Is Java safe to use now

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys,

I had seen a news about a month ago that java has vulnerabilities and needs to be disabled on browsers.

But Is it safe to use java now?I need to check out some webpages running applets

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
java never was & probably never will be safe.in fact it is the platform of choice to launch zero-day attacks.the recent facebook attack was executed using the java vulnerability.though normal persons using net at home/normal places have almost zero chance of coming across such sophisticated attacks still always use the latest java(even if a beta) & enable it only for websites you trust & preferably run the browser in a sandbox for the java session.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Oracle did release a mammoth patch to patch all vulnerabilities. Not sure if they got all of them.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
they won't & that is why any cyber security expert recommend against enabling/using java unless absolutely necessary.the basic architecture of java itself is such that without re-building it from scratch it will never be secure.

draco21

Dragon...Dragon...Dragon.
I always use java for downloading videos from youtube or checking compatibility of game...... never faced an issue.....

z3rO

Journeyman
java never was & probably never will be safe.in fact it is the platform of choice to launch zero-day attacks.

:+1:

I am not using Java since Dec. 2012. Security reasons.
As whitestar already said, use the latest beta and use only if it is really necessary.

gameranand

Living to Play
Me too...not using Java for the same reasons. Last time some browser wrecked my PC because of Java. :|

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Wow...and I used to thought Java is most secure (as I have heard before). And I'm not aware about the news. I'd be glad if someone can share the link please..!!

Vignesh B

Youngling
Hey guys,

I had seen a news about a month ago that java has vulnerabilities and needs to be disabled on browsers.

But Is it safe to use java now?I need to check out some webpages running applets
As already stated above, java is never safe. Options you have -
1. Enable click to play(bit cumbersome as you have to manually enable all the plugins each time you require)
2. Uncheck the option of "enable Java in browser" in Control Panel and whenever you require java just recheck the option. (This is what I do)
3. Completely uninstall Java(Too cumbersome)

Wow...and I used to thought Java is most secure (as I have heard before). And I'm not aware about the news. I'd be glad if someone can share the link please..!!
Another Java flaw exploited. This is a news from March 1. Yet again. :evil:

Furthermore, the default option in Java is to check for update once in a month..

Top Bottom