Is Nexus 7(2012) still worth buying??

sdk

Broken In
So, with the new and better N7 in market,
1.Is it still a good move to buy the N7(2012) near the 9,000 price on flipkart?
2.How long shall it be supported with new android updates? If it is bought now, what do you think about its upgradibility for next 2 years?
3.Is the processor of N7 2012 capable of tackling all the applications on Google Play in today's terms?
And lastly,
The current prices are very attractive, but since walmart is selling the same near 100$ in usa, are prices supposed to sink a bit more?

$hadow

Geek in making
Well you are actually late on this. The device was on sale for 8k a little time back but now still it is a vfm. And the device will be Google device for another few months so it will also get the latest updates and after that custom ROM's are there. And you can use it for another 2 years or so with ease.

Hrishi

For a price tag of 9k , it is still worth it.
Updates are the very true essence of a Nexus 7 device.
Even if it fluctuates , it won't make major difference.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ And how's the 32GB version for 9900??
Has it been below this too?

The price on FK for 32 GB N7 (2012) was Rs 9900? Cause now its 10999.
I bought the 16 GB for 8999. So yes, that would have been a good deal.

Buy any Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi version keeping this thing in mind, that it doesn't have SIM slot. So the only option to connect your device to Internet is Wifi or a compatible 3G Dongle. But 3G from dongle is kind of buggy on Kitkat. On JB it used to work flawlessly. So buy Wifi version only if you are tight on budget, and if you have Wifi available. Or if you have no problem with sticking for JB for flawless 3G from dongles.

PS: I on the other hand have both installed in dual boot: Stock Kitkat and Cynanogenmod JB, on which 3G works flawlessly.

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
@Tarun: :)
@Vyom : And after going through the comment section in fk, it seems that 32 GB version has less "defective piece received" report.
Have you faced any glitches, screen flickers yet ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Vyom : And after going through the comment section in fk, it seems that 32 GB version has less "defective piece received" report.
Have you faced any glitches, screen flickers yet ?

What Tarun means is that less people have bought 32 GB version compared to 16 GB. So of course comparison is not fair.

As for me experiencing any flicker.. no I haven't.

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
@Vyom: Great :) ,
and do you think that spending the extra bucks for the 32 GB version is worth it? price difference 32gb-16gb = 10999,or,9900 - 8999,
and am I correct when I assume that if we leave N7(2013) and Tegra Note 7, N7(2012) has still the best hardware in 7" tab market (considering the sub 20k price range)?
For example, can I safely assume that N7 2012 can take on ppsspp emulator (although gaming is not the sole purpose, I want to know more about the processing capabilities)?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
@Vyom: Great :) ,
and do you think that spending the extra bucks for the 32 GB version is worth it? price difference 32gb-16gb = 10999,or,9900 - 8999,
and am I correct when I assume that if we leave N7(2013) and Tegra Note 7, N7(2012) has still the best hardware in 7" tab market (considering the sub 20k price range)?
For example, can I safely assume that N7 2012 can take on ppsspp emulator (although gaming is not the sole purpose, I want to know more about the processing capabilities)?

its powerful enough for ppsspp
dont think just buy it i feel other than 3g and the rear cam theres no other sane reason to get the 2013 model over the 2012 for the price difference
i have the 16gb model but i dont think there would be a difference in quality b/w 32gb and 16gb
i got 16gb coz 32gb was for 15k at the time and this was for 8k

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Extra space never hurts. Personally if price difference were this low that time, I Would have bought 32 gb version.

But it would not have made any difference in that I only would have got more space to store the files from torrent at once. Even in 16 gb model where I get about 13.68 gb, I have installed three OS on it, installed Asphalt 8, Real racing, GT racing, and other popular Android games, and still have around 5.5 gb left.

So you really need 32 gb if you like to carry hoards of movies on you device. Or desire to install every big games on the market at once.

Ps: I can attach my pen drive or ehdd directly to N7 to transfer data. ;)

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
@Vyom: have you tried attaching Gamepad/usb keyboard??
And how's Ubuntu Touch btw,
and in your opinion is it possible to watch 3 hr video tuts on it in one charging cycle?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
@Vyom: have you tried attaching Gamepad/usb keyboard??
And how's Ubuntu Touch btw,
and in your opinion is it possible to watch 3 hr video tuts on it in one charging cycle?

Yeah, it's possible!!! You really thought that Nexus 7 had such crappy battery life??? :wink:

I have seen some of my friends watching 4-5 movies on a single charge... That's about 7-9 hours battery life!!! :-D

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
^ Thanks for the reply dude,
Eagerly looking for someone in my circle with hdfc card, or I will have to buy it for 1k more....

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I myself haven't done stress test, but it lasts really long. Checkout this benchmark done by Tomshardware over a year ago:

*media.bestofmicro.com/2/G/346120/original/batterylifeh264.png

Source: Battery Life And Recharge Time - The Nexus 7 Review: Google's First Tablet Gets Benchmarked

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
Ok, so it is 100% certain that I am going to get this, but pls help me with these -
1. Can fk guys be trusted with credit card payments/upfront payments, have heard about lot of friends that they are awfully late in delivering non-COD orders?
2. Who offers a greater VFM - 16GB for 9k v/s 32GB for 11k?
3. If unfortunately I get a defective product, will I get an immediate replacement or I will have to send it to some Asus service center?
4. Have there been any lower price for 32Gb version than 11k?

ashs1

Padawan
1. fk guys can be trusted. there are cases where delivery of products takes lot of time but these are rare. They usually, deliver it quickly.
2. imo, 32gb for 11k is much more VFM.
3. Flipkart.com

Top Bottom