAM module...worse yet both of'em.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom