Is it the right way to add a new HDD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

titun

Is this the correct way to add a new HDD to my system ??

There is a CD-RW, a DVD-ROM and a 40 GB SATA HDD. I want to add another 80 GB HDD to it. The new one also has to be SATA, instead of new SATA2, right folks ??

I think the current master/slave configuration in my system is as I have attached the pic :

My HDD is primary master.
CD-RW is secondary master.
DVD-ROM is secondary slave.

So I think by attaching the new HDD to the old one as primary slave should be right. Am I correct.

I can see the masters only get direct power source. Is it so ??

And as there is a open point/pin, don't know exactly what the end of the bus wire is called, by attaching that point to new HDD should get the job done, right ??

Is BISO configuration needed or will my ASUS MB & XP will recognise the change automatically ?

Please tell me if I am wrong.

assasin

Banned
If ur mobo supports SATA,then u can even add a SATA hdd.

attach ur new hdd as primary slave.it'll work.

Eazy

Journeyman
All SATA HDDs are masters. Each SATA HDD is attached in its own channel. You should get a SATA II HDD and if your mother board does not support SATA II then you should set it as a SATA I drive - this is normally done via a jumper at back of HDD.

The new HDD will be picked up by the BIOS automatically as long as the channel to which you attach the new drive is ENABLED in the BIOS. In XP you will have to start Disk Management and first Intialise the HDD and partition and format it - only after this will the new HDD show up in Windows Explorer and be ready for use.

OP
T

titun

Thanks for replies guys.

Now I feel confident about adding the HDD myself.

Enjoy reputation points.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@titun
there are more things that u shud know.
If ur mobo is an nforce one and ur mobo has 4x sata connectors [they are SATA 1,2,3,4 namely], then u shud connect HDDs at sata connector 1 and 3 if u have 2 sata HDD[ be it sata or sata2] and the system will boot from the one connected to sta connector 1 only.
just get another sata cable[red one] and connect it to HDD and mobo as mentioned above. If dun have any free sata power connector u can get a normal molex[the one that powers optical drives] to sata adapter for 20 bucks.

Anyway, i wont recoment u to go for an 80 GB new sata as prices are much low and u can get a 160 GB seagate sata2 @ 2600/- and even a 250 GB seagate sta2 for 3500/-. So its waste to buy 80 GB @2000/- as u will ger 160 for just 600 bucks more, or 250 for just 1500 bucks more.

Eazy

Journeyman
aravind_n20 said:
@titun
there are more things that u shud know.
If ur mobo is an nforce one and ur mobo has 4x sata connectors [they are SATA 1,2,3,4 namely], then u shud connect HDDs at sata connector 1 and 3 if u have 2 sata HDD[ be it sata or sata2] and the system will boot from the one connected to sta connector 1 only.

For about a year now I have run 3 SATA HDDS on an ASUS A8N-E board - 2 Hitachi 250GB HDDs are connected to Port 1 and 2 and I have another HDD connected to the 4th Port which is in an eSATA external case. I have no problems booting and running the OS (XP and Vista) from any of the 3 HDDs - I did not install a boot loader but installed the OS on each HDD when it was the only HDD connected to the computer - so each HDD is independant to the others. This has worked fine for me on this setup and also on my older Intel 875 chipset setup.

Any reason for not using SATA Port 2 when 2 HDDs are connected ?

Last edited:

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
whats the difference between IDE hd and SATA HD ?????

i have currently IDE 20gb hd. Can i remove it and attach a 80gb SATA ? do i need to do anthing in bios for it ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom