Is my hard disk about to crash? HELP

Hi, my 2b WD 20earx is making some very weird noises recently , guys please take 30 seconds of your time and listen to clip that i have posted to rapidshare(link below) .
Memo (1).m4a

Please note-no programs are running except torrent client and browser , its my primary hard disk(windows are installed in this hd only)

its an m4a format because its recorded from ip.

i dont wanna loose my 2tb of data, if its a serious problem ill make backup immediately.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@simarpal_sahni: Take a backup first.
& then send it for RMA.
the manufacturer don't give warranty on data.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^buddy now it is difficult to get even a new HDD,so you must be able to guess how much you HDD may take to get replaced.even in good conditions they will take a lot of time to replace the parts in india and in now this where there is scarcity of HDD and the things are getting even worse,the only thing we can say is we wish that you will get your HDD very early.

OP
S

simarpal_sahni

Broken In
ill make the backup, and wait for the hard disk to crash then ill send it for rma,hopefully it will work for another 4-6 months ..lol, i hope it wont harm other components of my pc.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Hi, my 2b WD 20earx is making some very weird noises recently , guys please take 30 seconds of your time and listen to clip that i have posted to rapidshare(link below) .
Memo (1).m4a

HDD is enjoying its last phase of life.. Back your data up, wait for it to be crushed automatically and then send it for rma.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Return merchandise authorization
here is the quote from wiki
A Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA, sometimes Return Merchandise Agreement or Goods Return Authorization) is a transaction whereby the recipient of a product arranges to return goods to the supplier to have the product repaired or replaced or in order to receive a refund or credit for another product from the same retailer or corporation within the product's warranty period. The RMA process and the issuance of an RMA is a key gatekeeping moment in the Reverse Logistics cycle.This term is highly used in the electronics industry as a part of service agreement according to which the customer returns the product back to the company and get a new or repaired product back, generally with an additional warranty on the returned product.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
ill make the backup, and wait for the hard disk to crash then ill send it for rma,hopefully it will work for another 4-6 months ..lol, i hope it wont harm other components of my pc.

Don't forget to wipe the disk with a minimum of 0 passes to avoid data recovery.

Last edited:

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
in simple sense if i am correct if there is some sensitive date in the hard drive zero fill the drive to avoid possibility of data recovery can be done using wd tools i.e data lifeguard diagnosis or acronis wd edition available for download at wd site

S_V

In the zone
Memo (1).m4a

Please note-no programs are running except torrent client and browser , its my primary hard disk(windows are installed in this hd only)

its an m4a format because its recorded from ip.

i dont wanna loose my 2tb of data, if its a serious problem ill make backup immediately.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Before going for RMA,,try this

Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics

Atleast it gives some idea about the condition of your HDD...

Before going through this...take backup of very imp data.. Though I believe this software will not destroy data. It will perform some tasks to check your Drive working condition.... If any of the Test failed then you should think about RMA.... Sometimes these Mechanical Drives makes lot of Noise but doesn't mean they are going to die.... Make sure it is getting some cool air....

Top Bottom