Is it safe to clear C:\Windows\Temp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enticer86

Stay Silent!
I install the OS, drivers, apps and utilities. I set up everything ready for use exactly the way I want them - printer settings, word processor settings, download settings, file associations, internet connection, desktop shortcuts, registrations and validations, etc., etc. Then I make a Ghost image of the system partition.

It takes a lot of patience, but it's worth it. Whenever I want to reinstall everything, which is roughly once every three to five months, I just restore it from the Ghost backup and it takes less than 10 minutes.

GR88888888888888888 idea.

anandk

Distinguished Member
You can delete the contents of this temp folder. To ease things use freeware CCleaner.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
while using ccleaner, do not clear the cache of firefox and opera, you will be wasting unnecessary bandwidth by doing that.
in start>run type %temp% and see for yourself what it contains. parts of all softwares you have installed. so deleting them is safe.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
WOW...
This thread has taken a great turn...
Somebody change the title.. Optimize your pc :)

T

The Conqueror

get tuneup utilities 08, the best for cleaning junk files

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
You can visit following tutorial to know which files/folders are safe to delete to gain free space:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=382334

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Buy lotsa dvds at <=8 bucks and write whatever you may need later.

But any DVD less then 8 bucks is not genuine for data storage 4 a longer period.:rolleyes:

Delete all games.

Yup...but only unwanted...& no longer played....:D

Dont uninstall.

y...(shift + delete)...1st uninstall the game...& then shift+del the traces frm the installed folder such c:/programfiles...

it gives you a good feeling :D

Ya..absolutely....it feels nice after burning a backp DVD...:lol:

While installing any soft, go to the settings and untick all you dont need.

ya...also known as custom install....:D

I installed only word and powerpoint.
me2 :rolleyes: but also access,excel...others r crap 4 me...:smile:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
We have strayed a bit from the original topic, but since we've been talking about backups, here's another tip. If, like me, you keep changing and adding to your browser bookmarks and don't want to lose them when you reinstall, here's what you can do.

Back up the small bookmark/favorite files to another partition before you format the system partition. Then, after you've reinstalled your system partition, copy the bookmark/favorites files back to the proper directory, replacing any files of the same name there. Here are the default locations in Win XP:

Internet Explorer: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites\

Opera: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\opera6.adr

Firefox: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\bookmarks.html

The name of the folder given as "xxxxxxxx.default" for Firefox is an 8-character name generated at the time of installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom